Archinect
anchor

What is the difference between an architecture degree and an architectural engineering degree?

Kayla54

Is the latter degree more on the architecture side or the engineering side? Will the graduate be able to enter both professions?

Jul 7, 12 3:28 am
accesskb

the latter says engineering so definitely engineering xD  I'd think it is more technical.  They're related, yet quite different.  Studying an architectural engineering degree will likely not give you the same education as an architecture degree.

Jul 7, 12 4:07 am  · 
 · 
citizen

What is architectural engineering?  Do you mean structural engineering?

Jul 7, 12 11:09 am  · 
 · 
RH-Arch

I am pretty sure that "architectural engineering" is structural engineering that focuses on systems and setups for architectural situations. However, through most states it would not allow you to practice architecture unless you go on to receive a M.Arch.

The normal architectural education doesn't only involve a broad look at the statics and the science of a building, but also addresses the spatial arrangements and creations, architectural history, theory, design, materials as they pertain to environmental and experiential qualities, methods of representation and presentation, and many other aspects. Most of these would be absent from a degree in architectural engineering.

or for a short answer-

engineering and not without an additional degree

Jul 7, 12 3:09 pm  · 
 · 
Dani Zoe

to answer citizen's question, Penn State has an Architectural Engineering (A.E.) program in the College of Engineering. Students are essentially Civil or Mechanical Engineers, but have a specific focus on buildings, studying their structure, HVAC systems, lighting, or construction management

A.E. students are not architects, though they get some background in architectural design and theory, they don't receive enough training to be designers. Essentially, I think the main difference between A.E. and architecture is that architecture students are taught design thinking and how to deal with uncertainty, you are more artistic. A.E. students think like scientists and deal with certainties, they know what will make the building work and stay together. 

So in the field, A.E.'s are generally consultants for an architect. The architect lays everything out then the engineer is brought in to make sure everything is spec'ed properly. I think most A.E. programs try to falsely promote themselves as architecture, really, they are just civil engineers that like buildings. That said though, legally any licensed engineer can design and build anything an architect can, they are just really bad at it. :-)

Jul 8, 12 3:39 pm  · 
 · 
RH-Arch

" legally any licensed engineer can design and build anything an architect can, they are just really bad at it. :-)" 
That is false. Anything involving aesthetics is strictly under the jurisdiction of a hired Architect (sometimes differs in different states, and also doesn't apply to certain residence types). An engineers stamp cannot be used on architectural drawings nor can an architectural stamp be used on engineering drawings due to legality and liability. 

Jul 8, 12 5:12 pm  · 
 · 
Dani Zoe

@rand: do you have a source for that? I am very interested because my engineer friends believe they can do whatever an architect can and more, claiming that they are going to outrun us architects in 20 years. If they can't, they should know and understand why. Also, it means I can stop the taunts!

Jul 8, 12 8:16 pm  · 
 · 
RH-Arch

http://www.ncarb.org/Becoming-an-Architect/Overview-of-the-Profession.aspx 
"All states, the District of Columbia, and three U.S. territories (Guam, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands) require individuals to be licensed (registered) before they may call themselves architects or contract to provide architectural services." 

Are you currently licensed?

Jul 8, 12 8:42 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

the architectural engineering degree will make you more $$$

Jul 9, 12 12:48 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: