Archinect
anchor

Church/Tower Precedents

NoNameNum3

I'm wondering if I could call on the collective knowledge of the greater archinect community for a brief moment and ask for precedents.

I would like to know if there are any good, built examples of a large tower (the taller the better) that is built above an existing church. They could be cantilevering, built right out of the church, whatever....I'm just having a hard time coming up with anything. Ideally the church would still be a church, but examples of where the church is converted into something else would be okay also. And I guess if necessary the historic piece could be something other than a church...but again I'm really looking for churches with tower sprouting out of them (The Hearst tower in NY would be a great example if only the historic building was a church). 

The only example even remotely close that I can think of is the Citicorp center in New York. I'm sure there must be lots of examples over in Europe where they are a little less precious with their historical buildings...but I can't think of anything that includes a high rise.

Oct 25, 12 8:53 pm
kubo

Kolumba Art Museum - Peter Zumthor (very low rise building, admittedly, but built directly on the remains of an old cathedral)

Sagrada Familia? Its construction is pretty much a gradual accumulation over decades.

Oct 26, 12 6:07 am  · 
 · 
NoNameNum3

Yeah, Kolumba is a great building...but unfortunately the issues at play are completely different because the church is a ruin. In this case the congregation wants to retain the original composition of the the church...

Any other thoughts? I take the relative silence to mean all are just as stumped as I am....

Oct 26, 12 8:31 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: