Archinect
anchor

montreal architecture firms?

arkitekt

hi. i'm moving to montreal after working in nyc for the last ten years. don't know much about what's out there and was hoping to get some recommendations of small to medium sized firms doing nice work?

does anyone have any idea of what resources there are for looking for job postings in montreal?

Mar 24, 07 11:28 am
darthlook

saucier and perrote
Provencher Roy

Mar 25, 07 11:13 am  · 
 · 
samsa13
Dan Hanganu
Mar 26, 07 12:04 am  · 
 · 
kylemiller

Pierre Thibault http://www.pthibault.com/

Mar 26, 07 12:17 am  · 
 · 
arkitekt

does anyone know if speaking french is absolutely critical for getting a job at a good firm, as recommended above?

Mar 28, 07 1:34 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

oui

Mar 28, 07 2:45 pm  · 
 · 
ochona

"ecoutez-moi, classe...s'il vous plait...merci."

tu ne pouvez pas travailler en quebec sans francais. est contraire la loi.

bonne chance, montreal est frette cette temp d'annee.

my french sucks so you won't see me at the next desk.

Mar 28, 07 9:09 pm  · 
 · 
tee

i work at one of the aforementioned firms - i don't speak any french (minus the occasional yes, no, i'm hungry) and it's fine. to my knowledge, it's advantageous to speak french, but not necessary.

May 15, 07 5:23 pm  · 
 · 
Hemmeh

Hi, I just came across this post and was wondering how you approached getting a job inMontreal  without being bilingual. I am currently looking for work there and would love any suggestions! 

Thanks!

Aug 24, 14 9:20 pm  · 
 · 
fizashaikh

Me too

Aug 25, 14 7:19 am  · 
 · 

You may be able to get a short-term intern type job there, but it's law that all professionals must be bilingual in Quebec. You won't be able to find much in terms of career advancement in Montreal. Beautiful city, but even being bilingual there's not a whole lot of work. Most of my friends have moved to Toronto or Ottawa. 

Aug 25, 14 10:15 am  · 
 · 
Bench

^ ^ I wouldn't recommend Ottawa in particular; the city is currently (and expected to continue to be) a slow-growth area due to the breadth of public service reductions; or at least thats what the local principles I've spoken to have commented.

Aug 25, 14 11:12 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

BenC, public sector reductions does not mean that construction is stopped. Ottawa might not be as busy as Toronto, but there are loads of new condominiums, office towers and transit projects underway not to mention the constant int-des projects required to shift all that work force around while new offices get finished. The hard part is getting into one of the few offices that have contracts for these projects.

I've know some people who worked in Montreal without speaking french but not many of them stayed long. Writing specs and drawing up details in both official languages is a pain in the ass.

Aug 25, 14 11:43 am  · 
 · 
lunamorales

Hi,

I just finished my architectural technology program and I was wondering what firms would be the best for me in Montreal. I speak French, English and Spanish and have worked during the past summers in NYC.

Thank you!

Jun 13, 17 10:51 pm  · 
 · 
AdrianFGA

^

extensive list of "bureaux d'architecte" in Montreal

more selective list

and yes, you must speak French

Jun 14, 17 4:59 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: