Archinect
anchor

Splash House on Kickstarter

TK421

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/777690743/splash-house

This is an interesting use of the Kickstarter platform--with a dearth of institutional and government funding available in this economic climate could micropatronage be a viable alternative for small scale projects like the Splash House?

May 10, 11 10:54 am
blah

Very interesting means of funding a project! I question some of the detailing in the rendering where the wood hits the concrete...

May 10, 11 11:14 am  · 
 · 
tara mrowka

Just posted updated renderings that show the adjustable footings where the rib meets the deck.  http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/777690743/splash-house

May 10, 11 3:56 pm  · 
 · 
chamfer

Great project!

It's a shame that architecture that will actually benefit an underserved community is having trouble getting funding while the cost of the Nanz hardware for the loft renovation I'm working on could fund the whole thing. 

Unfortunately, architecture is only for the wealthy.

May 11, 11 11:46 am  · 
 · 
o d b

really chamfer? i can't believe you said that....

if you think it's such a shame why not ask your client for a donation to help the cause?

May 11, 11 12:41 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

odb.. i think you're misinterpreting the intent of his comment...

nanz hardware is crazy expensive...i think what he's tryin to say is that it's unfortunate that architecture is so expensive that it makes it nearly impossible for even small projects like this to go through without significant funding...

i don't think he was saying anyway that isn't rich doesn't deserve good architecture... which is the way i think you took it.

May 11, 11 1:03 pm  · 
 · 
chamfer

exactly lars--i'm lamenting the fact that a nice, small project for a deserving community cannot generate enough crowd-funding to get built. Architects talk about design for the other 90% but when an opportunity to actually make it happen comes along we're too busy focusing on Bjarke's newest project to do something.

May 11, 11 1:30 pm  · 
 · 
o d b

Yeah guess i misinterpreted the last comment to mean that either (a) architecture is a luxury only the rich can afford; or (b) good architecture can only come from expensive budgets and materials, neither of which i think is true...i must have missed the sarcasm earlier.

i think it's all about trying to find new ways to fund community projects, which i think parsons is doing with their fundraiser, and looking opportunistically for free/cheap materials, contributions, donations, etc.  and i think these guys are actually doing it, so let's be optimistic rather than cynical and help get the word out to people to help fund the project - particularly non-architect friends/acquaintances so they can see how altruistic we architects can be.  maybe this kind of publicity is good for getting people out of the mindset that architects are only around to serve people with power and money.

May 11, 11 3:05 pm  · 
 · 

Except you know, you're expecting poor people to get naked and change in an open-air non-air-conditioned space like animals. There's little dignity in this project. This could be on of those examples of why people chose to sleep in tents or become homeless rather than accept a FEMA-styled prison-box.

There's little altruism in this. It's a third-world paint job on a first-world problem.

Calling it like I see it.

May 11, 11 3:15 pm  · 
 · 
o d b

i don't think that's too bad, i've seen open air non-air conditioned changing areas before-your swimming outside anyways and it keeps operational costs down.  and it looks like there's a translucent screen overhead, although it may just be my altruistic reading of the renderings.

May 11, 11 3:27 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

so j.james...changing in a make-shift gym/locker room is better?  and i think this has very little similarity between this and the FEMA trailers..

but as always you're as cynical as it is possible to be.

May 11, 11 4:37 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

"There's little altruism in this. It's a third-world paint job on a first-world problem."

we are talking about a locker room and place to change right?  cause we all know how wonderful those spaces can be when done right...lap of luxury typically.

May 11, 11 4:40 pm  · 
 · 

This project is located in the Highbridge Park, a massive 130-acre park. The area surrounding the pool is open and underdeveloped. The park is already the target of numerous restoration projects-- the one of the higher profile players of which is the New York Restoration Project that's part of the MillionTreeNYC program.

Highbridge Park is a massive dump though it was one of the better known parks in the country when it was first built. Robert Moses demolished part of it in 1940 to build the Harlem River Drive. That road is another disaster all by itself.

However, the south portion of Highland Park between W 155th St and W 158th St is mostly fenced off and underutilized. It would be better suited to some sort of infill development. With minor stipulations, the city could easily sell 4 or 5 acres of land in the southern portion of the park and use the proceeds to build an entirely new aquatic facility adjacent to the current facility with enough money left over to rehab the older recreation facility. 

The public housing project, Polo Grounds Towers, adjacent to my proposed site is a giant, underutilized and overtly spacious shithole that needs to be razed. With a total of 1,400 apartments stretched over about 15.5 acres, it has an appreciable density but its Corbusier-styled superblock sucks the life out of what could be a more healthy anchor for Washington Heights.

This would overall work with the numerous parkway rehabilitation programs and development initiatives currently in the works in Manhattan, would pay for a new facility and keep people from getting doused with gasoline and set on fire.

There's my master plan. You owe me $14,999.95.

May 11, 11 5:45 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Answer this for me; is this a novel approach, or just an slick way of marketing over the top of traditional fund raising?

May 11, 11 5:48 pm  · 
 · 
chamfer

Traditional fundraising often comes with strings attached--design input, names on buildings, etc.  Kickstarter seems to be an evolution of the bake sale for funding creative projects yet taking advantage of social networks and the web.

May 11, 11 7:09 pm  · 
 · 

great article on kickstarter in april's wired, beta. check it out. 

May 12, 11 7:06 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: