Archinect
anchor

Architecture vs Industrial Design

difficultfix

over the web I hear Comments..

about ID(industrial Design not Interior) Education is more harsh then Architecture. That id studios are more intense.

That anyone can go for a masters of Architecture.....

But inorder to obtain a Master of Industrial design....you have to have a Bachelor of ID. I read that they would not accept a graduate with a B Arch into a Masters of Industrial design. Because they do not hold a Strong enough design background.....

www.core77.com discussions

I was curious if any of you have ID back grounds.....and what is your take on this.

Apr 12, 07 12:22 pm

I know right off the batt that two schools (one of which is very respected in ID) that this assumption does not apply to: IIT and Pratt. They each specifically cater to people with differing backgrounds but a high level of talent, and Pratt remains one of the top-ranked ID schools out there.

I'm also a lurker on core77, and have been disturbed by some of these comments.

Apr 12, 07 12:33 pm  · 
 · 
Entasis79

I have an ID undergrad degree from RIT.
I am going for my MArch in the fall.

I think over all, both areas attract the same type of person. Both use similar problem solving techniques. Both are 3-d oriented.
My ID studios were very intense, but I can't image architecture would be any less?!?
I was in the ID studio a lot of the time that I was not in any other class, however, I definitely had free time. Now, maybe this was just because I was an undergrad?

I was in the model shop a lot. I was in from of a computer using Rhino, FormZ, AutoCAD A LOT! But I really don't think it would be more intense than Arch.

It is my opinion that architecture has much more potential to help people on a much more basic level. Shelter. How can you beat that?

Apr 12, 07 12:35 pm  · 
 · 
difficultfix

rationalist

Sorry for disturbing you.....

I read it on those discussions...when i was looking for more info
on education options.

I was just curious how true those comments where.

Apr 12, 07 12:40 pm  · 
 · 
difficultfix

Entasis79

cool, thanks for your input........

Apr 12, 07 12:42 pm  · 
 · 

It's not you disturbing me, it's these people with this 'trade mentality' that Industrial Design (or Graphic Design, or even Architecture) is soooooo superior to any other type of design, that feels the need to put other people down in order to lift themselves up...

In addition to the schools I mentioned, there are several others that will let someone with a different degree complete a single "post-bac" year or undergrad coursework, after which they are eligible to apply to Masters programs. To me, this sounds exactly like the difference between 2-year and 3-year M.Archs.

Apr 12, 07 12:46 pm  · 
 · 

At RISD: "Applicants should have the equivalent of four years of design education and/or combined art and design education." That's a pretty open statement...

At Pratt: "A minimum of 48 credits of study is required for a Masters of Industrial Design. Up to an additional 12 credits may be required for applicants whose undergraduate backgrounds need strengthening in art and design related areas." leaving open the possibility of admitting applicants who need some undergrad work in industrial design.

UIUC does not even bother to mention what sort of background is required for their MFA Industrial Design program, and rely on the portfolio to tell if someone is capable.

Apr 12, 07 12:54 pm  · 
 · 
charlatan

What I wonder about is the fact that you can earn a BFA in ID from the Academy of Art in SF, entirely online. Try finding an online architecture program.

Apr 12, 07 12:55 pm  · 
 · 
difficultfix
http://www.the-bac.edu/x1100.xml

the BAC has a program called

Distance M. ARCH

its an online masters

Apr 12, 07 1:04 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

I can't speak for you Yankees, but our education system in Canada is just slightly different.

Bear with me for a second...

Only 2 schools up here will accept students into M.Arch without a B.Arch, but they have to have a previous Bachelors, AND it generally takes at least 4 more years to get the M.Arch (instead of the regular 2 if you have a B.Arch).

That is my situation, taking a 4-year M.Arch because my background is in Industrial Design (B.Des.)

As for how brutal the critiques are, I can't say how they compare to architecture because I haven't started my architectural education. When I recently spoke to one of my profs (an American, AIA professional) who'd started teaching industrial design classes, he told me that industrial design students are by and large much more motivated and ready to work.

The crits in ID range from decent to horrible. I don't think I ever saw anybody actually cry after a crit, but I'm sure we have all cried a little on the inside now and again. For my thesis presentation (yes, we had a thesis for our Bachelors - and it was 1.5 years!) I was lucky in that my thesis prof helped to defend my project, because one of the visiting profs tried to get me to hang myself.

Maybe it was just the style of that faculty at that particular time, but most of them wouldn't tell you that your work was horrible, but they'd make suggestions that really made you look seriously at your work. If you hadn't thought of something, they made sure to point it out, and although it sounds gentle, it generally made you look like a fool in front of the entire room.

I really doubt that ID and architecture are really that different when it comes down to it (in terms of education) aside from the technical aspects that architecture stresses, and for good reason. The ID kids and the Environmental Design kids have always occupied the same floor space at my school, with just a pathway between everyone's work areas.

One thing that I will say for sure, however, is the difference in how both types of students work. In ID, students will assemble tables and perform their own crits. They'll hand around models and design on consensus. On the other hand, the ED students put up walls around them - literally - as in office cubicles, and speak over the walls to eachother. They are much more quiet and less social, and often seem to be designing in a vacuum, instead of going out of their way for critique like the ID students do.

Oh, and one last thing: I took an ED class and it was horrible. Not because of the work - I liked doing that - but because the prof was totally off his rocker. Sir, it's nice to meet you, but I don't need to know that you have a foot fetish, thanks.

Apr 12, 07 1:10 pm  · 
 · 
i know the truth.

which, in your assertion, is.....?

Apr 12, 07 1:26 pm  · 
 · 
charlatan

The online masters degree assumes some sort of brick and mortar bachelor's in Architecture.

Apr 12, 07 1:32 pm  · 
 · 
rabbits

ID is for Tools.

-andrew

Apr 12, 07 1:35 pm  · 
 · 
Japhy

I got my undergrad in ID (and will be going on for an MArch). I would agree that the "intensity" of the studios is probably just the same (although I guess I'll find out). I definitely had a huge workload at times (a few all-nighters) and the studio critics ranged from those who gave insightful and constructive criticism to those with GIANT egos who just wanted to cut you down without giving you any useful information (all the while reminding you of how they're a "world famous designer.") Oh and Slantsix, we had to do thesis project our senior year too (I think most ID programs do one).
DifficultFix: are you considering an ID program?

Apr 12, 07 2:10 pm  · 
 · 
difficultfix

I am an M.Arch student at the moment, But I was just looking around....Always looking to see what else is out there.. how other design ideas and design styles can help each other

Right now at the moment Architecture really sticks in my head more than anything........

I am just inspired by all aspects of design.

Apr 12, 07 2:25 pm  · 
 · 
Japhy

Well the good thing is that there is a lot of overlap in the design professions, especially between architecture and industrial design. Many architects design products and/or furniture as well.

Apr 12, 07 2:34 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

maybe you can design the next generation dust mop.

Apr 12, 07 3:17 pm  · 
 · 
charlatan

Make it sustainable out of recycled broom handles and human hair recovered from the drains of renovation projects.

Apr 12, 07 3:22 pm  · 
 · 
Gravitas

My roommate is an ID master's student with a background in sculpture. I'm an March student at the same school. It seems like he works pretty much as hard as me and as many hours, obviously it's what you put into it anyway. The important part is that we both benefit from the relationship and having access to both sides of the coin. But when all's said and done I'll be able to design a chair if knoll wants me to but he won't legally be allowed to design a building if the guggenhiem wants him to. This says nothing about architetcs of record or the quality of building or chair, it's just a simple fact.

Apr 12, 07 3:22 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

he can legally design a building. A licensed architect would need to stamp the drawings.

Apr 12, 07 3:57 pm  · 
 · 
Japhy

Hmm, the next generation of dust mop and sustainable too? How about this mop

Apr 12, 07 4:29 pm  · 
 · 
MollyB

I got my bachelor of industrial design few years ago and i just finished my master of architecture. In my school, anyone can literally go apply for the master of id program as long as they accept you. we even had students who had an engineering as their undergrad doing master in id.

From my point of view and experiences being in both id and architecture school. I have to say, architecture is much more intense than id. Maybe the id program i went through was jsut an undergraduate program but even then, I remember i was either in the model shop or the computer lab clicking away. During those 4 yrs of id, I still had sunday off occasionally. Sat is mostly spend in the model shop. However, while i was in architecture school. It was insane. I did had weekends off at the beginning but after that, everyday was studio days. Days and nights.

Looking back now, I find industrial design was much more relaxing and not as intense. You work with smaller scale and its something that you can feel every edge in your hands. eg. furniture, products. Architectrure deals with a much bigger scale and grasp into lots more aspects other than just designing.

anyways, thats just my thought.....

Apr 12, 07 7:11 pm  · 
 · 
binary

i was accepted to cranbrook for my masters in I.D. and i have a b.a. arch (5 year prof)...

still debating on going

b

Apr 12, 07 8:30 pm  · 
 · 

^^ exactly. And Cranbrook is one of the most artsy-fartsy design schools out there!

Apr 12, 07 8:32 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

The life of an Industrial Designer is as intense as that of an Architect.. I have a friend who is an extablished Industrial Designer,
and everytime I drive by his office/lab/shop....and if I'm not mistaken his second home....he is there. Like when I have an early morning meeting and I think damn I'm at it early this morning and I drive by his office on my way to a site and he is there working.

I ran into him at the grocery store the other night and I mentioned he works as many hours as I do. His comment was, sorta like mine.
I hate to hire, I hate to fire....so with a couple of computers and computer programs...I work longer hours and pay my help more but
we get more done.

Apr 12, 07 9:29 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: