Archinect
anchor

AUTOCAD vs ARCHICAD

Ana G.

the thing is that i am an autocad fan.. (there, I said it :), .. and as you all know archicad is supposed to be faster and it can easily create 3D images of a certain object/building..etc... but it seems to me that this program is unable to perform tasks that are not in his main menu without creating GDL objects.. i'm reffering to oblique walls (maybe with the roof tool....) or What about something like Herzog & de Meuron's Bird's nest?...maybe i ask too much... Anyway..I would like your opinions on these two computer programs.. or relieble alternatives.. maybe 3D STUDIO MAX..
What do u use?

Feb 1, 07 4:49 am

i use autocad for 2D drawings, autodesk architectural desktop (basically autocad) for 3D modelling and 3ds max for rendering.
i am not familiar with archicad.
i watched promotional videos for autodesk Revit and i think it's a very powerful drawing software, i'm looking forward to learn more about it.

Feb 1, 07 5:14 am  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

You might want to search the archives for this exact thread - it comes up every few weeks. But my experiance with archicad was just not that good. Terrible production program. For 3d bim modeling its easier than desktop, more intuitive, but ACAD is simply more powerful, has more options, just all round better.

Feb 1, 07 9:02 am  · 
 · 
robust84

ive never used Archicad. The debate i always hear is AUTOCAD vs. MICROSTATION

Feb 1, 07 10:25 am  · 
 · 
Apurimac

i've used and still like archicad, if you know how to use it you can make any shape/structure you want. For 2d drawings that are more presentational, i use AutoCAD because i feel it gives me more control over lineweight, etc. But the line tool on archiCAD may be just as good. What i like ArchiCAD for is its easy, building modeling system that lets me refrence a 3d model without having to deal with autoCAD 3d bullshit. Its just easier to use for making basic 3d models of buildings imo.

Feb 1, 07 9:48 pm  · 
 · 
spaghetti

bloobity not again

Feb 2, 07 12:13 am  · 
 · 
equinox

I've used AutoCad since V12, and I think it's great for 2d work. I tried Sketchup for a while, and think it's great if all you want to do is make a quick surface model. With it's intuitive interface, you can push and pull and tweak forms and comeup with some crazy geometries. You can even import the Sketchup models back into Autocad or 3d Studio for some fantastic rendering. For production work these days, Revit is the future for me. With database integration, the platform is allowing buildings to be like kits of parts, and there's a rather nice rendering engine included. I've not tried Vectorworks, but I think that program is probably comparible, although for me there would be a bit of a learning curve. I've been wanting to try Lightwave for added rendering finesse.

Feb 2, 07 6:22 pm  · 
 · 
spaghetti

i like the challenge of ms paint for my construction documents....

also for rendering:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElrldD02if0

Feb 2, 07 6:41 pm  · 
 · 
tidalwave1

that was cool. i wish i could do that!
then again i always compared the ARE graphics software to an early version of MacDraw...

Feb 2, 07 6:59 pm  · 
 · 
equinox

I wonder if the author of the MS Paint wizard was using a mouse? I think he or she used a graphics pen.

Feb 2, 07 7:14 pm  · 
 · 
equinox

I wonder if the author of the MS Paint wizard was using a mouse? I think he or she used a graphics pen.

Feb 2, 07 7:15 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

People still use archicad?

Aug 31, 14 11:23 am  · 
 · 
urbanity

yes we do.

Aug 31, 14 11:28 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I place it on par with form-Z.

I would never waste time with that software.

Aug 31, 14 12:17 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: