Archinect
anchor

the shape of two cities @ columbia university

sandiego

Any thoughts on the New York/Paris Program offer by Columbia University? I am taking a break from work and considering attending this program.

Apr 9, 07 2:58 pm
101W101

I have some friends who participated in this program. From what I hear this program is NOT a "walk in the park." It's very intense and seems to work as a filter for those who are and are not truly interested in architecture. They all recommend the program as they have moved onto graduate programs at schools such as Columbia, GSD, Pratt, and Yale.

Good luck.

Apr 9, 07 4:03 pm  · 
 · 
ibizaClubbin

I'm starting this program in the fall...i'm definitely looking fwd to it. I was a computer engineer but i've decided that THAT world was'nt for me. Over the yrs my interest in architecture has grown and now i've finally decided to take that next step. 101w101, its good that u mentioned this program as a "filter"...i'm hoping that architecture is indeed what i wanna do...and that the NY/Paris program will give me a boost in the right direction. Would ur friends say that this program was a vital component for them getting into those schools?

Jul 9, 07 7:29 pm  · 
 · 
squaresquared

Danielle Smoller, the New York studio critic and director, is amazing. I had her as a critic during the Summer Program at the GSAPP. She's very demanding, but you definitely get intelligent criticism and feedback about your work. She isn't a walk in the park.

In fact, I was disappointed that other Columbia professors and critics were not as rigorous and invested as she when I started there as a MArch student. It definitely helps with admission to the GSAPP (and other competitive MArch programs) if you are a successful student in either the New York/Paris or Summer Programs. There were a number of MArch students at the GSAPP who had done one or both programs.

Jul 10, 07 1:23 pm  · 
 · 
ibizaClubbin

SqdSqd, I have'nt met Danielle Smoller yet, but from brief conversations over the phone with her, i can already tell that she is strong, intelligent, and willing to push her students to get whatever is necessary out of them. I like that and i can't wait to work with her!

I just wonder if the NY/Paris studio courses will give me enough quality projects to complete a strong portfolio. I have always been good at sketching but do not come from an arts background. So when i read the "2007 M.Arch applicants commiserate here!" thread and took a look at some of the portfolios ppl were submitting, my jaw dropped. There were elevation drawings, renderings...the whole lot. I have'nt done ANYTHING like that in my entire life...i'm just hoping NY/Paris can give me the necessary tools to be able to submit a decent portfolio worthy of receiving consideration for acceptance at competitive M.Arch programs.

Jul 10, 07 2:50 pm  · 
 · 
squaresquared

IC, Just dive in to your work at the GSAPP and push yourself to do the very best work that you're capable of. Drawing plans, elevations and sections are important skills that you'll learn as you get more experience over time. Having intelligence and and the ability be articulate and self-critical about your work are more important. Columbia accepts a number of MArch students who have non-architecture backgrounds, though getting started in the program is significantly harder for them, it seems. You'll be in good hands with Danielle. Good luck!

Jul 10, 07 4:04 pm  · 
 · 
ibizaClubbin

Thank you sqdsqd, i plan on going full bore and completely immersing myself in this program. Suprisingly, there are a lot of ppl without arch backgrounds in the program as well. Hopefully we can get thru it together all the while pushing each other to become better.

Any other present or past NY/Paris'ers out there? I would love to hear what u all thought about the program. Also, what skills or teachings did u acquire from NY/Paris that u feel has helped u succeed at where u r now.

Jul 10, 07 5:22 pm  · 
 · 
DreamDesign

Hi. Any more words on the NY/Paris Program ?

Aug 5, 09 10:56 pm  · 
 · 
folk

I did the program two years ago and it was the best year of my academic and professional career thus far. Danielle will push you, you will not sleep, but after the new york portion things change a bit. There is new leadership in Paris since I participated. This is worth every cent. It will build confidence, critical thinking, and a solid understanding of architecture and urbanism. Hands down the best thing I've done so far in life.

Sep 2, 09 1:52 pm  · 
 · 
bisoubisou

I heard it can increase you chances into getting into GSAPP, but it definitely depends on your own personal success in the program. If you have hesitations about investing so much time/money into something a year long, maybe try the Intro to Architecture program instead, which is only 5 weeks, but it will feel much longer than that with your expected 19 + hour studio days (but you will learn a lot). But I say go for it! It sounds like a really good program/experience. I wish I had done it but I'm already in m.arch.

Sep 4, 09 5:57 pm  · 
 · 
jacbee

did most of you decide to take the architecture studio route, or the urban studies route? as far as i'm concerned, this is an option?

Sep 17, 09 2:33 pm  · 
 · 
londi17

Hi

I'm a current student at UCSD in California as a Urban Studies and Planning major. I'm in Junior standing and am going to take part in the UCLA Jump-Start to Architecture program over the summer.

But I was also looking in to the Columbia Shape of two cities program, and for those who got in... do you recommend that I apply for this program for Fall '10 or wait till i graduate from UCSD in '11 and then apply? and how intense is it to get in to the program? Any advice/pointers i should include in my application?

Thank you!!!!

Feb 17, 10 6:18 pm  · 
 · 
treelight

Hey

As I began exploring study away options for my junior year, I came across the Shape of the City program. I'm currently finishing up my first year as an undergrad. (I'm actually leaving tomorrow morning!)

Anyway, this program looks great. And I'd love to be accepted into it, and have already started thinking about the application, possible recommendations, and ways to build up my resume....

I realize that the group of students accepted come from very different backgrounds in terms of interests, age, etc. How many students are accepted on average? Are most of them undergrads or postgrads?

Basically, I want to figure out the likelihood of my application being taken seriously given I will be applying my sophomore year of undergrad. I plan to apply regardless, but I'm interested in knowing

Any information you have to offer would be great, thanks!

May 15, 10 6:02 pm  · 
 · 

I was accepted to this program in 2001, but actually pulled out at the last minute to do a self organized study abroad in London... I will say I loved my London experience but I have always wanted to do this program someday...

Do you think there is any point for someone to do it that already has a MArch from an Ivy League school??? Prob not... but I still want to.

May 17, 10 5:12 am  · 
 · 
S248

I am joining the program next month. I've opted the Urban Design part of the program because I'd like to do my masters degree in Urban Design. But I'm told that the syllabus for 'Architecture' is more effective than 'UD'. I have a background in Architecture  (B.Arch with studies in Urban Design) at this point I'm pretty much open to both, but I've had very minimal experience in UD. Does anyone know exactly how differently the two subjects are treated in this program? Is it true that one is not as effective as the other?

Also, I'm planning to take a freelance internship to support myself during the program. Will have the time for work other than what is part of the program? 

Aug 17, 17 6:21 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: