Archinect
anchor

the worst chair in every architecture firm

new chair for the interns

Apr 21, 07 6:51 pm  · 
 · 

after 4 years sitting on a Aeron...i finally set it up so its comfortable.
its still frigg'n ugly though.

Apr 22, 07 6:18 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Isn't that funny? I think the Aeron is beautiful, maybe because I remember how radically different it looked when it was first introduced. That Freedom chair TheAquino posted is cute-looking, but otherwise I think every chair shown on this thread is butt-ugly compared to the Aeron.

Except the Eames, of course, but it's really in a different class.

I love the Aeron's appearance because it looks like what it is - a collection of specific parts come together to support a human body. No fancy-schmancy dressing up after the function is worked out (or very little, anyway). It's Modern. I can't help but think, especially after p2an's comment, that people who find the Aeron uncomfortable just haven't gotten it adjusted properly yet.

Apr 22, 07 10:19 am  · 
 · 

Orhan, did you add bling to your chair? It remidns me of a late 90's master P album cover.

Apr 22, 07 11:00 am  · 
 · 
e

we are getting ready to purchase some office chairs. the same one lars posted. we won't be getting the leather though.

Apr 22, 07 11:02 am  · 
 · 
fulcrum

I agree with lb; the Aeron and the Eames are the most beautiful chairs I've ever seen. I guess it's all subjective.

Apr 22, 07 12:53 pm  · 
 · 
n_

I'm a sucker for the Barcelona Chair. It moves me like no other chair...

Apr 22, 07 12:55 pm  · 
 · 
BluLiteSpcl6321

I feel you n_, I just get a feeling deep inside me whenever I see it. Simplistic with a beautiful form. Barcelona chair and a chaise lounge is all an individual ever needs for seating.

Apr 22, 07 3:33 pm  · 
 · 
db

my 2 choices would be the Eames Aluminum Grp Management Chair and the Steelcase Leap. I had the pleasure of test-riding the Leather Coach edition of the Leap chair, and it was WAY sweet.

Apr 23, 07 8:22 am  · 
 · 
I035PEP

I was beginning to think I was the only one!! I noticed the Aeron chair effects as soon as I started sitting it it. My lower back ached, now I'm getting tingling in my legs. I'd rather sit in an ugly chair that feels great over this thing!

Apr 23, 07 10:29 am  · 
 · 
+i

when you see an office full of 200+ aerons... and then you go to other firms for happy hours/meetings/etc and you see 200 more... and then you walk past the office furniture stores and you see endless showroom models of aerons...
they're ugly. and uncomfortable. even when properly adjusted. let me get this straight--- I HAVE ADJUSTED MY CHAIR EVERY WHICH WAY... i have it gently reclined and the height is perfect (ie. knees slightly below hips, etc)... the chair just has no stiff support- IT'S ALL MESH, which at first seems comfortable. after a year, it's painful.

Apr 23, 07 10:54 am  · 
 · 
+i

maybe ill look into the leap chair. and just sneak this aeron over to the "shared" computer station and bring in my own chair. others have done it... someone even brought in a leather couch. haha.

Apr 23, 07 10:56 am  · 
 · 
bucku

i want one of these but the wife is a hard sell:

Apr 23, 07 11:01 am  · 
 · 
+i

hehe... dont we all...

Apr 23, 07 11:02 am  · 
 · 
bucku

i keep seeing this one SITTING OUTSIDE ON THE SIDE OF THE ROAD at this little antique/vintage store. the morons probably just dont understand. i really need to see how much they want for it.

Apr 23, 07 11:03 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

+i, please don't think I think it's your fault the Aeron is uncomfortable - every body is different, surely there are some bodies for which the Aeron just isn't right. The Aerons do come in different sizes, right? Are you little, in a large sized chair, or the opposite? Either scenario would definitely be a problem.

bucku, go buy it. Leave work now and go buy it.

Apr 23, 07 11:45 am  · 
 · 

Give me a Herman Miller Aeron chair or give me death.

Dec 31, 15 2:14 am  · 
 · 
midlander

mmm, spambots, bringing back forgotten but interesting threads from times past...

anyway, I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who hates my office Aeron chair. Numb legs, sore lower back, numbness in a place I try to ignore at work. FWIW I am of exactly average height and optimal BMI according to the statistics, and I can't adjust the discomfort out of it. It's the lackadaisical support of that mesh that kills me. Comfortable for an hour, horrible for 8.

I swapped it for an ugly ordinary solid-seat chair from accounting and feel alive and vigorous once again.

Dec 31, 15 4:32 am  · 
 · 
geezertect

You whippersnappers don't know what discomfort is.  Back in the days of hand drafting you drew at an elevated drafting table and sat all day on a wood or metal stool.  The only relief was to stand and draft periodically.  Oh, and most offices required neck ties even though clients were only a rumor, not an observed fact.  God, it's great to be retired.

Dec 31, 15 7:41 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

this thread is filled with the ghosts of archinect.

Dec 31, 15 11:43 am  · 
 · 
midlander

where'd they all go? promoted into obscurity, too busy to mix here now?

Dec 31, 15 7:26 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

Tie for best between Knoll Sapper & Eames Soft Pad, had both....fell asleep faster in latter.

Dec 31, 15 7:57 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

You all have it easy, for worst, has to be my first job...didn’t even have a back or a pad!

Dec 31, 15 8:06 pm  · 
 · 

Ah... a stool

I seen some horrible and completely unpadded and uncomfortable stools at the architecture school at UO (University of Oregon)

Dec 31, 15 9:17 pm  · 
 · 
JeromeS

^lol 

You saw them in a brochure? On their website? 

Dec 31, 15 9:48 pm  · 
 · 

JeromeS,

No. I saw them in person while I was there at the University. Some of my classes I took were in fact in Lawrence Hall. Just saying, man. I never sat in them for long because they were just that uncomfortable.

Jan 1, 16 12:05 am  · 
 · 
gruen
I think one thing is that most of us use a computer, at a desk that is 29-30" high. This is slightly too high for your arms, they should form a 90 deg angle, not be tilted up to the mouse and keyboard. Over time you'll get neck and shoulder pain. A good chair helps, but getting a lower work surface is better.
Jan 1, 16 1:42 pm  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

I sit on a shitty blue chair at work, we ain't no fancy ass architecture office using felt tip pens drawing patterns whilst sitting on Eames chairs.

..my back hurts.

Jan 4, 16 4:25 am  · 
 · 

Stand-up drafting board. No stool, no chair, no problem. 

Jan 4, 16 9:17 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: