Archinect
anchor

Good architecture books that will help with my architectural education?

ariels

Just wondering if you guys recommend any really good architecture books (in regards to history, interior design history, design, sustainability, modern art, furniture, and anything that would be really helpful as I study for my new architectural year next year). I really am determined to do better than what I've done this year and I was hoping are there any books that have helped you and have did great for your architecture school experience in some way?

Most of what I have already are:

• The Poetics of Space by Gaston Bachelard
  • A Pattern Language: Towns, Buildings, Construction by Christopher Alexander
  • The Death and Life of Great American Cities by Jane Jacobs
  • Thinking Architecture by Peter Zumthor
  • A History of Interior Design by John Pile
  • 101 Things I Learnt in Architecture School by Matthew Frederick
  • How Buildings Learn: What Happens After They're Built by Stewart Brand
  • Michael Wallraff: Vertical Public Space by Brigitte Felderer

I'm not looking for anything specific. I'm just looking to see if you guys have any books that have helped you in one way or another. I'm determined to improve in my second year of architecture school and would love to study during my long break.

Dec 18, 12 11:10 am

http://www.amazon.com/Social-Life-Small-Urban-Spaces/dp/097063241X

http://www.amazon.com/Design-Juries-Trial-Renaissance-Studio/dp/0442002351

http://www.amazon.com/Kenneth-Frampton/e/B000APL18K

Design Juries on Trial gave me some perspective on how to extract the most out of the design studio and the often emotionally draining crits.  I had a class with the author and used the ideas and concepts to great effect.  This book is more about getting more out of education.

The social life of small urban spaces is awesome, and if you can find the movie that was part of the research it is so much fun to watch.  What was true in the early 80s is still true today, having an understanding of how people use space is very useful. Also this book and film is a nice little package of a research thesis use it as a framework for future research.  It is very clear, ask a question, document the method of research in this case direct observation, make assumptions and then methodically prove or disprove them.

Also Kenneth Frampton  Such a good design critic and often poetic in his descriptions of work, this should be right up you ally and he is widely acclaimed and stands up to rigorus academic scrutiny. I would recommend his books just for the bibliography which can send you down the path of critical thinking of the modern and contemporary architecture often explored in academic studies today. You can find his work in almost any design school library.

Dec 18, 12 12:03 pm  · 
 · 
ariels

Thank you for the suggestions! Will definitely look into these!

Dec 18, 12 12:59 pm  · 
 · 
accesskb

Atmospheres - Zumthor

Design Strategies in Architecture (An approach to the analysis of form) - Geoffrey Baker

Construction Detailing - David Kent Ballast

Interior Detailing - David Kent Ballast

Lessons for Students in Architecture - Herman Hertberger (and all his other books)

Scarpa's books have plenty of sketches that always give me ideas.

Dec 18, 12 2:22 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

On Weathering

Dec 19, 12 11:48 pm  · 
 · 
crow202

In praise of shadows - tanizaki Poetics of music in the form of six lectures - Stravinsky (may sound odd but this book is great for any creative mind. It's not just for musicians)

Dec 20, 12 7:41 pm  · 
 · 
zonker

Idea of Order - Louis kahn

Also - just down the street from where I work - Steven Holl used to work there

http://www.stoutbooks.com/cgi-bin/stoutbooks.cgi/results_splash.html?cat1=Architecture&cat2=History%20%26%20Theory&id=tDyENW6S

Questions of Perception - Holl

http://www.stoutbooks.com/cgi-bin/stoutbooks.cgi/71167.html

Dec 20, 12 8:13 pm  · 
 · 
accesskb

Architecture: Form, Space and Order - Francis Ching.  <--- extremely graphical book, most techniques which you'll learn or encounter during architecture school.  I wish I got my hands on these before starting undergrad or very early on.  It wouldn't save me so much time and allowed me to focus on other important issues concerning architecture.

Dec 20, 12 9:04 pm  · 
 · 
A.Gann
I have become addicted to the Pamphlet Architecture series by Princeton Architectural Press Each book is well crafted and offers a diverse range of architectural ideas!
Dec 20, 12 10:18 pm  · 
 · 
jfree9292
Yes is more - big
Dec 25, 12 4:56 pm  · 
 · 

frampton's modern architecture a critical history is pretty good, though rather dense.

in general i find the best books about architecture are written about something else. except for histories when architects try to put pen to paper things go awry.  maybe this is why folks like koolhaas never write about their own work but keep text and design relatively separate...

Dec 25, 12 6:55 pm  · 
 · 
s=r*(theta)

there's a great video "so you want to be an architect"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlLvi2q5M3w

Dec 26, 12 5:14 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

"The Art of War"  Sun Tzu   It is a must read if you want to survive in the World of Architecture.

Dec 26, 12 5:39 pm  · 
 · 

I agree with accesskb.  Architecture:  Form, Space and Order is a great source for the basics in architecture.  It lays out fundamental principles clearly and with excellent examples.  Building Construction Illustrated, also by Ching is very useful.

I wish I had paid more attention to it when I was in school.

Dec 26, 12 9:45 pm  · 
 · 
zoroaster

"Theoretical Anxiety and Design Strategies in the Work of Eight Contemporary Architects" by Rafael Moneo

I second accesskb's Herman Herzberger book...

Also, don't forget Rem Koolhaas "S,M,L,XL"...

Dec 28, 12 2:33 pm  · 
 · 
andrewmikhaelarch

Here's a list I compiled. Some of the books already mentioned above. One I didn't have but highly recommend now that I'm reminded is Herman Hertzberger's book - I third that one!

http://www.andrewmikhael.com/blog/2017/5/29/14-books-every-hopeful-architect-will-need-expert-advice

Jun 15, 17 9:44 am  · 
 · 
z6jbishop

Mechanical and Electrical Equipment for Buildings, 12th Edition

http://www.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle/productCd-1118615905.html

Jun 15, 17 12:50 pm  · 
 · 
corbismyhomeboy

Modern Architecture: A Critical History - Kenneth Frampton

Building Construction Illustrated - Ching (when you get further into school Building Codes Illustrated is also helpful!)

Towards a New Architecture - Le Corbusier

With all of these, it's good to sit with them and really try to get to the core of what is being conveyed.  I think I read the Frampton probably 10x during architecture school, just for fun.

Look up some of the Detail magazines, probably available in your school's library, or books like Traditional Details for Building Restoration, Renovation, and Rehabilitation (Ramsey Sleeper) and study how some of the typical details are constructed for both historic buildings/materials and some of the newer buildings you may be seeing discussed.  Think about what the materials are doing. (Is it keeping out water? Providing structural stability?) How are the materials attached to the building?  But also look at the graphics the architect used - what is the level of specificity and how are the different materials graphically represented?

Jun 16, 17 9:58 am  · 
 · 
Driko

The Art of the Deal - Donald J. Trump

Jun 16, 17 2:33 pm  · 
 · 
spectacular vernacular

streets for people, Rudofsky: walkability/ place

ghost, Brian Mckay Lyons: critical regionalism

hot to cold, BIG: the problem is the solution/ style is the sum of your inhibitions

Thomas Heatherwick, Making: great design for every scale/ unexpected greatness

Public Natures, Weiss Manfredi: design from the outside in landscape as a shared priority to architecture and the enclosed

honestly though, spend deliberate time outside/ inside finding places you love. spend as much time as possible in your favorite locations and think, sketch, ponder on what it is that creates the places/ experiences/ atmospheres in which you enjoy spending time/ building memories. if you find yourself wanting to recreate and enhance those experiences, then you have a objective more complete than a book can provide.

refer to your collection of monographs ( anything by Gustavo Gili, Christian Schittich, El Croquis, House, AU, Tashen, teNeues etc) when you are ready to get more of a glimpse of how others have achieved that which is similar to what you want to achieve at a more detailed level.

Jun 18, 17 7:01 pm  · 
 · 
alexandragadjeva

Hi! I look for this book : Modern architecture :a critical history by Kenneth Frampton, 4th edition. 

Please send me a file of this book, not a link! 

Email : alexuberance@gmail.com

Thanks in advance! 

Nov 14, 17 10:18 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: