Archinect
anchor

flickr as online portfolio?

so i recently got a new camera, and upgraded my flickr account so i could display more than 200 photos at a time (neccessary for party pics)

now i'm thinking, this is *almost* good enough to serve as an online portfolio... clean interface, nice heirarchy, the variety in image sizes seems well-suited to thumbnails and larger details.... but one drawback is it doesn't seem possible to put photos in any kind of order within sets... other than reverse-chronological by upload date.

you can time shift the photos, but this seems like it would be a hassle.... anyone know of a good app/site that allows you to easily "fix" the display order of your "photos" on flickr?

Mar 19, 07 11:38 pm

Yeah, you can do sets, just click on 'organize' there at the topmost menu. Easy.

Once you've made your set click on 'make stuff' when you're in the set page and you can get a pretty decent book printed up. Instant portfolio.

Mar 19, 07 11:47 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

You can do collections now too. So you can do each project in a set and then group the sets in a "collection" which would be your whole portfolio. I'm just saying.

Mar 19, 07 11:53 pm  · 
 · 

I would suggest just creating an account with Coroflot instead. That's where my portfolio's hosted, and it's been super-easy.

Mar 19, 07 11:54 pm  · 
 · 

but... if i post with Coroflot, potential employers won't be able to easily see how much fun my friends and i have getting drunk!

Mar 20, 07 12:04 am  · 
 · 

that's cool... didn't realize you could change the order within sets, just the main "stream" sorts by date uploaded...

Mar 20, 07 12:08 am  · 
 · 
toms

i use flickr mainly to archive all my photos as well as for e-mail crits with teachers. The layout and ease of browsing have been appreciated by all of my instructors. As far as portfolio's and presentation images go im not sure if the quality is high enough. The slideshow only displays small images (while still being a cool flash interface), and using the web to view images is clumsy.

For example, you will probably want to have high resolution and large images, so the user is forced to scroll to the side and up and down, switch back between sizes in order to achieve the full effect. Having a print out in front of you provides for a better interaction... which is what we are all trying to get out of our portfolios.

2gigs a month is a steal tho, i have never hit my limit, and have been trying pretty hard.

Mar 20, 07 2:32 am  · 
 · 
kylemiller

rationalist... how can you increase the image quality on Coroflot? do you upload as high quality jpgs? ive been trying to export from illustrator.... any suggestions?

Mar 20, 07 4:01 am  · 
 · 
quizzical

as an employer, I encourage candidates to use sites like flickr as a respository for sample portfolio images ... while this will never take the place of a printed portfolio that we'll use during an interview, it does give us a really easy way to scan through a variety of images and develop a sense of what the candidate's portfolio will reveal. that's very helpful during the stage when we're deciding whether to invest more time in a candidate or not.

if I were you, I wouldn't obsess much about whether the site can handle high-resolution images -- I'd focus more on speed and ease of use for the viewer and how easy it will be for you to update, label and manipulate the images.

compared to receiving, and then having to save and open, 15 large jpeg files, sites like flickr are a great way for employers to gain a quick peek at your work samples. I love this trend.

Mar 20, 07 10:05 am  · 
 · 

43N88W- I use the 'Save for Web' command, as close to their specified size as I can get it (over that makes things take longer to load as the website automatically resizes for you). I think mine turned out ok this way.

Mar 20, 07 4:19 pm  · 
 · 
rckaflla88

i second coroflot

once you upload it saves it for you and the viewer can view the original uploaded size for closer inspection.

Mar 21, 07 10:34 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: