Archinect
anchor

architectural technology/construction detailing OR another skill..

accesskb

I'm about to finish my undergrad and hear about the terrible job market.  It seems like students with masters are at a better advantage to get hired.  With that said, I wanted to know if I'd have better chances of getting hired if I became proficient in say using grasshopper, parametric design or the 'popular software' out there today, OR would I be at a better advantage if I spent time obtaining architectural technology/construction detailing knowledge and skills?

It seem like wayyy too many students know how to use fancy software and parametric design but usually don't have much clue or properly understand the whys and hows to draft a construction detail other than copying details from books or manufacturers ofcourse.  I'm guilty for one hence my question.. :)

thanks

Oct 14, 12 4:12 am
Given

Both of those would be 'helpful' but as someone who went through this same thing a couple years ago, I can say that they wont score you a job. What will score you a job is meeting the right person. Spend your time finding out how to 'introduce' yourself to the architecture community where you want to work. Maybe you can volunteer somewhere, or ask a professor who likes you for help. Try and get a friend to get you hired (this is truly the best way to do it). Wish I had better suggestions but I spent all my time learning grasshopper and reading technical stuff until I got totally lucky and landed a job. I wouldn't really recommend that path (although grasshopper is super interesting, just learn it for yourself). Firms aren't going to really care that you read detail magazine and that you say you understand construction when you don't actually have the experience to prove it. You should do that stuff for yourself, but it wont help you get a job.

Oct 14, 12 7:07 am  · 
 · 
accesskb

hahah i should have worded it a little different... I agree with you about landing that first job..

guess I should've said, what will help you retain a job better or make you more effective at work - knowledge of grasshopper/parametric design etc or knowledge in proper detailing? 

Oct 14, 12 10:16 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

i would suspect most firms don't really care if you know grasshopper.  firms do need to do models and renderings of buildings, so if you use grasshopper in such a way as to do that better it might help.  if you're the go-to guy on how to make revit work, that's a valuable skill and they will keep you around.  however, that skill becomes less important with every new software update.  you can keep up on learning new software, but ultimately your position at that firm becomes IT guy.  from my limited experience, it seems the people running most architecture firms sincerely believe that if you take that IT path you would be incapable of designing a building.  to say it another way, there is an IT position and there is an 'architect' position.  in theory you should be able to do both, but in practice it tends to not work that way.  you're building a glass ceiling for yourself on that path.

learn how buildings go together and your daily tasks would likely be more architecture related and less office support.

Oct 14, 12 12:06 pm  · 
 · 
MyDream

Wow, this is a wake up call i have been slaving over 3ds max bought vray, archicad, sketch up and others while juggling 5 courses in a state college and i am dong this for nothing. :( 

I really need someone to take a look at my portfolio and give some tuff lov.

Oct 14, 12 10:36 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

why do you say it's for nothing?

Oct 15, 12 9:12 am  · 
 · 
MyDream

Why? good question the above comments made me feel as though i was wasting my time with learning different software.

I am a black man in Florida if that means anything. Here is my portfolio if you would like to show some tuff love.LOL

http://archinect.com/people/cover/31634744/antwoine-gilbert

I remind you i am in a two year degree headed towards a architecture program located in Orlando.(valencia/ucf/uf)

Oct 15, 12 10:06 am  · 
 · 
l3wis

no, MyDream, you're doing the right thing. I don't know about archicad... but learning how to render in 3dsMax and vray is invaluable. At least where I work, the more proficiently you render the more design opportunities/studies you are given. Keep honing your rendering skills, they will serve you well.

Oct 15, 12 10:27 am  · 
 · 
MyDream

Thank you for your positive feed back i love this website and i try to tell as many people as i can about it at school to help people out as much as possible.

TO ALL STUDENTS WHO ARE HAVING TROUBLE GETTING EXPERIENCE BEFORE YOU CAN FIND EMPLOYMENT.

http://www.csinet.org/Main-Menu-Category/Certification/CDT

There are two books that i bought

Practice delivery book  $70.00

CDT exam workbook  $24.99

Take the exam to become a cdt technologist, a great way to show your competence in construction documents and project delivery.

Oct 15, 12 10:39 am  · 
 · 
accesskb

MyDream 

Mind sharing the pdf with me? i can pay you for it.. just want to study.. don't really care about taking the exam

Oct 15, 12 9:28 pm  · 
 · 
MyDream

I would love to access i have it saved on a junk drive, but in order to take the test you must also have the practice delivery book as well. Anyways in order for me to email it to you i would want some kind of payment.: )

Oct 16, 12 9:30 am  · 
 · 
MyDream

why not take the exam? It could lead you to other options for employment.

Oct 16, 12 9:35 am  · 
 · 
accesskb

accesskb at hotmail dot com  email me and we'll talk MyDream

Oct 18, 12 1:31 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: