Archinect
anchor

I want to read about architecture and its history before applying to university. Any suggestions?

delusiona

I'm interested in books which are enjoyable for amateurs. Thanks a lot!

Jul 9, 12 9:24 am
RH-Arch

Modern Architecture: A Critical History by Keneth Frampton
Architecture and Disjunction by Bernard Tschumi
Delirious New York by Rem Koolhaas 
Complexity and Contradiction in Architecture by Robert Venturi
Toward an Architecture by Le Corbusier
On and By Frank Lloyd Wright by Robert McCarter
The Eyes of the Skin: The Architecture and the Senses by Juhani Pallasmaa
and many many others...

Jul 9, 12 1:37 pm  · 
 · 
Rang

Start out with some light reading:

Sanford Kwinter, Architectures of Time: Toward a Theory of the Event in Modernist Culture (2001)

Jul 9, 12 2:21 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

Since there are only histories of architecture (and no definitive history), If you wanted to start with the big picture from various viewpoints, I would suggest the following:

Kostof's "History of Architecture"

Frampton's "Modern Architecture: A Critical History"

Banham's "Architecture and Design in the First Machine Age"

Jul 9, 12 2:25 pm  · 
 · 
OneLostArchitect

Rand recommended tough reads for a amateur in my opinion. Those are books you will start getting into once you are in school. 

If you want History, you want Kostof:

A History of Architecture: Settings and Rituals by Spiro Kostof

Jul 9, 12 2:26 pm  · 
 · 
Tee002

The City Shaped by Kostof should be on the list as well. I’m not so sure it will be a bit heavy for starter, albeit really good one to read.

Jul 9, 12 3:48 pm  · 
 · 
RH-Arch

Also some other good read are Invisible Cities by Italo Calvino and The Image of the City by Kevin Lynch.

Jul 9, 12 4:16 pm  · 
 · 
bob/bob

Try Michael Sorkin and Witold Rybczynski- accessible and interesting writers.  I am in the process of reading Deyan Sudjic's The Edifice Complex: How the Rich and Powerful Shape the World and like it a lot so far. Mario Salvadori has a couple of good books on structure written for the layperson.

Jul 9, 12 4:23 pm  · 
 · 
TIQM

"A History of Western Architecture" by David Wadkin.

Jul 9, 12 10:17 pm  · 
 · 
metal

Don't read anything, just watch "my architect" and you'll be good to go.

Jul 9, 12 10:49 pm  · 
 · 
garethcooper9

History of Architecture by Kostof. Read it, if you like it then you can apply for an Architecture course.

Jul 10, 12 6:38 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

the fountainhead.  That's so realistic some people think it's non-fiction.  Also, at some point in your college education a professor will refer to Howard Roarke.  Might as well know who he is.

Jul 10, 12 9:13 am  · 
 · 
RH-Arch

I recommend the Wikipedia page f the fountainhead. You will understand all the references people make without wasting the time or developing the the misconceptions created by the book (you will probably just develop them from somewhere else though).

Jul 10, 12 9:16 am  · 
 · 

This might sound quaint, but if you want to read about architecture and arch history before going to university to study, try starting with the encyclopedia.  Basic intro and from there you can then look at their references and sources for more info.  And from there you can then follow your interests even further by looking at their sources. Dig through the footnotes and find your own way.  Frankly, a lot of the books listed above can be a waste of time if you don't have a decent foundation.

Yo!

Jul 10, 12 10:26 am  · 
 · 
RH-Arch

They still make encyclopedias? 

Jul 10, 12 10:29 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

I think the printed encyclopedia may be a thing of the past:

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/technology/2012/03/encyclopaedia-britannica-kills-its-print-edition/

However, wikipedia does have a page for starchitects:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starchitect

Jul 10, 12 10:37 am  · 
 · 
RH-Arch

The importance of knowing and aspiring to be a starchitect far exceeds any other knowledge you can have on architecture.

Jul 10, 12 11:13 am  · 
 · 

I just read Kengo Kuma's "Small Architecture, Natural Architecture." 

I highly recommend the two books. You can order an English copy of the book through the AA bookstore. The books aren't very thick, they go through architectural theory just as much as it does practicality in building...

May 3, 16 10:52 pm  · 
 · 
accesskb

read all the books suggested here and you will have read more theory books than many graduating from university xD

May 3, 16 11:13 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: