Archinect
anchor

Architecture student joins Hollywood industry?

luckymini

Hello, 

I heard every year there are some students from West coast arch school joining Hollywood industry for film scene production. I am wondering is it true? for those who really switch their profession, do you know if they are earning more than being architect?

PS, this is part of a survey for my thesis, thanks

Nov 24, 12 10:05 pm
mdler

it is. they are probably making more $$$ depending on how much they are working. it is extremely difficult to get a job in the industry however

Nov 25, 12 1:52 am  · 
 · 
gwharton

If there's one industry that has been hit harder by the financial downturn than architecture & construction, it's film.

Nov 26, 12 1:42 pm  · 
 · 
tanjagersten

They have been hit by financial crisis but they still lead when it comes to incomes. 

Nov 29, 12 7:35 am  · 
 · 
gwharton

If you can find a paying gig in hollywood, it might pay better than architecture (this is highly debateable, but let's just run with the assumption for the moment). The problem is getting a paying gig in the first place. There aren't many of them in comparison to the number of people seeking them. If you were to plot a Gini coefficient for wealth and income distribution in the movie business, it would look much more like Zimbabwe than Sweden. You've got a few spectacularly well-compensated people at the top, and a huge pool of people who make next to nothing. That's always been how Hollywood works, but it's got much worse in the last four years.

Nov 29, 12 12:47 pm  · 
 · 
zonker

Try video games - I was an environment 3D artist for Rockstar Games for 11 1/2 years and made twice what I am making in architecture - also the video game industry is recession proof - well almost - the downside is the hours 60-80/week as mandatory hours

Nov 29, 12 1:45 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: