Archinect
anchor

Feedback needed on Work Samples for a general job application.

Tasneemz

Hello everyone,

I would appreciate some feedback about my work samples. I have read
other discussions where some suggest to have only 2 pages with work
examples from multiple projects. I went with one page for each
project. I provided 4 here. Is that too much information on each page
for samples?

I thought it would be nice if each project could tell its
story on its own page as opposed to having multiple projects on one
page. I want to add at least one or two more examples.
I am open to any suggestions about that and my resume (which I
designed to fit the format).

The link below shows these viewed as a booklet, but it is supposed to
be viewed as a regular pdf, with each page on it's own rather than
being part of a spread. I only added the blank pages so it works on
ISSUU for your viewing.
http://issuu.com/TMZR/docs/tm_sample_pages/1

Thank you!

Aug 23, 12 9:33 am

Tasneem - I like how your using most of the space on the page. Your projects a very interesting as well.

I'm wondering why you have two pages and the left page is blank? This would work for making a paper copy but for digital purposes I would suggest scraping the left page. Overall - good work man!

Do you have an architecture job now?

Aug 23, 12 2:40 pm  · 
 · 
ncecchi

The first page is completely unnecessary if it is a digital portfolio. That is the first thing someone will see when they open it, and it probably looks identical to many other portfolios they have seen.

I want to be Shock and awe-d by the first page of a portfolio, either with a beautiful image, or with so many images of different projects I immediately think you must be some kind of wunderkind.

I would want to see a portfolio tell a story when in a face-to-face interview, but for a first impression, you want to show them shiny stuff in small images so there is no room to criticize it. 

I sent out portfolios and work samples very similar to yours so many times (I probably applied to well over 300 jobs), but when I simplified to what is basically a contact sheet of images, plus a resume and a letter of interest, I  increased call-backs by an order of magnitude. 

I will try to post a sample of what I was sending out this evening.

Aug 23, 12 2:49 pm  · 
 · 

Matthew - Thank you for your comment! Regarding the blank pages, this was only because ISSUU only lets you view multiple pages as spreads. When I uploaded it the first time (It's my first time using an online portfolio website), my pages were facing. But the intent is to have this as a regular pdf attachment where you would scroll down to view the pages one by one. So I just added the blank pages so each page is viewed individually. When I submit it, it won't be on ISSUU, but just a PDF attachment in an email.

I do have a job, but I want to be prepared in case things slow down (We are a very small firm), and I want to gain more experience in base building design because my current work mostly involves Interior Architecture.

Nicholas - I definitely agree about the first page. I will work on the cover, or find another way to introduce my work (Maybe with my cover letter?). And you have a point about having smaller images and leaving no room for criticism. I never really thought about that. I would love to see an example, I appreciate your feedback!

Aug 23, 12 3:12 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: