Archinect
anchor

Graduate school advice

Nov 21 '12 8 Last Comment
jfree9292
Nov 21, 12 2:12 am

I'm applying for grad schools (MArch) and I've narrowed down my choices to Clemson, UTennessee, Georgia Tech, U Illinois Urbana Champaign, and possibly U Virginia. Any opinions about what would be best? Input would help a lot. Thanks.

Noypi
Nov 22, 12 12:28 am

Honestly, you might wanna apply next year instead. Most applications are due in December and January so it's gonna be really hard to put together a decent application that quick. Even if you already took the GRE, satisfied with your portfolio, and have essay templates, you're gonna need to give recommendation writers atleast a month to write letters for you.  

jfree9292
Nov 22, 12 4:00 am

Which of those schools would you recommend?

juventus7
Nov 22, 12 7:32 am

Noypi... that wasnt the question.

Anyway, jfree, where do you want to focus on your career? sustainability, construction/structures, theory, digital, etc? figure out what insterests youa nd what are you good at and pick a school out of those who is stronger in that area. 

James KehlJames Kehl
Nov 22, 12 12:07 pm

UIC is worlds different than the other choices you mentioned. Very digital / exploratory.

I would go to Clemson--I think they have good rep down south as a design school.

reed b/w
Nov 22, 12 7:02 pm

I went to Clemson and Georgia Tech, and I think very highly of each school. 

Tech seems to be heading in very digital direction in terms of fabrication and exploration  (if that makes sense).  Clemson has a very nice grasp on how to actually teach design. 

Each school has amazing new buildings.  Tech's is an adaptive re-use by Office da and Clemson's is a new building by Thomas Phifer. 

Tech grads dominate Atlanta firms, so that's something to think about. 

The president of CU is an architect, so the school gets a good deal of attention while the architecture school at Tech takes a back seat to the engineering schools.

Tech gets a lot of great architects from around Atlanta to teach studios.

Clemson's fluid campus (study abroad program) is amazing.

DaveZ
Nov 25, 12 11:20 pm

dont go its a waste of money

robinson
Nov 27, 12 2:23 am

which school you want to join in?how about  Clemson and Georgia Tech or other,www.architecture-forums.com

gwharton
Nov 27, 12 12:32 pm

DaveZ is right. The best advice about graduate school is DON'T.

• ×Search in:

Please wait... loading
Please wait... loading