Archinect
anchor

Best reference book for identifying parts of a building?

TheCollector

Is there an architectural encyclopedia style book which identifies key parts of the building and their function/ history? For example, a drawing which labels the names of the different parts of a structure (mullions, transoms etc) as well as different roof forms and layouts? It would be an added bonus if this included ecclesiastical architecture.

Aug 25, 12 5:38 pm
backbay

ching.  just pick one.

Aug 25, 12 7:52 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Ditto.

Aug 25, 12 8:32 pm  · 
 · 

What Due89 means, in case it's not clear, is any book by Francis DK Ching.

If you want to dive in deeply, Sir Banister Fletcher's A History of Architecture, where you'll find over a thousand pages like this:

Aug 25, 12 11:15 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Nice post, Donna.  Those are exquisite!

Aug 26, 12 1:20 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

"And what this is?"

"A window"

"and this?"

"another window"

"and this?"

"yet another window"

"and..."

"window again"

"high five. I liiike."

Aug 26, 12 1:32 pm  · 
 · 
TIQM

Andrea Palladio - Il Quattro Libre :)

Aug 26, 12 6:52 pm  · 
 · 
TheCollector

Thank you for all of the replies. The Banister Fletcher book looks ideal.I will have a look at the Ching books too.

Aug 26, 12 7:54 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

There are also Architectural Graphic Standards and Interior Design Graphic Standards, but they are pricey.

Aug 27, 12 1:15 pm  · 
 · 
steve32

I've found this one useful:

Reading Architecture: A Visual Lexicon

by Owen Hopkins

Aug 31, 16 5:40 pm  · 
 · 
accesskb

just get the Dictionary of Architecture and Construction

Sep 1, 16 2:15 am  · 
 · 
MyDream

One of my many books is the Fundamentals of Building Construction Materials and Methods. I use a great deal many more, but this one is the one that I used to get my feet wet with just what is all included in a building.

Sep 1, 16 4:02 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: