Archinect
anchor

Impact of the Dean on a graduate program

l3wis

Would anyone care to discuss how much real impact the Dean has on an architecture graduate program?

I've kind of gathered (perhaps incorrectly) that they personally compose the overall themes to be explored in the school curriculum & studios, but beyond that... should I expect to absorb any of their personal 'aesthetic' when I attend grad school?

Sep 14, 12 2:13 pm
accesskb

they call the final shots on how the school is run, what faculty is hired, etc.  They can move the school forward or set it back a couple of decades.

Sep 16, 12 10:46 pm  · 
 · 
LITS4FormZ

The dean controls the checkbook, everything else falls in line after that.

Sep 17, 12 5:31 pm  · 
 · 
l3wis

thanks for the replies.

Sep 19, 12 12:46 pm  · 
 · 

Totally depends on the school. At Yale, Stern keeps a tight grip on everyone, but in a really good way. He's most interested in diversity of thoughts and ideas, so he makes sure to bring in professors, lecturers and students of vastly different backgrounds to encourage the discourse. If he wasnt so personally interested in diversity, im sure the school wouldnt be. 

Sep 22, 12 9:04 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: