Archinect
anchor

What are the best schools for architecture?

manoverde84

Why are architecture schools never ranked in US News?

What are considered the Ivies of architecture schools? The top ten.

May 27, 12 10:05 am
mdler

this aught to be fun...most Ivies have architecture schools, BTW

May 27, 12 2:52 pm  · 
 · 
LITS4FormZ

The only rankings that matter are from Dr. Garry. Follow his ranking system and you're guaranteed a high paying job, little to no post-grad debt and a successful career. If you don't go to a highly ranked school then you're just doomed to be a cad monkey/bim baboon for eternity. 

http://www.archsoc.com/kcas/researchschool4.html

US News should stick to MBA, JD and MD rankings anyways.

May 27, 12 3:14 pm  · 
 · 
manoverde84

I'm surprised SCI-Arch isn't listed. I assumed it was one of the best in the nation, no?

May 27, 12 4:21 pm  · 
 · 
Ersatz

manoverde84, take heed, that post was said with sarcasm.   I don't think people take that list seriously based on his criteria of judging, as mentioned previously on other threads I think.  so that post was said in fun

May 27, 12 5:04 pm  · 
 · 
manoverde84

Ok, but is Sci-Arch well regarded? I was planning on applying. There and UCLA

May 27, 12 5:36 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

depends on what you want to do. If you want to practice, go to Cincinnati. If you want to sit around and talk about architecture and blow smoke up peoples asses, go to SCI-Arch

May 27, 12 8:06 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

and if you want to feel more important that you really are, go to GSD

May 27, 12 8:06 pm  · 
 · 
LITS4FormZ

Mdler is dead on, go Bearcats!

May 27, 12 10:13 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

wait, so where do i go if i want to have smoke blown up my ass??

May 27, 12 11:07 pm  · 
 · 
manoverde84

What about UCLA?

May 28, 12 12:03 am  · 
 · 
architect1986

US Graduate Schools:

Page 2 has the rankings.

http://archrecord.construction.com/features/Americas_Best_Architecture_Schools/2012/schools-1.asp

http://www.archdaily.com/182283/2012-united-states-best-architecture-schools/

World Graduate Schools:

http://www.graduatearchitecture.com/ARCHSCHOOLS/archschools_en.html

You cant hold these as absolute truth, cause these lists are pretty controversial, and it really depends on what you want to get into.  You wouldn't go to SCI-Arc with the hopes of doing home renovations some day, just like you wouldn't go to Kansas State to become a Professor some day. Most of the schools on these lists will have some pretty solid Profs to learn from though, and one of the main reasons the schools jump around the list so much is because one year a school can gain a bunch of good faculty, and a few years later they leave for another school.  So i suggest to look at people who are on your radar and that interest you and see where they are and more importantly where they are going to be by the time you decide to go.

Good Luck!

May 28, 12 12:48 am  · 
 · 
jonesjeffum

I am very skeptical of lists and rankings. You really need to find your best fit. Personally I really don't like SCI-Arc. This is my list of the 10 most "prestigious***" graduate schools (alphabetical order):

Cal Berkeley, Columbia, Harvard, Michigan, MIT, Penn,  Princeton, UCLA, Virginia, Yale

Note that Cornell only recently started its graduate school. There are many other good schools some have stronger undergraduate programs than graduate ones.

***prestigious doesn't necessarily mean good

May 28, 12 11:57 am  · 
 · 
ted011

Cal Poly SLO, USC, and University of Oregon for undergrad? How would you guys rate them in terms of being able to be a competitive graduate and being able to get a good internship after school? Are they good schools to have on your resume throughout your career?

May 28, 12 3:51 pm  · 
 · 
ted011

Oh and Pratt...

May 28, 12 4:05 pm  · 
 · 
philippesanama

What about Cal Poly Pomona ? Is it a good one ?

Apr 13, 17 8:20 pm  · 
 · 
Leon_ordaz03

Ya'll need to do some research. If you do not know what you want to get involved with, then how do you know what school to apply for? Who are the professors that are gonna help you achieve your goal? Where do you want to achieve your goals and why there? Question everything man...

Apr 14, 17 9:29 am  · 
 · 
s=r*(theta)

Real questions is do you have what it takes to be a good architect. School is like makeup, it will only enhance what you already have otherwise thats like saying if shia lebeouf goes to patriots training camp he will emerge a great quarterback

Apr 14, 17 12:08 pm  · 
 · 
Driko

schools are shit. 

#1 youtube + archinect for reviews + local wood shop.

your welcome 

Apr 14, 17 2:14 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: