Archinect
anchor

Opening in a 4hr rated wall

mdler

okay folks, here's my dilema...

I have a 4hr wall that I need to put a 3hr fire rated door in. I need the door to be used as a means of egress during a fire. Can I do this or does this ruin my 4hr rating?

I have seen 3hr rated roll down doors that completely shut off the opening during a fire. These cant be used for egress, obviously.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Oct 9, 07 2:44 pm
work for idle hands

i don't see why it would be any different than a rated door into a 2 hr stairwell egress corridor wall as long as you follow the prodedures for closing and operating hardware, direction of swing, sizing, signage etc.. obviously the fact that those open and close doesn't affect the rating of the separation, but not knowing what the uses you're separating are i can't say for sure. if its a blast wall in an industrial use for instance that might have to be completely sealed off in a fire, not sure.

worst thing you might have to do is double up the doors, that is make a little rated vestibule perhaps within the 4 hr wall.

Oct 9, 07 3:10 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

ibc 705.8 Openings- Each opening through a fire wall shall be protected in accordance with section 714.2 and shall not exceed 120 s,f. . the aggregate width of openings at any floor level sahll not exceed 25 percent of the length of the wall.

exceptions:

1. openings are not permitted in party walls constructed in accordance with section 503.2

2. openings shall not be limited to 120 s.f. where both buildings are equipped throughout with an automatic sprinkler system insatalled in accordance with section 903.3.1.1.

Oct 9, 07 3:11 pm  · 
 · 
FOG Lite

that just off the top of your head, vado?

Oct 9, 07 3:22 pm  · 
 · 
n_

Vado knows all.

Oct 9, 07 3:29 pm  · 
 · 
cln1

Here in MA

780CMR 716.0 Fire Door Assemblies
Table 716.1

allows for a 3 hour protection assembly in a 4 hour wall / fire separation assembly.

I know your not in MA, so... not sure if that helps

Oct 9, 07 3:33 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

In LA

Oct 9, 07 3:33 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

all they tought me in architecture school was how to draw purdy pictures

Oct 9, 07 3:37 pm  · 
 · 
cln1

I found that in Chapter 7 - Fireresistant Materials and Construction

if the answer is not in a similar section of the applicable code, you can always ask your local building official for a ruling

Oct 9, 07 3:40 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

the thing about codes is that until you have a specific issue to deal with you may not know what to look for or where to look.

Oct 9, 07 3:41 pm  · 
 · 
work for idle hands

the other thing about codes is it helps to know what code you're using.. does the city of LA have their own code (i've never worked there)? if so you probably shouldn't refer to IBC necessarily..... what occupancy classification you are, what is the separation separating, etc... all of that makes a difference in what you can/cannot do

Oct 9, 07 3:47 pm  · 
 · 
tlmII

if I'm not mistaken you can get roll down fire doors with a built-in man door; also Won-Door makes something similar with a folding fire partition with a man-door install.

Oct 9, 07 3:50 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

won-door...man-door...

i am thinking dirty thoughts

Oct 9, 07 3:56 pm  · 
 · 
work for idle hands

just don't confuse them with man holes

Oct 9, 07 4:03 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

i was thinking won-door also.

they're basically fire shutters but have a built in egress that's functional after the door closes. expensive though.

it all comes down to the fire marshall and what he thinks is appropriate. he's the one that ends up interpreting the code.

Oct 9, 07 6:11 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

you use a won-door to close off a corridor, usually in a hospital. i don't think it applies here.

i think vado's ibc quote is probably right on unless your local building code/official says something different.

Oct 9, 07 6:23 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ
Each opening through a fire wall shall be protected in accordance with section 714.2

what does 714.2 say?

Oct 9, 07 6:26 pm  · 
 · 
upside

you could try contacting manufactures that supply for laboratory construction, I did the specs on a couple of 3 and 4hr (single leaf, 850/2100mm) doors for a university last year. the leaf, seals and hardware were all proprietary items. doors were pretty standard really. 55mm thick solid core with 3mm steel cladding.

Oct 9, 07 6:27 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

i found IBC 714.2 and according to its table, a 4hr wall can have an opening assembly of 3hr min. i'm asuming the door also has to be self-closing/tight fitting like a door from the garage to inside. i don't know if l.a. is similar.

Oct 9, 07 7:02 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: