Archinect
anchor

3 January

Quondam

Almost two months ago, I decided to break down Ichnographia Quondam into 12 rectangles instead of 9 squares, thus more emulating Nolli's map of Rome and hence Roma Interrotta as well. Each of the rectangles is a clickable image. Not sure where exactly this projected is head over the coming year, but at least it's started.

Jan 3, 13 11:21 am
aphorismal

Can we get some moderation over here?  Seriously, nobody gives a shit about your blog, stop posting it.

Jan 3, 13 2:38 pm
tranz kafka

speak for yourself. i like it.

Jan 3, 13 3:39 pm
aphorismal

There's a section of this site specifically labeled "Blogs" for this purpose.

Jan 3, 13 4:02 pm
Quondam

aphorismal, instead of taking the easy, negative path of criticism, why don't you just post something better?

Jan 3, 13 4:07 pm
FRaC

keep 'em comin', Q!

i dig the random, non-sequiturousness of it all

Jan 3, 13 4:11 pm
aphorismal

Quondam, if I did, I would post it in the BLOG section.  I'm not saying this isn't worth reading, its just not worth reading HERE.

Jan 3, 13 4:40 pm
tranz kafka

are you saying this is not as worthy as yo mama, architectural style?

Jan 3, 13 4:54 pm
Quondam

aphorismal, look at what you're complaining about. Is your argument even worth anything?

Jan 3, 13 5:10 pm
boy in a well

fuck. when did they lower the drinking age at this pub?

Jan 4, 13 12:04 am
quondam...

All architecture is artificial, even to the point where you can say that architecture is the most artificial thing on this planet. And if architecture is to be truthful, it can really only be truthful to its artificiality. Moreover, it is that architecture that most pushes its artificiality to the extreme/edge that becomes the best architecture.
I'm speaking here mostly of real architecture, designs that are built. Virtual architecture (designs that could be built but aren't) and post-real virtual architecture (architecture that was built but no longer exists) express their truthfulness in other ways.

I'd say the real shell architectures were those caves some humans used to live in, and beyond that architecture became an applied shell, and going to an(other) extreme, a space station is all shell, but hardly natural.

...Egyptian architecture is an architecture of extremes.
The extremes of Egyptian architecture are somewhat obvious, and the great Pyramid is the best extreme example. The Great Pyramid is of extreme size, extreme abstraction of geometry, extreme polish, and extreme program--architecture of death. It could even be said that ancient Egyptian architecture goes in the extreme opposite direction from the rest of world architecture, primarily in terms of life vs. death, and light vs. darkness.
The temples of ancient Egypt also exemplify an extreme in that the inner-most sanctuary is of total darkness. Moreover, the architecture throughout is an extreme use of stone. (This last comment reminds me of Stonehenge in its extreme use of stone also, and its alignment with the summer solstice, an extreme solar condition, the longest day.)
An interesting reverse extreme in ancient Egyptian history is the temple architecture of Akhenaten where there was no roof at all, only extreme sunlight. Akhenaten is also extreme himself within Egyptian history as being the "heretic" Pharaoh because he transformed Egyptian religion from extreme polytheism to and absolute monotheism.

In September 2001, while seeing a display of quartz crystals (each labeled as to its geographic origin) compiled over 100 years ago, I thought it would be cool if the buildings of any global location started to match the formations of the local quartz. It was after seeing Harz Mountain quartz that the idea crystallized.

critical regionalism

roof plan
elevation

Jan 3, 17 8:00 pm

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

• ×Search in: