Archinect
anchor

backlit backsplash

go do it

I was checking out the Beinecke Library at Yale (online) and the translucent marble panels started to intrigue me, they are so cool looking.

So now I want to put some backlit backsplashes in a kitchen remodel that we are doing. Anyone have any ideas on discipating or evacuating the heat caused by the lights?

I have been around tables and countertops that were backlit but having a warm suface caused by heat gain seemed weird and always turned me off from the concept.

Nov 18, 12 12:06 am
won and done williams

Use adequately ventilated LEDs and you should not have a problem with heat gain.

Nov 18, 12 8:42 am  · 
 · 
snook_dude

LED with  remote  Driver....but be sure  is the quality of Light you want Kelvin on LED is alot different than the Beinecke Library at Yale.

Nov 18, 12 5:40 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

i figure at some point someone is going to make a water cooled led heatsink.  they are somewhat common for computers and an led heatsink is essentially the same construction as one for a cpu.  something like this.  if your specific problem is that you can't get air exchanges to cool the stock heatsink, this would move the heat transfer part to a remote location.

Nov 19, 12 9:23 am  · 
 · 
Rusty!

I am surprised that marble panels in Beinecke Library at Yale are 1 1/4-inch thick. Seems really thick for marble to allow any translucency. Is it onyx marble? I think at those thicknesses stone needs to be chemically treated/soaked and then waxed multiple time for the transparency to show up... 

Nov 19, 12 11:01 am  · 
 · 

It's not the thickness of the marble that allows translucency, it's the intensity of the New Haven sun that makes them glow.

Yo!

Nov 19, 12 12:30 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

I thought it was all the  Yale Architecture Students looking for cracks in the marble with their LED flashlights was the reason it glows on the inside.

Nov 19, 12 4:10 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: