Archinect
anchor

Lebbeus Wood in China

Maybe I am late on catching this but just learned that a 4 story pavilion designed by Lebbeus Woods is being built as part of giant mixed-use development by Steven Holl in China and which he is calling "his first permanent work".

Woods posted about it on his site last year while Architectural Record covered it more recently. 

He acknowledge himself the tension between his drawings, an experimental models/installations and this new space for consumer urbanism, "The space has been designed to expand the scope and depth of our experiences. That is its sole purpose, its only function". Yet, hopes that it might still indicate a "new type of space...between traditional architecture and the virtual environments of cyberspace...but in the Light Pavilion with more emphasis on the physical than the mental or the virtual."

There aren't that many comments over on the Architectural Record page but they are some good ones....

May 6, 12 1:58 pm

Some images;

An early sketch 

model(s)

under construction

May 7, 12 2:57 pm  · 
 · 

thoughts, nobody?

May 7, 12 4:55 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

I like woods' installation on its own - pretty interesting concept - but that holl building is a bit of a dud, and that location is removed - like this promise of interesting space but only for someone with access.  I dunno - I think we're all experiencing a bit of china fatigue - this proliferation of huge projects which are creating these alienating and oppressive modernist art-object landscapes at a vast scale.  I would expect a little more contextual commentary from Woods, but his somewhat apolitical stance is a bit disconcerting - may be due to expediency...

May 7, 12 5:32 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: