Archinect
anchor

How similar are BIG and Patrick Schumacher?

metal

Schumacher polishes himself as an avant-garde intellectual, next in line to Zaha's throne. He is about communication and systems. There is something serious about his presence, yet still interesting. Like someone we can resent for their penetrating analysis.

BIG is pragmatic, photogentic, and makes his ideas clear and simple. He comes off as friendly. He is in some ways a more cheerful version of Schumacher, even when he embraces topics like sustainability, which I don't think Schumacher touches

One of their differences is when Schumacher tries to deliver a theoretical framework for everyone. He adamantly says, "this is the next big thing" while BIG says "this is just how things evolve". Yet I can't help but think that these two have some things in common, especially when they both rely on parametrics. 

It would be fun to see Schumacher go off on his own one day, and have a talk with BIG.

May 15, 12 11:38 pm
accesskb

Big builds... Shumacher talks.  you choose.

May 28, 12 7:32 pm  · 
 · 
ciao

BIG's talking masks a shallow process which helps him get commissions. He doesn't necessarily *build more.

May 28, 12 8:47 pm  · 
 · 
PradaTransformer

BIG's process is not shallow- get to know north european protestant values and his thinking will become a lot more clear to you. 

it's about actually making good things happen, without the elitist aura of 'i know better' and 'you can't understand'.

it's about engaging with society.

May 29, 12 1:19 am  · 
 · 
l3wis

prada, his design process IS relatively shallow—or simple. same thing. we've all heard him present his work. that's not necessarily a bad thing... if his firm produces beautiful, useful architecture via it.

however, it is certainly unpretentious, and free of bullshit. and i agree that it is very engaging work. i like a lot of it.

where are you pulling the 'north european protestant values' thing from? are you claiming that bjarke is influenced by lutheran tradition? despite the vast number of churches in DK, and northern europe, society in these areas is by and large extremely ambivalent towards religious ideology and values.

May 29, 12 9:58 am  · 
 · 
a-f

I think Prada more refers to the idea of the pragmatic "work ethic" of protestant belief - finding one's purpose in life through conducting good work. It's a common way for northern europeans (myself included) to pat themselves on their own backs, but I'm not sure if it is completely true. Probably it has more to do with the background of the society in agriculture and a relatively weak noble class. 

Having said that, I'm ambivalent if BIG's work is really that pragmatic though.

May 29, 12 10:46 am  · 
 · 
l3wis

a-f,

i believe strong work ethic is very closely tied to protestantism. look no further than america as the best example of this relationship.

i don't follow what 'life-purpose through work' has to do with Bjarke's design process. that is a personal (not creative) creed.

May 29, 12 11:43 am  · 
 · 
a-f

I was just trying to explain what I think Prada meant: that BIG has a pragmatic attitude which is historically rooted in a protestant idea of hard work (supposedly for a public good) leading to personal salvation. Of course this doesn't mean Bjarke is religious, only that history leaves layers in society, which influence us.

May 29, 12 11:59 am  · 
 · 
l3wis

all right. but that is not a protestant idea (protestant theology espouses personal salvation by grace, not work).

May 29, 12 1:42 pm  · 
 · 
TIQM

Ingels seems genuinely focused on designing buildings that make people's lives better.  I see his work springing from a profound optimism and humanism. 

Whatever the design agenda of Schumacher and Hadid is, a nurturing humanism is about as far from it as you can get.

May 29, 12 9:10 pm  · 
 · 
aphorismal

I think for Bjarke, architecture is a means.  For Schumacher, its an end.  Unfortunately, or maybe very fortunately, Western culture doesn't really see building as an end unto itself; I think the OMA grandkids might be some of the first to fully grasp the meaning of this (or at least the first to get credit for grasping said meaning).

Also, totally unrelated, but I think you're officially a bonafide starchitect when other architects prefer to call you by your first name (Zaha, Frank, Rem, Bjarke).  Saying "Ingels" just feels so weird...

May 30, 12 1:28 am  · 
 · 

Bjarke Ingels has brought infomercial salesmanship to architecture.  I swear to god the first time I saw him was at 3am in the morning while staring the the TV like a zombie.

Genius, yo!

May 30, 12 10:32 am  · 
 · 

EKE, I love your comment.  Bjarke is wildly optimistic.  

May 30, 12 12:25 pm  · 
 · 
metal

BIG being more "human" sounds like a false morality.
I get the feeling of being in a Mcdonlads when going through his website.
Yes he is optimistic, but I'm finding Schumacher's intellect and the lineage he comes from more interesting, it is missing some design elements BIG does though.

few more comparisons:

Schumacher/Hadid
*have more stark/dark buildings
*use less sunsets and more gray/neutral skies in their imagery
*less use of people in their renderings or publication photos
*their approach to urban design is sometimes influenced by modernism
*Schumacher has a slick haircut and suits up

BIG
*uses more sunsets, blue skies and greenery in his renderings
* sounds more optimistic/simpler
*lots of happy people
*urban design tends to be pedestrian friendly
*sports a casual haircut and a t-shirt

those 2 buildings especially show their differences. BIG is more rigorous in his diagramming, which helps him sequentially figure things out.

Sometimes for schumacher, the form doesn't evolve to its full potential.

May 30, 12 5:22 pm  · 
 · 
TIQM

How is "being more human" (i.e. consciously pursuing a humane agenda), a "false morality"?

May 30, 12 5:35 pm  · 
 · 
design

Because it lowers the level of discourse into a high school popularity contest.

May 30, 12 5:42 pm  · 
 · 
TIQM

So you believe that caring about people, and wanting your architecture to make the lives of people better is childish?

If you believe that shouldn't be a goal of serious architecture, what should the goals of serious architecture be?

May 30, 12 7:08 pm  · 
 · 
design

holier than thou
architecture is about the construction of knowledge. 

its narrow-minded to depend on morality as a basis for judging buildings.
Morality was debunked long ago, despite what you read from Krier.

May 30, 12 9:01 pm  · 
 · 

The construction of knowledge is great.  And knowledge is based in culture, and cultures grow through community, which is grounded in shared morality.

EKE, it's a useless effort with Since (or whatever nom du heure s/he is using).

May 30, 12 9:32 pm  · 
 · 
design

The "humaness" of BIG isn't specific enough. Saying that Schumacher isn't humane makes things into a balck and white argument.

Spend some time in Guangzhou Opera House and its evident EKE's comment is quasi-religious.

May 30, 12 10:01 pm  · 
 · 

I trust the severe leaking and the acoustic issues have been addressed?

May 30, 12 11:06 pm  · 
 · 
TIQM

Quasi-religious? What does that mean?

May 31, 12 3:11 am  · 
 · 
trace™

BIG's forms are basic, mostly predictable and boring, imho.  Tip of the hat to the success, but most of their projects look like one liners.

Schumacher has a rigor that is far more sophisticated (not necessarily better) and that is shown in his plans and forms.

May 31, 12 12:10 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

"Morality was debunked long ago" Humanism and morality are 2 different things.  If you don't design for people than who do you design for?   Seems like we are the only ones who need and desire architecture.  If you  seperate humans from architecture you consiquently seperated architecture  from all the things that make it architecture and you end up with a structure that can only be justified by perpetual archi-jargon.

May 31, 12 4:07 pm  · 
 · 
design

leap-oh-logic jluddite at it again.

May 31, 12 4:11 pm  · 
 · 
OneLostArchitect

Who has the bigger DK?

May 31, 12 4:52 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

since, name one "building" that you like.  Why do you like it?   simple questions but for some reason I think that you will have a difficult time with the answer. 

May 31, 12 5:56 pm  · 
 · 

It will take time to enter all the data in order for the computer to tell him what to like..jk

May 31, 12 6:24 pm  · 
 · 
design

good one Kev made me and my computer laugh.

In a historical sense anything from Leonidov or Kahn. but my absolute favorite doesn't really exist.

people evolve...

Jun 1, 12 2:57 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: