Archinect
anchor

No license... how much to pay licensed architect to stamp drawings?

Aug 8 '12 106 Last Comment
RKEYTECH
Jul 29, 13 11:57 pm

Only in as much their money allows them to influence the architects aesthetic decisions. A good designer will steer his client to the correctly balanced result leaving little on the table for negative critique. There in lies the balance of politicking, you must talk a good game for them to trust your aesthetic instincts; it's as much sales as any other field, especially if your dealing with type A developers with strong directions; their branding becomes your stylistic cues...

Miles JaffeMiles Jaffe
Jul 30, 13 12:58 am

Have you ever worked for a developer? Have you ever produced a building at all?

ROMA BELSITO. ARCH.
Aug 22, 13 11:52 am

Some other countries such as the ones you mentioned above do not allowed "students" to build anything. In my case, I got my architect degree in Venezuela in one of the best schools in Caracas. Graduate as Architect and Master Planner.

1. There is NO 3 years bachelor in architecture in the countries you mentioned. IT IS A 5 YEAR program MANDATORY in 3 years you are a drafter nothing more than that (just like in Italy were I am originally from and since is a union I suspect in France is a 5 year program as well)

2. You are required to KNOW and execute ALL aspects of the project to get your degree (design and calculate structures mostly concrete and high tech, design and calculate plumbing, mechanical and be responsible for everything and everyone)

3. You take during the last year 2 semesters of professional practices which includes code research and understanding of ETHICS.

By the time I graduate in 2004 I have successfully built two high rises of 4 towers (14 floors each)  and was responsible for every single aspect of the project (getting up at 5am to be present when the concrete arrive).

By the time I move to the states in 2006 and started my license process it was a bliss. I accumulate more credits than required and pass the test with flying colors.

All and all. I do not think any respectable architect will ever sign and seal your dwg. and starving architect don't have licenses. 

Roma

gruen
Aug 23, 13 8:54 am

I suppose this discussion highlights the difference between how residential buildings are built (often without design professionals) and how larger buildings are built (always with design professionals) if you don't know the difference or haven't experienced it a few times then why are you talking?

architectm
Nov 20, 13 11:14 am

I came to this post looking for an answer to the original question. All other long (though interesting) side conversations at all, whether you approve or not.....how much is reasonable to chart for stamping/sealing a set of documents, from permit phase through construction?

Yes, of course I'll be reviewing the drawings beforehand (with a fine-toothed comb). The person doing the drawings is my associate, but we are not partners. The issue is that I am licensed in one particular state and he isn't. He is licensed in other states but doesn't want to apply for another license.

Donna SinkDonna Sink
Nov 20, 13 11:22 am

Your "associate" as in a member of the same firm, or as in a drinking buddy?

My state (Indiana) specifically states in the code that employees in a professional service firm can prepare the drawings that the architect in the firm then stamps.  That's standard practice.  

• ×Search in:

Please wait... loading
Please wait... loading