Archinect
anchor

Anyone want to go for a walk?

Benjamin_

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/story/2011/05/09/cn-tower-edge-walk.html

I want to do this! Who's in?

May 10, 11 11:22 am

When I see stuff like this and the Sears Tower glass box thingeys all I can think is maybe we need an alien invasion so people won't feel the need for manufactured "survival" thrills.  Silly.

May 10, 11 12:19 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

You can see Russia from up there! This is what passes off as both architecture and entertainment in Canada, sadly. They didn't account for projectile vomiting from drunken British tourists in their design though. Time to open an umbrella stand at the foot of that thingy.

May 10, 11 12:52 pm  · 
 · 
Benjamin_

It has nothing to do with "survival". It gives you a chance to walk (outside mind you) on one of the world's tallest structures. I guess we aren't up to Rusty's high standards of entertainment up here in Canada, but I think it would be one heck of an experience!

May 10, 11 4:52 pm  · 
 · 

I think you misunderstood my comment, B.Gregory.  It's about getting a thrill, because one rarely has the opportunity in daily life to get a potentially life-threatening thrill: a classic First World problem.  If one is worried about survival:  having enough to eat, or about being eaten by something else, every day, then one doesn't need any additional - manufactured - thrills.

Sorry to be a downer, but it's a reminder, to me, of how bloated and silly our society is.

May 10, 11 4:58 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

It is an experience.  Silly, sure, but rollercoaster's are silly. Personally, I love the glass boxes on the Sears Tower (much different, imho)

May 10, 11 7:28 pm  · 
 · 

You don't think they look like warts, trace?

May 10, 11 7:56 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

lol, I haven't seen a pic from the ground...but give me a cantilever and tons of glass and I am usually happy ;-)

May 10, 11 8:46 pm  · 
 · 

That pic you posted is certainly dreamy.  Actually, I was just in Chicago and didn't notice them from the street at all - but I didn't see Sears from close.

May 10, 11 10:11 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: