Archinect
anchor

Women in architecture

oiko

I was wondering if anyone had a similar experience... Few years ago I trained as an architect but never finished my part 2. My daily life of raising young children did not allow me to concentrate enough on my studies and after a while I gave up, being tired of juggling my studies with my family. The kids are much older now and I am in my early 40's, but still have this regret of not having a carrier in architecture. I am thinking of going back to it now but at my age is it reasonable ?

May 30, 12 10:58 am
accesskb

what do you mean by career in architecture?  getting your licensing and opening your own firm, or working in teh architecture industry?   If the latter, I don't see how you couldn't juggle that with kids.

May 31, 12 7:57 pm  · 
 · 
oiko

Working as an architect, getting my licensing and opening my own practice. This is what I had in mind when starting my studies.

Jun 1, 12 12:58 pm  · 
 · 
accesskb

I don't think 40's is too late if you are determined, hardworking and focused for the next few years.  I'm in my early 30's and just going for my masters.  Most architects don't start their dream careers of running a firm until they're past 50.

Jun 1, 12 2:22 pm  · 
 · 
archie

This is really not a "women in architecture" issue.  This is a "person who was distracted" issue.  All kinds of people juggle all kinds of life issues while studying and taking their tests, or starting a firm.   It does not matter what distracted you:  kids, sick parents, an bout with cancer, working two jobs, renovating a house, whatever.   Starting your own SUCCESSFUL practice requires an awful lot of dedication.  Your age and sex have nothing to do with it.  You did not have the dedication then.  Have things changed so that you have the dedication now?

Jun 1, 12 5:55 pm  · 
 · 
Sergo Antadze

Fact that someone still wants to pursue this profession in this economy shows dedication.  and factor of "women in architecture" still exists in many parts of this world.

question is are you ready to work minimum 60 hours a week, deal with regular daily B.S. and spend several years  drafting toilets before you will actually design something.

It is worth it for some people.

Jun 2, 12 3:19 am  · 
 · 
oiko

This is why I was interested to hear if there was anyone around that age who went back to pursue this profession, especially women.

Jun 2, 12 1:25 pm  · 
 · 
Medusa

When I was in 4th year studio, one of my classmates was a 41-year old lady with kids.  So you wouldn't be the first one to ever do it.  If you really want to do it, go for it.  It's no different than going back to school for any other career.  It's just a matter of budgeting your time efficiently.

Jun 2, 12 3:53 pm  · 
 · 
oiko

This is good to know. Thank you Medusa.

Jun 4, 12 6:59 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

This is really not a "women in architecture" issue.  This is a "person who was distracted" issue.  All kinds of people juggle all kinds of life issues while studying and taking their tests, or starting a firm.   It does not matter what distracted you:  kids, sick parents, an bout with cancer, working two jobs, renovating a house, whatever.   Starting your own SUCCESSFUL practice requires an awful lot of dedication.  Your age and sex have nothing to do with it.  You did not have the dedication then.  Have things changed so that you have the dedication now?

i agree that this is could also be a parent-with-responsibilities issue than just a woman issue...

however - IMO -  the key is to surround yourself with people who can step in and help you out when something comes up (and more shit will come up)- if you don't have that you end up putting everything on hold - which, if you are trying to start your own business, clients will not be as understanding as a boss or coworkers.  If you try to head back to work and you don't have that support system (even if you have to pay for it) it's going to be extremely difficult.

Jun 5, 12 10:31 am  · 
 · 

I also went to school with a 40 yo single mom, Paula, who had worked as a drafter her whole professional life and wanted to get her degree.  toaster's comment about having a support system is key - I know Paula was lonely sometimes, because she had a whole world of serious life concerns that had nothing to do with the culture of 20-something undergrads all around her.  If I think about doing that now, myself, as a mid-40s mom I know I would get frustrated with my younger peers frequently!  But Paula did good work and seemed to get a lot of enjoyment out of being a student again, and had great relationships with several professors who related well with her.  I counted her one of my closer friends in studio, even though she wasn't there late at night, and we worked on a few projects as team members - I learned a LOT from her.  Plus I think she was happy to have completed that goal of getting her degree - she was very happy at graduation, I recall!

Sadly, and seriously get your hankies out now, Paula died of cancer several years after graduation.  oiko, no need to keep delaying if you truly feel finishing your degree would be meaningful for you.  Life's too short!

Jun 5, 12 11:52 am  · 
 · 

peter salter went back to school when he was 40 or so, or so the story goes anyway.  since you mention part II i assume you are talking UK education, so I use his example.  He went on to do quite well although more as academic than builder of buildings.  still, it is not too late and not unreasonable.

you might find it hard to start at the bottom of the ladder and work your way up, but it will be necessary to work in an office to get part III.  the idea floated around above that it is all about dedication and sacrifice is over the top, but there is some truth to it.  architecture jobs can easily eat time.  that is also a bit hard to stomach for people who are older and know what they want from life more clearly...

opening own office is a different story.  most likely your friends are now old enough to be needing real architects, so your network is better than most of the young graduates out there.  that is important since having an office is mostly about finding work.  the design side is not as hard as long as you can take care of that.  it is not an easy thing though.

Jun 5, 12 12:16 pm  · 
 · 
oiko

Very useful and interesting comments to reflect upon. Thank you.

Jun 5, 12 6:49 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: