Archinect
anchor

Resume design

tcbearth

Does any one have good suggestions for CV/resume design - helpful sites or samples?

May 16, 11 11:46 pm
trace™

Not necessarily recommending any of these, but you might get some ideas:

http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2009/04/01/10-handy-tips-for-web-design-cvs-and-resumes/

Google is your friend ;-)

May 17, 11 12:00 am  · 
 · 
tbone

I really don't think it is a good idea to make them colorful and over designed.  I think you should keep it very simple and clean.  Maybe only 1 color, if any.  Your resume needs to speak for itself with your experience, not graphics and colors.  You should be very clear and careful how your word your experiences as well.  My current employer had an ad on craigslist for a while and showed me some really awful ones she got.  They were all colorful and over designed.  I created mine in illustrator so I could have control over the text spacing and such.

May 17, 11 12:12 am  · 
 · 
AbrahamNR

I always though this was a good example.

http://www.good.is/post/good-redesigns-a-readers-resume/

May 17, 11 3:54 am  · 
 · 
Token AE

I find it a lot easier to use a tool like InDesign to get a very clean and sleek layout- I wouldn't even touch MS word if you have the option.

May 17, 11 6:49 am  · 
 · 
trace™

Abra - that is a good example of a nice improvement.

Same rules apply to all design:  clarity and hierarchy.  Keep it clean and simple, if using color make sure it is nothing over the top.  

Illustrator is a perfect tool for resume making.

May 17, 11 8:29 am  · 
 · 

Thanks for that Abraham. That redesigned resume finally gives me a perfect solution for how to demonstrate odd jobs, professional organization roles and volunteering positions!

May 17, 11 9:23 am  · 
 · 
tcbearth

Thanks so much all! The GOOD example is great, and there's certainly a lot of food for thought in at smashingmagazine.

May 17, 11 2:11 pm  · 
 · 
da_la

keep it simple and clean. be creative with your portfolio. they usually go together.

May 17, 11 2:12 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

don't fear the serif.

May 17, 11 2:26 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

i shot the serif

but i did not shoot lithography

May 17, 11 2:53 pm  · 
 · 
x intern

My resume looks very similar to the one on the good site and I've had good luck with it.  As a design professional at least include a one page teaser with your resume.  Your resume and portfolio should be well laid out and easy to read.  The work should speak for itself and if you have to splash crazy unrelated graphics, weird back grounds or a lot of effects around to make it look good the issue isn't resume or portfolio layout.

Dec 22, 14 11:18 am  · 
 · 
Mr_Wiggin

Old thread, but if it's going to be a repository for knowledge I'll add a great resource that I used.  No Plastic Sleeves

They have a book out as well with a new edition that was published this year.  Best comprehensive portfolio/resume/self-marketing resource I've found.

Dec 22, 14 12:00 pm  · 
 · 
Bench

I also found No Plastic Sleeves a great resource. In addition, I supplemented it with Harold Linton's Portfolio Design - http://portfoliodesign.com/ . I was only able to get an older copy, so most of the technical information was out-of-date, but the principles were all there and very helpful. They've since released a newer copy (2012 I think?), which I can only assume is even more insightful.

Dec 22, 14 12:37 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: