Archinect
anchor

sound proofing facade treatments

khmay

Familiar with any interesting projects involving sound proofing?

Im looking into green-screening, we're building a very long facade on a very loud highway

Apr 25, 07 1:30 pm
phuyaké

I'd take a look at ONL's acoustic barrier / car showroom / "cockpit" project on the highway in Utrecht:

it's also in the latest detail mag

Apr 25, 07 3:23 pm  · 
 · 
dierxap

Small tip...our acoustician informed us that different thickness glass allows different frequency through. So..if you have two layers of glass on your facade, be sure to specify each one different thickness. Also...your only real chance at isolation is going to be the dead air inbetween two sheets of glass. I would suggest looking at sound isolating windows for a point of reference..see how they do it.

Apr 25, 07 4:43 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

pollari x somol highland house in LA

koolhaas at iit

Apr 25, 07 4:43 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

what is the program of the building??? Plants do a great job at absorbing sound...muliple layered fascades help as well. You can always use a white noise feature (fountains) to hide some of the car noise

Apr 25, 07 4:46 pm  · 
 · 
khmay

office building. we're looking at least dbl-glazed if not triple glazing for the first few floors

i am very interested in green systems that utilize plant foilage for sound absorption, something that can string/mesh vertically into the facade

i like the water idea, yet it's a very very large building

Apr 25, 07 9:03 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

this is a good product...

http://www.greenscreen.com/

depending on how much land you have between the building and freeway, you could plant trees/babmoo/etc which will absorb some of the sound (pretty straightforward)

also, if you can angle or facet the fascade of the building, you can help reflect the sound waves in a number of directions, which should help reduce the overall freeway noise in the building.

Apr 25, 07 9:28 pm  · 
 · 
khmay

yeah ive looked at these, we're looking at creating a collonade-type space along the road to inset the current sidewalk into for the possibility of planting the edge of the road (where a 'green screen' could possibly sit)

but since the building is 85'+ tall im thinking of trying to incorporate some type of living green screen into the form --like creating vertical areas to capture/reflect noise (like youre talking about) but filling those spaces with wall-hung plants

like below but if the screens were inset into the facade

Apr 25, 07 9:47 pm  · 
 · 

i am not that certain about green screening sound very well.

it may look nice and work in concert well with other materials, but the highway and train line (they run tandem) 5 minutes from my flat are very very loud and there is zero discernible difference in noise level on either side of the 15m deep mini-forest they planted between the road+train and the buildings facing them.

the strip of 12 story apt blocks that also run parallel to the road do an amazing job of blocking the sound though, so where i live it is dead quiet.

many of the newer highways here are lined with curvy sounds absorption panels that block all views but of the road and sky. they are kind of nice ocassionally where a green trellice type thing has been encouraged...driving 180km down a green tunnel can be quite funky-surreal. wish i had a pic or two...

Apr 27, 07 9:49 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

The only thing that effectively stops sound transmission is mass. Planting will help a little, but it ultimately best at addressing reflection...

Apr 30, 17 11:14 am  · 
 · 
JLC-1

are you assuming plants have no mass?

May 1, 17 3:29 pm  · 
 · 
go do it

^nice

May 1, 17 1:58 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

it was very original at the time, early 90's - and the facade treatment was intended for heat control since it's facing west.

May 1, 17 3:29 pm  · 
 · 
proto

double window assembly, inner + outer

expensive, yes, but effective

May 1, 17 4:08 pm  · 
 · 
A605

If you want noisy and hot outside, but silent and cool inside; let's use Aluminum Composite Panel wall cladding with uPVC Profile door and window.

May 28, 18 12:52 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: