Archinect
anchor

Help in identifying a hinge type

LB_Architects

I'm trying to find a particular hinge, but I don't know the type or name and I can't find it online using descriptive terms.  I've seen it used mostly in retail stores.  I'll attempt to describe it, though every manufacturer I call says they have no door hinges like this.

I believe the hinge is a center pivot hinge, but when the door is pushed or pulled open the hardware slides the door closer to the hinge and increases the clear opening.  I've always thought it felt a bit odd opening these doors, but it might just save me some hassle on a project that has tight clearance issues.  For the life of me I can't find a spec online, but I know it exists.  Any help would be appreciated!

May 16, 11 10:53 am
Rusty!

Look up 'swing clear hinge' and lemme know if that's what you mean.

Also 'full surface swing clear hinge'.

May 16, 11 11:44 am  · 
 · 
LB_Architects

Hi Rusty...These are close, but not exactly the kind I'm looking for.  I should clarify that the hinge in question not only pulls closer to the hinge, but it also pulls back a bit so the swing clearance is reduced. For example, this door will be used in a stairwell, and by code I need a specific swing distance to the center railing.  This pivot would kick the door back towards the hinge so that distance is increased, thereby making the door code compliant. I hope this helps clarify what I'm looking for...It's kinda hard to describe...

May 16, 11 11:55 am  · 
 · 
Rusty!

FP, are you sure you are not describing a cabinetry hinge? swing clear hinge will get you an opening as far as the distance between door stops in the frame. Can't go bigger than that. And yes, you need door stops in a fire rated door assembly.

May 16, 11 12:13 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

"Harmon Hinge" ?

May 16, 11 12:22 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

Are you thinking of an offset floor closer? If not, I'd download a Rixson catalog and see what they offer.

May 16, 11 12:23 pm  · 
 · 
LB_Architects

No, it's not a cabinetry hinge,  harmon hinge, or offset floor closer...I've  typically seen them used on storefronts for retail stores. It has a double arm that kicks the door back.  If you've ever used it you know what I'm talking about because it feels odd to open these types of doors because it doesn't swing like a typical door.  

Truth is what I'm thinking about might not work because I doubt I can maintain the fire rating necessary at the stairwell with this hinge...but was hoping to call manufacturers to see if they offer a fire-rated version.  

May 16, 11 12:44 pm  · 
 · 
antipod
antipod

And there was a cheeky internal resi. version i found as well:

http://dornob.com/space-saving-double-swing-doors-pivot-on-hidden-hinges/

May 16, 11 12:53 pm  · 
 · 
LB_Architects

Bingo!  Thanks archipod! This is what I was looking for!  Thanks again everyone!

May 16, 11 12:57 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

wait, which one was it? Cause neither accomplish even close to what you are setting out to do...

" when the door is pushed or pulled open the hardware slides the door closer to the hinge and increases the clear opening"

You mean it doesn't swing all the way out? Swing is the limiting factor?

Confused.

May 16, 11 1:06 pm  · 
 · 
LB_Architects

The besam link does what I wanted...It pushes the door tight against the jamb, and it also kicks the door back so the swing is pulled in towards the door.

If you click on the Besam link, then click 'global documentation,' and then click the pdf titled 'BDS,' there's a plan diagram of the door action.  I don't think these are fire rated, but it gives me a start. Sorry if I didn't describe what I was looking for clearly enough. I didn't know how best to describe the movement...

May 16, 11 1:41 pm  · 
 · 
postal

ah, rusty, i think FP actually described it well considering the odd function.  Though I haven't really run into then with any frequency, i do remember that "it felt a bit odd" going in and out of the main entrances to crown hall...  I think these were used here to mitigate the wind pressure.

May 16, 11 1:59 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

how can this be fire rated?  there's no door stop is there?

also..it doesn't seem like these would be great doors for egress doors either..but i could be wrong.

May 16, 11 2:23 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

Thanks for clarification FP! Although I still don't see how this maximizes the opening width. It does minimize the swing area, but does nothing on the width issue.

In any case, such door can be technically classified as a double swing door, and as such could never be fire rated.

I'm always open to being proven wrong.

May 16, 11 2:57 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

@rusty! - i don't think FP is looking to reduce opening width but rather the clearance from the door swing to a nearby obstruction (stairway railing). curious to see what the code official says.

no fire rating for this assembly.

May 16, 11 3:11 pm  · 
 · 
LB_Architects

yes...it's a dilemma...I'm not sure it can be fire rated also.  I have a call into the manufacturer.  We'll see.  Thanks for all your input...and again, sorry if my description as a bit confusing.  

May 16, 11 4:15 pm  · 
 · 
Bruce Prescott

The name for that type of door is "balanced," as the part of the door that swings inward balances some of the weight/wind load.  These guys claim to offer a rated one, though it is an expensive piece of hardware for just an exit stair.

http://www.cjrush.com/index.asp?MODE=BAL_DOORS

May 17, 11 2:12 am  · 
 · 
larslarson

what i'm confused about is how this door is hitting a railing?  doesn't seem particularly possible without significantly impinging on path of travel...

May 17, 11 10:30 am  · 
 · 
Tectonic

Wow - that is a cool hinge!

May 18, 11 6:46 pm  · 
 · 
antipod

I don't quite understand the useage and it's probably different in 'murka, but on this side of the Atlantic you usually see these at the front entrances to shopping malls and the like.  Mostly because with an automatic opener fitted (I've never actually seen a manual version), they're much faster at achieving a significant width opening than a slider or hinged door, so they can open and close faster and reduce the amount of heat lost during the winter months.

That said i've also never seen any nice looking ones as the operation gear always seems to be quite bulky.  Maybe there's better ones available now.

May 19, 11 4:55 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: