Archinect
anchor

Kimbell Art Museum Moves to Afghanistan

ovalle

Well not exactly. This is the recently announced winning design proposal for the  NATIONAL MUSEUM OF AFGHANISTAN KABUL by AV62 Arquitectos.

More info here: 

http://europaconcorsi.com/projects/210912-Museo-Nacional-de-Afganist-n

Speechless.  

Sep 28, 12 3:40 am
snail

That's just horrifying. Speechless is right.

Sep 28, 12 4:02 am  · 
 · 
i r giv up

warehouses to store poppy seeds.

Sep 28, 12 10:45 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

kahn did it better

Sep 28, 12 1:50 pm  · 
 · 

@curtkram that should be a t-shirt!

Sep 28, 12 2:04 pm  · 
 · 
juan moment

shameless!  who was on the jury?  maybe renzo can do an addition to make it better. 

Sep 28, 12 2:09 pm  · 
 · 

Shit, it's not like anybody has a patent on barrel vaults.  And wasn't Kahn's borrowed from the shape of ancient roman warehouses?  That's really more what this resembles, an ancient warehouse.

Yo!

Sep 28, 12 2:31 pm  · 
 · 
juan moment

Except what is shown in the sections here, like the Kimbell, have slots/ skylights with reflectors breaking the vault. In the Kimbell this made them no longer barrel vaults. You can always say a copy is just parallel thinking or has similar influence but that doesn't make it true.  To say they weren't aware of Kahn with this design would be ignorant. This is a dumbly proportioned Kimbell (arc instead of a cycloid curve) and adds nothing to the type.  Its kind of hilarious to see diagrams for a current competition to explain ideas that were sketched on butter paper over 40 years ago.  Happens all the time though.

Sep 28, 12 3:02 pm  · 
 · 
ovalle

If this happened to Apple, they would pull a Samsung on this architecture office.

Sep 28, 12 3:34 pm  · 
 · 
newguy

Meh....it'll probably get bombed by a drone, anyway.

Sep 28, 12 4:23 pm  · 
 · 
Lightperson

Should have been copied exactly. Would have been better with natural light lenses than the crappy lighting. 

Sep 28, 12 10:48 pm  · 
 · 

Is that what's left of Kabul.., a gray area in the background?

Sep 29, 12 5:25 am  · 
 · 
Apurimac

People, we're talking about Afghanistan here.  The fact their building a museum at all - even if its a "rip-off" of Khan should be cause for celebration.  Baby steps people, I'm sure with all the USAID money we can expect a SANAA "Mermorial Museum" to go up in the next 20 years to make us all happy, just watch.

Sep 29, 12 10:40 am  · 
 · 
toasteroven

I'm horrified that they're using barrel vaults.  I mean, it's not like it's local vernacular or something, and museums aren't warehouses for art  - they're just glorified gift shops... I think the most culturally sensitive thing to do there is to set up a branch of the guggenheim and hire wolf tour de prix to design it. 3 gazilion dollars later they'll have something that looks like this:

plus it'll become a beacon for westernized capitalist plutocracy in the region!  I see absolutely no problem with this idea.

Sep 29, 12 2:17 pm  · 
 · 

curtkram I heartily endorse Nam's suggestion.  I'd wear the hell out of that T-shirt.

Sep 29, 12 3:40 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

ha ha, awesome toasteroven.

Sep 29, 12 5:48 pm  · 
 · 
Thayer-D

love it, tosteroven!  It's soooo sexy.

Sep 29, 12 9:18 pm  · 
 · 
chatter of clouds

i've seen many anonymous repeated barrel vaults buildings in the middle east region. while i don't feel comfortable with them generally (and i don't like the kimbell musuem side elevations either), kahn needn't be the referent. there is a quasi vernacular feel to it and a 'mat building' logic underlying it.

in comparing this with the kimbell, there are interesting points of difference.  primarily, this is a roof project. aside from the structural and spatial consequence,   the barrel vault has less functional impact on the 'mat-building' plan than it does on the kahn building where the vaulted space stands for the 'served space' and the intermediate space between vaults is rendered as the servant space. i think this also makes the kimbell more rigorously interesting in that it marries,two systems - the continuous system of barrel vaults and interruptive system of servant/served spaces.  this dialectic rigour is not present in this case (nor does it need to). even the natural 'spot lighting' in this afghani national musuem project is evidence of that as it does not conform to the linearity of barrel vault (nor does it need to) as in the kimbell. it therefore seems like an 'easier' project in the sense that it is more casual and need not be as tortuous a design excercise.

so, yes they both use barrel vaults. but the kimbell musuem takes on the barrel vault as an intellectually disciplinary motif. in this proposal, the use is more casual and vernacular in reference, less deterministic in its impact...this easily could have been a communal souk.

Sep 30, 12 1:57 am  · 
 · 
ovalle

@t a m m u z  Just so you don't get confused, the top image is L.K's Kimbell Musuem (1967-1972). 

Nov 1, 12 5:34 pm  · 
 · 
chatter of clouds

just so you don't get confused, per my previous post. cheerio

Nov 1, 12 8:56 pm  · 
 · 
accesskb

its friggin Afghanistan people... Look at the architecture around there.  Anything is better than what you find there. :)

Nov 3, 12 8:49 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: