Archinect
anchor

University of Manitoba Env. Design - Fall 2012

Nicole B

Anybody on here possibly going to University of Manitoba in the fall? I have received acceptance, but am still waiting to hear from Dalhousie as I am on their high wait list. If I do not get in, I will be attending University of Manitoba in the fall. It would be nice to know someone before heading out -- and possibly find a roommate? (Places seem a lot cheaper for two)

Jul 10, 12 6:01 pm
smileandshine

Hey !

I know this might be really late to reply to your post. Just curious where did you end up going ?

I am planning to join for Fall 2017. If it was UManitoba how was your experience ? I have lots of questions.

Could you please help me out

Thanks

Apr 12, 17 5:15 am  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

I graduated about 5 years ago. What questions do you have? Might be able to point you in the right direction.

Apr 12, 17 5:40 pm  · 
 · 
smileandshine

Thanks bowling. That's really sweet of you to volunteer to help.

Apr 13, 17 12:12 am  · 
 · 
smileandshine

First of all i am choosing Manitoba because its the cheapest university in Canada. And i want to minimise my debt as an International student.(I am ready to live like Eskimo for 2 years)

But I have no clue about quality of education there. There's not much info available about M.arch program. I just read somewhere that research at U of Manitoba is good.

In other post you quoted " Right now the faculty is in transition and it would not be my first choice. The education is good but the faculty will likely be joining the faculty of engineering over the next few years, which in my opinion, would be terrible for staff and students." Could you please elaborate on this.

I just want to make sure I am making right choice by opting U Manitoba as eventually I want to return back to my home country after 1 or 2 years of experience(or as soon as i can clear my debt). So i just need more exposure in the field and I am even interested towards research and wouldn't mind going in academic field.

I am also getting admission in SPA (one of the best and renowned university) of my country but the quality of education and exposure here is not that good.

Apr 13, 17 12:42 am  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

I don't know the specifics of the country you're coming from, but in Canada, the architecture undergraduate degree isn't worth the paper it's printed on. What i mean is that if you stay in Canada and want to be a licensed architect, you'll have to also earn an accredited master's degree in architecture. Having said that, depending on your home country, you may simply become an architect after earning a bachelor's degree. You'll have to do that research yourself.

Apr 13, 17 1:20 am  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

As far as the value of education, if you're looking to move back home after graduation, i sincerely doubt that the name of your Canadian school will matter at all. The university of Manitoba undergrad is a middle of the pack education. Not the worst and the best. After your first job, nobody will care where you went to school anyway.

Apr 13, 17 1:23 am  · 
 · 
smileandshine

Yes,

Apr 13, 17 2:49 am  · 
 · 
smileandshine

Yes i have information. I am already working and also have a architectural licence.

Apr 13, 17 4:22 am  · 
 · 
smileandshine

Yes i have information. I am already working and also have a architectural licence.

I am only aiming for an international exposure to develop my skill set. My goal is to pursue my entrepreneur skills and join a current startup back in India along with my research. 

I guess in the end it will be counted as graduate program from Canadian University only so i am looking for a quality of education in the field.

Could you please comment on research opportunities there. I would really like to work as TA and RA.

And yes i am more inclined towards vernacular and sustainable architecture.For me function over form is the thing, I am more interested in carving interesting spaces and deal with climate.

I have no idea about architectural philosophy of the university.Could you please help ?

Apr 13, 17 4:40 am  · 
 · 
smileandshine

quality of education in the field with minimum debt*.

Apr 13, 17 6:41 am  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

I hate to be harsh, but this just might be the dumbest idea I've ever heard. This doesn't make any sense at all.

Apr 14, 17 12:30 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
A licensed Architect in India looking for undergrad arch studies degree in the middle of nowhere Canada to help with a startup business back in India?

Sounds like a great mel brooks movie.
Apr 13, 17 7:40 am  · 
 · 
Bench

*Danny Boyle movie.

Apr 13, 17 7:51 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: