Archinect
anchor

Fire Shutter

poop876

Hey guys,

I'm separating a building into two separate buildings with a 2 hr fire barrier (because of the allowable area) and because of IBC 706.6 the opening is restricted to 25% of the length and I am way above that. Based of of the commentary I would not be limited to that if I provide a tested product (fire shutter in this case) that is tested to the more rigorous provisions of ASTM E119 or NFPA 252. If I can find a fire shutter that is tested at 2 hrs I would be able to have that opening. Does anybody have any information on that? I've been looking at couple of manufacturers and can't find any info....plus I'm exhausted. Any help is appreciated!!!

May 5, 11 8:10 pm
Rusty!

These fire doors are listed under 'Overhead Coiling Doors'. Searching for 'shutter' may return weird results. Here are some manufacturers:

• Alpine Overhead Doors, Inc. www.alpinedoors.com
  • Atlas Door www.atlasdoor.com
  • Cookson Company www.cooksondoor.com
  • Cornell Iron Works Inc. www.cornelliron.com
  • Dynamic Closures Corporation www.dynamicclosures.com
  • Mahon Door Corporation www.mahondoors.com
  • McKeon Rolling Steel Door Company, Inc. www.mckeondoor.com
  • Metro Door www.metrodoor.com
  • Overhead Door Corp. http://www.overheaddoor.com/
  • Pacific Rolling Doors Co. http://www.pacificrollingdoor.com/
  • Raynor http://www.raynor.com/
  • Windsor Door, A MAGNATRAX http://www.windsordoor.com/

Is that what you are looking for?

May 5, 11 8:41 pm  · 
 · 
poop876

Thanks rusty for the list, but if you are familiar with fire doors, they are usually tested for less than 152 square feet. So the size of the doors for, lets say 3 hrs, or 1 hr is size specific...ex. it can be only 8' or so. In my case I need a manufacturer that makes shutters that are about 20 feet (more than the usual 152 square feet) and that are 2 hrs (tested at 2 hrs, ASTM 119). I will go through all of these manufacturers and see if I can find something, but I've used most of these manufacturers before and I've never seen a 2 hr fire rated shutter that around 20' wide!

Thank you again for your help!

May 5, 11 8:48 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

You are looking for UL "Oversize Fire Door Label".

Here's one such door. It goes up to 24' wide for 3-hour rating. You're welcome.

May 5, 11 9:01 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

Dude,

Your looking for a roll up coiling door. It can be on a fusible link and be concealed above the ceiling.  It doesn't have to look bad. I just did on in an Audi Automobile Dealership. I doubt if even one person notices it is even there and who knows howmany people walk thru the opening every day.  On the other hand 20' might be pushing it. 

I have used roll up doors in conditions up to 16', but would not reccomend it if the operation is day to day as these doors must be installed, on the NUT....slight  mis-alignment is a no, no.  If installed wrong these doors never work properly. I know because on my way to becoming an Architect I installed overhead doors.  These doors are extremely heavy and the operators are buggers to hang. Then you have to get them up and down if you have an electrical problem.  Worst thing is when some trucker is rushing thru the door and clips the bottom of the door because it hasn't cleared the opening.  This usually happens in the dead of winter, and at the end of the day or first thing in the morning. Off the shelf parts are unheard of for roll up doors...so you do the best you can to beat the damn thing back into some kind of shape and then lower it down with great care and then climb to the top and clamp the track and door so no one can attempt to open the door.  A sign will not work cause there is always some dude to lazy to read the sign. 

Best of luck!

May 5, 11 9:03 pm  · 
 · 
poop876

Rusty,

luckily the current plans examiner used to work with me and I will forward this and see if they would accept it. Thank you for your help!

snookie,

I've had oversized OHDs in buildings, but this is in a fire barrier (separating two areas) not a typical door I used before. I've never installed shutters personally so your input is very much appreciated!

P.S. this is also for a prototype dealership, which is going to break ground this year.

Thank you guys!

May 5, 11 9:15 pm  · 
 · 
cowan

Fire Shutters are used when there is a risk of fire spreading quickly through multiple locations, fire shutters are a necessity. Ask us about how they can fireguard your premises.

Nov 18, 14 5:03 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: