Archinect
anchor

Graduate school advice

jfree9292

I'm applying for grad schools (MArch) and I've narrowed down my choices to Clemson, UTennessee, Georgia Tech, U Illinois Urbana Champaign, and possibly U Virginia. Any opinions about what would be best? Input would help a lot. Thanks.

Nov 21, 12 2:12 am
Noypi

Honestly, you might wanna apply next year instead. Most applications are due in December and January so it's gonna be really hard to put together a decent application that quick. Even if you already took the GRE, satisfied with your portfolio, and have essay templates, you're gonna need to give recommendation writers atleast a month to write letters for you.  

Nov 22, 12 12:28 am  · 
 · 
jfree9292
Which of those schools would you recommend?
Nov 22, 12 4:00 am  · 
 · 
ziazia

Noypi... that wasnt the question.

Anyway, jfree, where do you want to focus on your career? sustainability, construction/structures, theory, digital, etc? figure out what insterests youa nd what are you good at and pick a school out of those who is stronger in that area. 

Nov 22, 12 7:32 am  · 
 · 
l3wis

UIC is worlds different than the other choices you mentioned. Very digital / exploratory.

I would go to Clemson--I think they have good rep down south as a design school.

Nov 22, 12 12:07 pm  · 
 · 
reed b/w

I went to Clemson and Georgia Tech, and I think very highly of each school. 

Tech seems to be heading in very digital direction in terms of fabrication and exploration  (if that makes sense).  Clemson has a very nice grasp on how to actually teach design. 

Each school has amazing new buildings.  Tech's is an adaptive re-use by Office da and Clemson's is a new building by Thomas Phifer. 

Tech grads dominate Atlanta firms, so that's something to think about. 

The president of CU is an architect, so the school gets a good deal of attention while the architecture school at Tech takes a back seat to the engineering schools.

Tech gets a lot of great architects from around Atlanta to teach studios.

Clemson's fluid campus (study abroad program) is amazing.

Nov 22, 12 7:02 pm  · 
 · 
DaveZ

dont go its a waste of money

Nov 25, 12 11:20 pm  · 
 · 
robinson

which school you want to join in?how about  Clemson and Georgia Tech or other,www.architecture-forums.com

Nov 27, 12 2:23 am  · 
 · 
gwharton

DaveZ is right. The best advice about graduate school is DON'T.

Nov 27, 12 12:32 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: