Archinect
anchor

Outcast...

stegmanna

I would very much appreciate it if someone would be so kind as to explain to me why it is that I'm feeling essentially useless to the industry to which I have virtually dedicated myself to since I was 12 years old.
You see, with economic conditions beyond well beyond my control I've found myself unemployed for the past seven months and seemingly unemployable. Now, I'm not sure if it's just as a result of the poor economy or if it's the fact that I lack a degree, but out of the literally hundreds of resume's I've sent out, I've had approximately four interviews, and still find myself seeking employment. I've put forth every possible effort into finding a job that I feel qualified for, but so very few positions advertised overlook educational requirements, or have alternative requirements for experience.
With regards to experience, I have nine years of experience working directly for architectural firms, then I veered into general contracting working for a design/build firm and ultimately ending up with a pure general contractor and finally with a subcontractor.
Is it the varied experience that makes me undesirable within our industry? I always figured someone that has seen action from all sides would be a somewhat desirable candidate. That's not to say that working for a subcontractor is something I felt would be a boon to my career, but I didn't think that it would have deleterious effects either, but I could be wrong.
Or is it that lack of a formal education culminating in a bachelor’s degree that has seen me go for so long without a job? Should I write this industry off as one without a place for me in it because I didn’t go to college? I’d hate to do that because I’ve wanted to be an architect since forever and only decided not to go to a traditional college because I wanted to get into the industry as swiftly as I could. Obviously now, in retrospect, I see that as being a regrettable decision, but it was made and is done and there is no going back.
Mind you, there are some positions that I've submitted my resume or CV for consideration despite a stated requirement of a bachelor's degree hoping that I might find someone willing to give me a chance due to the wide experience that I possess, but thus far it's been for naught.
So I'm asking this community for their thoughts or advice or anything to give me hope that this industry has a place for me, or even someone like me.

Sep 20, 12 8:25 pm
shellarchitect

is getting a degree out of the question?

Sep 21, 12 12:31 am  · 
 · 
accesskb

education is important.. even if its just for the paper.  Many of us would skip school if we could become an architect with it.  That's the sacrifice and investment we all have to make.

Sep 21, 12 4:19 am  · 
 · 

The real problem is that even with a degree, there's a pretty good chance the job prospects won't improve much or at all.  In which case it proves to be a colossal waste of time & money.  

Yo!

Sep 21, 12 8:32 am  · 
 · 
zonker

The qualifications have risen in proportion to increase in candidates/job - we all have to do what it takes more so than ever just to stay in the game - getting a degree would be a good first step - 

You see, with economic conditions beyond well beyond my control I've found myself unemployed for the past seven months and seemingly unemployable. 

I hate to sound like Romney here - but never be a victim - there are no excuses - employers hate it when someone shows up for an interview and blames long term unemployment on the economy - you never blame - you do what it takes.

Sep 21, 12 12:16 pm  · 
 · 
stegmanna

I wasn't trying to sound like a victim, and I'm not blaming anyone for my troubles but myself and my shortsightedness so many years ago (I know how to accept responsibility for my actions and choices). At this point in time, going to college is out of the question as I lack the financial means to do so. I'm not making excuses, but I've thoroughly analyzed the situation and getting that piece of paper is simply not in the cards.

Sep 21, 12 1:40 pm  · 
 · 
zonker

What I would do then is to create the financial means to do what you want - create a business, do interactive design, anything to get moving - never give up

Sep 21, 12 1:51 pm  · 
 · 
gwharton

With a background in design/build, you're actually in a much better position economically than most traditionally-educated architects. You just have to get out of the mind-set that you're best off working for an architectural services firm. Why not start your own design-build business? You don't need an architectural license to do single-family residential design build, or commercial projects under a certain size (tenant improvement projects can very lucrative and offer plenty of design opportunity).

Sep 21, 12 2:14 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

im sorry, Miss Jackson

Sep 21, 12 11:33 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

Is that you WART?

Sep 22, 12 5:21 pm  · 
 · 
thakopian

Be useful to potential employers and they will hire you. Learn the necessary software and codes and show samples of your work to prove your ability. If you want a position in architecture make yourself the kind of person who is employable and productive. That's how most of us start off.

I would also encourage you to find associations and groups to be involved in for architecture and related professions so you can find people to talk about getting a job and create reputation for yourself. As was mentioned before low opinion of yourself if any will come across to anyone evaluating you. Be confident in your abilities and that will impress upon others that you are a decent prospect.

If architecture doesn't work out there are lots of things to do. It's more about the right kind of work than the work itself which makes all the difference. Be open minded and explore what's out there.

Sep 22, 12 11:33 pm  · 
 · 
MyDream

I feel like the op here for real I have a degree and I have taught myself many things including many software, codes, but because I only work on houses I am worried about outlet spacing, making sure every bedroom has a window, and making sure my details are impressive enough etc. My work will be looked over by a EOR or architect if I was working in a firm, but I feel confident I can make a damned well detailed set of drawings, I studied the hell out of project delivery, house styles and a host of other things I have worked and worked over and to this day I am not employable. Looking for a job, preparing to start a business very soon like(need more software and take care of some other reputational problems) within the next few weeks I am all over the place trying to get something to work. I wonder if I am an outcast and I think yes I most definitely am for sure....lol.

Feb 8, 17 10:19 pm  · 
 · 
MyDream

Contract work might be an option for the op. I am trying to work with a firm for a contract position but it keeps getting delayed and I am starting to lose hope. All I can do is wait on that phone call and see if the project will go thru and it pays quite well also. Better to have a lead and get in on some action then to be having your resume ignored over and over.

Feb 8, 17 10:40 pm  · 
 · 

If you are in a region that is experiencing an economic downturn then move.

If a degree is preventing you from getting work then get a degree.

7 months is not the end of the world but maybe your job search is not the most efficient. Are you getting interviews but no offers? How and what do you do to apply for and seek out job opportunities?

Do you have a mentor whom you can trust to guide you?

give us some more info please, most of us here do want you to succeed but there is only so much an internet forum can do for you.

Over and OUT

Peter N

Feb 9, 17 1:58 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

firms around me are buried in work.  what's holding you back, now is the time to take action to address whatever it is.  if you need to move, do it now and get some good exp. while times are good

Feb 9, 17 2:23 pm  · 
 · 
MyDream

Yeah, I have been struggling, a degree is probably what the problem is. I am in a bachelor's program just not architecture, otherwise I might be able to get an intern architect position. I am a halftime student as well.I have some credits in a A.A program, and have some experience in architecture firms. I got an interview with a firm in Orlando for a contract position doing cadd work, the architect had a home based office, but was working on a large project. The design was above an average building for it's size. I got hired immediately once she saw my portfolio, the building she designed was made with cmu with some spots of hardwood type siding. I was told that I was highly skilled in Revit and I am. 

No firms seem to want to hire me at all or anywhere else either. When I put in for a position I do it through email I send a attached resume, two links to online portfolio's one for architectural visualizations, and one for actual architecture work I have completed both real and just designs. I have three references that have lead me nowhere. I know some of the people who have interviewed me have gone as far to contact them and still not give me a job it has been impossible. The problem with that is I can't have experience without getting a job, and I have studied and rehearsed for what I do know, which is a lot. I can design houses I have designed 10 of them so far(1,700-2,000 sqft) 3 have pretty much complete architectural drawings. I have not specified them with csi and estimated them yet.

My best bet seems to start my own firm I just up until recently acquired enough knowledge to complete a project with the help of a P.E and a contractor. I have studied about how to create a project manual(one for a home), project delivery, and a lot of other things. Bringing these skills to an employer would not work so I have tried to go for a drafting position, and I can do renders as well so I can do two jobs in one for an employer, still no hire. David Weekly in my area has a entry level drafter position that they didn't hire me for. They ask for a two year degree and everything and no call back. I probably know more than they do in software and design and I still can't get hired. Getting out on my own is pretty much the only option.

College has not been good my only hope is to get my company going and transfer to a university. I want to go to the academy art's program, but I need 44 credits to transfer and I have a lot of other accumulated college credits. My AA in architecture just needs like four or five courses credits but need aid. My company I hope will be the savior I need I have studied unemployed off and on for so long on so many things that I have learned pretty much everything I need to know In so many areas. That is the best thing I have is that I have learned so much on my own accord that I can go out on my own if I could get a project. I am not marketing because of my visuals I need Photoshop and I want to start with visuals and move on from there. ONE last problem is that I have a past and it is also keeping me from going out on my own that I have to deal with before I start marketing

My goal is to become a very wealthy architect developer and I have an entire plan mapped out that is working but so slowly.

Feb 9, 17 7:21 pm  · 
 · 
MyDream

Well, thanks for your kind words peter and shell that in itself is a great thing and a bit of a surprise.

Feb 11, 17 1:10 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: