Archinect
anchor

Computer savy, yet asked repeatedly if you are?

seeds

Just wondering if other interns are asked in their place of employment on multiple occasions if they know how to use AutoCAD, or SketchUp, or Revit?  It seems kind of standard to know how to use these software programs, especially if you want to work in architecture these days.  Some of my co-workers continue to ask me if I know how to use these programs.  I know that graduating from graduate school without knowledge of these programs, and programs in the Adobe Creative Suite (another program they ask me if I know how to use) would have been difficult.  And, I doubt the principal who hired me would have done so without proven ability on my part to use these programs, especially Revit.  

Maybe it's a mater of educating architects who have been working for 10-20 years on the demands placed on architecture students to have a level of proficiency with computer programs?  I realize that the architects are still getting to know me and I am still getting to know them.  But, I am a little tired of repeatedly saying that I know how to use one of the aforementioned programs and it would help to alleviate some of my stress to know that I am not alone.  Thank you!

Nov 13, 12 2:17 am

You shouldn't assume that you are computer savvy.  You are likely still at the stage of not even being aware of what you don't know.  And until you accept your limitations then there will be no way forward.

Yo!

Nov 13, 12 8:48 am  · 
 · 
LITS4FormZ

One bad intern can create doubt for years, don't take it personal. 

Nov 13, 12 8:51 am  · 
 · 
toasteroven

I wouldn't take it personally - how long have you worked there?  People will stop asking what you know after they've figured out what you're capable of.  anyway - if people are asking these sorts of questions I'm betting your office values other abilities in staff over software - which is a good sign that you're in a decent work environment.

Nov 13, 12 9:56 am  · 
 · 
lletdownl

knowing how to use autocad or revit in the school sense does not mean  you know how to use autocad or revit in the work sense... i work with plenty of people who know how to use autocad, yet dont know how to properly draft and organize drawing sets to save their lives...

Nov 13, 12 10:10 am  · 
 · 
legopiece

I second lletdownl's post above.   I don't need to tell anyone working now its not easy surviving in this economy for architects, and the bottom line is, it is a business, and they want to do as much as possible for as little as possible. Think of it this way, put yourself in their shoes.  You've just hired a new person to the profession vs. hiring or rehiring a professional who at least has enough years to know how to put a set together.  good luck.

Nov 13, 12 10:55 am  · 
 · 
seeds

Thank you for the feedback - I appreciate it. "Computer savvy" was probably not the best word choice.  It was late and that's what came to me before going to sleep.  I turned to the Archinect community to gain some relief from the frustration I have been experiencing.  The intern experience coupled with working in a place for less than a year is presenting itself with challenges as I try not to take anything personally, definitely place myself in the shoes of professionals placing their faith in someone new, and focus on the great opportunity I am experiencing every day and the end result of licensure.  I found the architecture school process to be a humbling experience and I see that it continues in the office.  In total, I equate the experience of evolving as an architect to being close to a spiritual journey of awakening.  Thanks again for the input - it helps.

Nov 13, 12 10:50 pm  · 
 · 
legopiece

don't let the negativity get you down, don't bring emotions to work either just keep your head up, show professionalism. I know plenty of seasoned architects that still act like they are in high school.  Have some faith in yourself you'll be ok seeds.

Nov 13, 12 11:45 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: