Archinect
anchor

A SOLUTION Informal Settlers??????

|l

Anyone know of a simple yet satisfying solution to informal settlers??That's our biggest prob here. Ideas are much appreciated, Thanks Thanks

Jun 17, 07 3:00 am
|l

self help housing?

Jun 17, 07 3:15 am  · 
 · 
brown666

this is not a simple problem, so I don't think there are any very simple and satisfying solutions. I'm working on, the subject since a few years now... one main key seems to be understanding of the informal process and it's development over time. Informal settlers by definition go without an architect and that's why there are no created solutions but lived ones. Who are you, and where are you, why is this your biggest problem?

Jun 17, 07 7:29 am  · 
 · 
|l

I'm a architectural student from Philippines and there are a lot of informal settlers and it is my biggest problem since I am looking for respondents to a possible thesis topic.

Jun 17, 07 7:47 am  · 
 · 
brown666

you could start here: [url=http://www.archinect.com/forum/threads.php?id=25781_0_42_0_C
]link[/url]
do you reaad french?

Jun 17, 07 7:59 am  · 
 · 
|l

nope i dont : ( I'm lost no topic no more

Jun 17, 07 8:03 am  · 
 · 
brown666

why no topic no more???

Jun 17, 07 8:04 am  · 
 · 
|l

wow your idea is almost same as my supposed thesis topic which I am having doubts its self-fabricated housing. ideas if you have please. thanks

Jun 17, 07 8:05 am  · 
 · 
brown666

The subject is very vast if you talk about informal settlements but I wouldn't doubt so much about it, there is defenetly something in there for you. There are many ways of approaching this. I went more into a complete informal masterplan for the favela of rocinha in rio de janeiro. I talk about infrastructure and transportation as means of upgrading the settlement. I don't propose any formal outcome of the buildings in the favela, but just by providing infrastructure and services i give the favela the means to develop itself. also a new socio-economic framework is analyzed to manage the favela as a cooperative neighborhood. The favela becomes a a trend setter in terms of sustainable development, disconnected from all the city networks, it's able to create it's own internal networks and sources...

Jun 17, 07 8:35 am  · 
 · 
|l

I checked the link that you gave and the informal systems organic behavior??? that's something.Well I think I am going to look for another issue, I am just worried I need one in 16 hours so. God I was so ready but then my original topic was declined so I am back to zero and under pressure..

Jun 17, 07 8:42 am  · 
 · 
brown666

exactly that's something, only thing to be carefull about in all this is the actual absence of the architect... but that makes all the interest too...

Jun 17, 07 8:47 am  · 
 · 
|l

yeah that was what I am proposing on my alternative topic where the user becomes the designer and the modifier or builder but that got too way off for I think it isnt practical? what dyou think?

Jun 17, 07 8:48 am  · 
 · 
snooker

also a new socio-economic framework is analyzed to manage the favela as a cooperative neighborhood. The favela becomes a a trend setter in terms of sustainable development, disconnected from all the city networks, it's able to create it's own internal networks and sources...

Brown: is all of the fueled by the Drug Lords, who seem to have complete control of the favela's in Rio.

Jun 17, 07 9:47 am  · 
 · 
brown666

no it's not fueled by the drug lords, i consider them more on the side, even though i know very well how much they have control over most of the favelas, my main focus is to give the power to the people (a bit of a communist system (aaahrghh no where? communists? terrorists? ), the drug problem would be solved on it's own. The only thing I could propose is actually to legalize drug business, which would decriminalize the main income source of all the favelas. Legalize drug business and money will be plenty! But then this seems to go a bit far in terms of the architrects scope...

Jun 17, 07 10:36 am  · 
 · 
treekiller
megacities

is the best archinect discussion so far on this topic. you gotta find a local solution and engage the residents with the development of the interventions...

it comes down to inserting infrastructure and public spaces into the settlement.

Jun 17, 07 1:17 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

brown, you are a mis guided soul....When they want to stop the buses from running all they do is send out their soldiers and if they want to shut down the shops all the do is send out their soldiers...
and on thing I learned was never stand on the apartment deck when you hear load noises cause those are not fireworks but gun shots.

Jun 17, 07 3:23 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: