Archinect
anchor

Pigeon holed as a BIM WIT

zonker

4 years of performing as Revit modeler for various offices, I would like to resume a progressive track toward architect -

Anyone in a similar situation? any solutions?

Nov 14, 12 12:07 pm
curtkram

sounds to me like maybe a lot of people are in that position.  i'm fairly certain at this point in my life and career it is better for me to not learn revit (actively.  like, forcefully not learn revit) than to learn it and be stuck, at least until i can put myself in an environment more encouraging of growth.

that said, maybe i'll learn revit on my own time at home and just make-believe at work that i don't understand it.  i think make-believe has a stronger presence in real-life than real-life does.

Nov 14, 12 12:52 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

revit's a pretty powerful design tool ~ it's not just about production.

come on guys, progress .. FORWARD.!

Nov 14, 12 1:21 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

when applying for new jobs I'd market yourself differently.  BIM is really just to get your foot in the door (or a fall-back) - now you should be tailoring your resume and portfolio for more designer/junior architect jobs - or - if you aren't as strong of a designer, jobs where you do more CA and back-end project management stuff.

enrolling in IDP will also help.

Nov 14, 12 1:23 pm  · 
 · 

Are you stuck or are you having a hard time asking for more experience or responsibilities? 

Try asking for 8-10hours doing something else. Use the IDP categories as a guide and as justification when asking. Find someone in the office who is doing what you want and ask them how they got there and if they can help you get some experience, most people want to help and one day a week maybe a way to demonstrate your diverse skillset without risking deadlines or profit margins.

Also when you do ask your boss explain how your diversified experience will help avoid mistakes and speed project delivery.  Always ask to help solve their problems while also solving yours.

Nov 14, 12 2:19 pm  · 
 · 
zonker

Peter - you are so right - I do ask them for more increased responsibilities - so what did they do? they hired someone else with the IDP track record and told me to stick with what I am doing. "why do you want to be an architect?" 

Nov 14, 12 2:26 pm  · 
 · 
zonker

Besides, I just a 1099 - I have been here for 2.5 years - I think I see the writing on the wall. - I have failed

Nov 14, 12 2:39 pm  · 
 · 

Xenakis, I think this office has failed you, time to look elsewhere.

But I think you knew this for some time.

You can detail, you can administer construction, so unless you are in a small market you have skills that could get you where you want to go.  Is the risk worth the reward?

Not suggesting you pull a Cortez maneuver like burring your ships once you reach the new land but maybe explore a bit.

Nov 14, 12 3:09 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

peter, have you ever actually seen that 'talking to people' thing work?  i can see how one would think in theory it might work.  i think for xenakis's situation, his company has a position they need filled and that's it.  if he did other things he wouldn't be filling that position. 

Nov 14, 12 3:30 pm  · 
 · 
zonker

Thanks a lot for your insights and suggestions - I work in the Bay Area - it's a big market - I just need to network -attend AIA-SF meetings

Nov 14, 12 4:09 pm  · 
 · 

Curtkram, yes to some degree talking works but as long as it is about doing better work not helping you feel better about yourself.  it takes time and you may not get all of what you want right away.

Nov 14, 12 5:05 pm  · 
 · 
ncecchi

Revit is a terrible design tool, and is really best suited for production, meaning, anyone who uses revit can expect to work only in revit primarily.

It really is not acceptable for anything besides high-volume commercial work. At least last time I checked, and I know it very well. I found that at my last job (where we used revit) the process became so constrained by what the software did and didn't want to do that it became difficult to pursue experimental architecture or utilize any materials or assemblies that have not been used previously. This leads to the inventive use of existing assemblies and technology, but a world where revit dominates the design process sounds like a very boring and repetitive like a very boring and repetitive boring and repetitive and repetitive world indeed.

Nov 15, 12 4:40 pm  · 
 · 

Xenakis, on the networking front, and this may be mute but you should start posting under your name too, keep your anonymous handle but also try to be a mentor here and in other online communities, this may lead to some networking and when applying to firms gives them some nice things to look at online and demonstrates a commitment to the profession, I remember from other post that you are concerned about your age holding you back, if you’re a little more guarded in your criticism and more optimistic (realistically optimistic) you may have a better chance of getting calls for interviews.  The folks screening candidates have told me that they like to find info on you and if they Google your name and nothing comes up that is almost as bad as one or two compromising photos on Facebook.  On the internet you need to make a name for yourself.  But Keep Xenakis around to ask the tuff questions or to just have a good healthy rant once in a while.  I often read about this too they call it building your online profile.

Message me directly if you want to communicate and brain storm on how we can both get the jobs we want in these difficult times.

Over and OUT

Peter N

Nov 15, 12 4:55 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

correct me if i'm wrong, but shouldn't "this may be mute" be "this may be moot?"

Nov 15, 12 5:18 pm  · 
 · 
zonker

Peter

You are so right - I need to "step up my game" on online presence - building an online profile

Nov 15, 12 5:26 pm  · 
 · 
zonker

Nicholas

architects are problem solvers that make things happen - Revit is a great design tool and it will do anything you are willing to figure out

I found that at my last job (where we used revit) the process became so constrained by what the software did and didn't want to do that it became difficult to pursue experimental architecture or utilize any materials or assemblies that have not been used previously

that's true for my current job - I can't let that stop me so I figure out a way to make it happen - Rule 1. be unstoppable

Nov 15, 12 5:33 pm  · 
 · 
i r giv up

Xen,

I respect you more than I respect 90% of the people here, so my advice is:

1. start bitching about IDP to your current employer. Either get the hours, or get out. Screw whether they're legitimate or not. You've been working for 4 years. You should be done with them already.

2. start taking tests.

3. get your ass licensed.

4. (optional) move.

5. congrats. you just got project manager status.

career paths in architecture are pretty generic. you don't have to actually walk the path to actual generalist practice, you just have to be familiar enough to fake it.

nobody in architecture knows shit. we all just pretend we do for long enough to find out which answer is most likely the correct one.

Nov 17, 12 2:02 pm  · 
 · 
poiuy

Xenakis, you need to get out of that firm. I hope you've left already.

Apr 4, 13 12:47 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: