Archinect
anchor

stone component in curtain wall

working on a proj. with horizontal limestone stone component in a curtain wall system.  anchoring off slab - and not embedded or tied to precast element...  looking for some curtain wall  precedents which incorporate cut stone- do any come to mind ?

Nov 9, 12 11:33 am
curtkram

i'm curious to hear what you are planning on doing.  like digging up some limestone, cutting to 1" thick, and sticking in a regular curtainwall system?  sounds heavy and difficult.

the following is just from a quick google search, so i can't really say too much about the performance.  is this what you're thinking about doing?  if not, it might be worth some consideration.

http://www.stonecladdingpanels.com/curtainwalls.html

Nov 9, 12 3:22 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

"Dimension stone panels glazed into aluminum curtain-wall framing system" is nothing terribly special or new. It looks weak to me, and has history of failure (thin stone units popping out due to expansion/contraction in very limited space).

But it will look shiny in your condo project for at least as long as it takes to flip the property!

Nov 9, 12 3:39 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

if the thin stone pops out due to thermal expansion/contraction, it has to be from the substrate right?  the adhesion between the stone veneer and whatever is behind isn't going to fail is it?  honestly, i don't know much about it.

i saw a product a little while back that was a really thin veneer from natural stone.  so thin it could bend, and was somewhat translucent.  you could put it in a shoji screen type thing and back-light it.  i thought it was pretty cool.  obviously the difference between "thin stone" and "really thin stone" is the "really;" other than that i don't recall what it was called.  it would still need whatever sealant any natural stone would need.  i don't see how something like that would be significantly different than a reynobond infill panel.

Nov 9, 12 7:11 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

Below is an image of a stone curtain wall system that is not only translucent, but blast resistant used in the Israeli Foreign Ministry.  There are many ways to put stone in a spandrel, or clip it off a facade.  

A noteworthy project that uses limestone curtain wall is 15 Central Park West by Bob Stern & Co.  Although its a good example of of how panels really should be book matched to each other as the buildings facade looks disjointed.  Also noteworthy is the shunt lines in the facade are really, really obvious when the light hits the building in the right way, as many of the panels aren't quite flush with each other.

Nov 9, 12 8:11 pm  · 
 · 

The marble at the Beinecke Library comes to mind...but it's not really a curtain wall so I guess that doesn't help much.  Sorry.

Yo!

Nov 10, 12 10:24 am  · 
 · 
Rusty!

apurimac, that's not a curtainwall application, and has nothing to do with question at hand. That looks like onyx, the way one would typically detail such stone. As far as blast resistance: just NO. Natural stone has no quantifiable structural properties. Blast resistant curtainwalls use multiple layers of laminates in glazing, and the point is for them to fail in such way as to preventing life loss. Could one laminate really expensive stone in multiple thin layers? I suppose so, if money is of no concern.

Nov 10, 12 2:11 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

Rusty, the principals used in that system i linked the image to are the same at work in a typical curtain wall.  That wall is blast resistant, btw and yes the Israelis spent a ton on it.  The project was in Record donkey's years ago but I've since forgotten which issue. 

Nov 11, 12 12:24 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

'blast resistant' can mean different things.  that depends largely on how big of a blast, how close to the building, and the level of protection the occupants inside really need.  sometimes 'blast resistant' can just mean laminated glass so the fragments aren't flying all over.  it's like a 'tornado proof' building.  if the tornado is big enough and close enough it just doesn't matter how you detailed the building, there isn't going to be anything left.

do you have any details of the storefront (if it is a storefront)?  i guess i've seen stone that could be translucent at 1" thick, but that doesn't seem very commonplace.  with the 'thin stone' you could laminate a really thin piece of natural stone to a substrate that has more desirable material properties.

Nov 11, 12 12:48 pm  · 
 · 
t a z

Not sure if this project is unitized, but I believe it uses a lot of Cricursa laminated stone.

King Abdullah University of Science and Technology

Crimar

Nov 12, 12 5:41 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

thank you nam

Nov 12, 12 10:25 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: