Sep 12, 07 3:32 pm  · 
 · 
phuyaké

thomas phifer - salt point house

Sep 12, 07 3:42 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

keeping in w/ the beton sakralbauten:

the wood panels are a nice touch - are they for ventilation?
reminds me of the buenzli + courvosier school in niederhasli (operable solid wood panel for ventilation, fixed transparent panel for view)

Sep 12, 07 3:56 pm  · 
 · 
simples

Kister Scheithauer Gross, Cologne Church of Mary Magdalene Freiburg im Breisgau, 2002-2004

or church for 2 denominations, freiburg according to their webpage...

Sep 12, 07 5:06 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

damn. too simple for simples. what gave it away?

Sep 12, 07 5:29 pm  · 
 · 
simples

by:

(i like this picture of him)

Sep 12, 07 5:38 pm  · 
 · 
simples

holz...it felt like germany to me, and the selux light fixtures confirmed it...then i yahooe'd - church "exposed concrete" germany - and the 4th link was about an exhibition on the goethe institute on sacred place in the urban context (3rd picture down matched your last picture posted)...in other words...just lucky!

their webpage (Kister Scheithauer Gross) is really a pain to navigate through...i am enjoying browsing through all these great firms/architects...

Sep 12, 07 5:44 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

you picked those fixtures out as selux? good eye.

damn too many clues dropped i guess.

and yeah, the webpage is horrible.

Sep 12, 07 5:48 pm  · 
 · 
simples

i am spec'ing selux (those exact fixtures are one of the options) for a new plaza and mall entry...that's how i recognized them...

Sep 12, 07 6:01 pm  · 
 · 
a-f

That's a concentrated Paulo Mendes da Rocha, isn't it? Not sure about the project... is it SENAC in Campinas?

Sep 13, 07 3:35 am  · 
 · 

a-f, that was also what i was thinking, but the building - not sure.

Sep 13, 07 4:13 am  · 
 · 
simples

*hints*
right country...wrong architect...another "sao paulo brutalist" though...not so well known outside brazil, but he was one of my heroes...
i love me some concrete!

here is a key exterior detail

and a photo of the interior

Sep 13, 07 9:59 am  · 
 · 
AP

joao batista vilanova artigas, U. de Sao Paulo arch school

Sep 13, 07 10:42 am  · 
 · 
simples

correct! i just wanted to share "Vilanova Artigas" w/ you guys...i am still happy that Paulo Mendes da Rocha got his recognition...i promise to stay away from brazil next time i get to post something!

Sep 13, 07 11:12 am  · 
 · 
AP

that is a more elegant (and likable) brutalism than many of its US counterparts.

staying tropical/sub-tropical:

above are 4 projects by the same architect. the earthen structure (a duplex) and the low-slung white structure (a triplex) are the oldest (30+ years). i think the triangular wood-sided structure (the architect's home) is a bit newer than those, but still a few decades old). the corbusier-esque folded sectional structure (home to the architect's son and grandchildren) is less than 10 years old. there are 4-6 other single family homes on this block by the architect.

educated at harvard under the deanship gropius and then sert, worked at the office of paul rudolph. lives and practices in florida.

*regarding why 'preview' doesn't work on this thread: preview only works on the first page of threads. so...i usually preview posts like this one on some other 1 page thread. every now and then i accidentally hit submit.

Sep 13, 07 11:25 am  · 
 · 
larslarson

now i just have to find where you posted this before...

Sep 13, 07 11:28 am  · 
 · 
AP

no, don't cheat (although that's borderline cheating...disputable i guess). also, don't check my flickr account. earn it! it's more rewarding to stumble upon it...

Sep 13, 07 11:37 am  · 
 · 
simples

Morgan House, Atlantic Beach by William Morgan...(the triangular architects house)...his webiste doesn't list or show the other houses, so i don't know the name for them...

http://www.williammorganarchitects.com/

Sep 13, 07 1:19 pm  · 
 · 
simples

here is another easy one to keep the thread moving...
from concrete to brick...

Sep 13, 07 1:59 pm  · 
 · 
phuyaké

roto - prairie view A&M university art + arch building

Sep 13, 07 2:21 pm  · 
 · 
phuyaké

that project reminds me of office da's work

here's the next, with a nice view:

Sep 13, 07 2:47 pm  · 
 · 
phuyaké

no takers?

Sep 13, 07 5:14 pm  · 
 · 

phuyaka I take it its not studio da?

Sep 13, 07 5:37 pm  · 
 · 
phuyaké

I should have worded it differently, the ROTO building has always reminded me of Office dA's folding brick entry ways they have in a few of their earlier works.

The last two pictures are the next building up (and unrelated to dA).

Sep 13, 07 5:40 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

looks chilean. fascinating

Sep 13, 07 5:51 pm  · 
 · 
phuyaké

right country holz... for both the building and the architects

here's a couple more images

Sep 13, 07 6:20 pm  · 
 · 
aml

[wild guess] maybe mathias klotz? [/wild guess]

Sep 13, 07 6:32 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

felipe asadi, guthrie house. knew i had seen it before.

Sep 13, 07 6:37 pm  · 
 · 
phuyaké

yup. I really wanted to post the Deck House because I love that project, but i thought it would be too easy.

to have those views...

Sep 13, 07 6:42 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

Sep 13, 07 6:57 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

hint: it's not on mars, but you can see it from here...

Sep 13, 07 7:12 pm  · 
 · 
dia

ESO Hotel, Chile - Auer+Weber+Architekten

Sep 13, 07 7:43 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

whoa, that was quick.

auer + weber's projects are hit or miss. i haven't been there but a co-worker of mine introduced me to the atacama desert and i'd love to check it out.

Sep 13, 07 11:59 pm  · 
 · 
dia

Yeah, I found their work to be patchy - this building is a one off it seems. I had almost forgotten about this building, so thanks for posting.

Sep 14, 07 12:26 am  · 
 · 

ESO is very different from the typical A+W glassy south german project, partly due to the influence of Philipp Auer, the son of Fritz Auer. and i must say it is nice when the next generation who will take over an office do manage to some extent to take it in a new direction.
i have always thought that Stefan Behnisch has not managed to do that yet with Behnisch.

Sep 14, 07 3:21 am  · 
 · 
simples

diabase...don't let the game stop!!!
I am getting some good inspiration from this thread...or holz.box can post something intriguing in the meanime (he/she always seems to have something good ready to go!)_

Sep 14, 07 1:32 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

ok, this is only til diabase gets it rolling again...

this guy does amazing wooden projects that are eco-savvy.

Sep 14, 07 4:28 pm  · 
 · 
mleitner

holz.box, post a project where you changed the image name.

Sep 14, 07 5:08 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

um ok. how?

Sep 14, 07 5:13 pm  · 
 · 
phuyaké

i set up a photobucket account so i can change the names.. i've seen that a few people use flickr too

Sep 14, 07 5:17 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

geez, that's way too much work, i'd never stay billable.

just stop cheating

Sep 14, 07 5:18 pm  · 
 · 
mleitner

Sorry, I confess I was looking for a hint but found the answer - I didn't expect that.

Sep 14, 07 5:23 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

ah. i'll make it harder next time

Sep 14, 07 5:30 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

ok, set up. will hide future submissions, thnks for the heads up.

also, random question - anyone know any uses for the random image memory bank i've got going on?

Sep 14, 07 5:53 pm  · 
 · 
mleitner

Set up a game of Memory! Architecture Memory

Sep 14, 07 6:20 pm  · 
 · 
dia
Sep 15, 07 6:26 am  · 
 · 
AP

Wood Marsh's Yve apartments

monument magazine

Sep 16, 07 12:51 am  · 
 · 
simples

Holzbox...

WA - Ölzbündt Dornbirn
by Hermann Kaufmann

Sep 17, 07 3:30 pm  · 
 · 
simples

and just to keep this going, here is one that for sure, some of us can relate to:

Sep 17, 07 3:34 pm  · 
 · 

damn AP... you would post bill morgan while i was out of town...

Sep 17, 07 3:49 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: