Archinect
anchor

Is there any future in Architecture???

No.  There is no future for architecture.  Not when we now have ordinary citizens designing perfect houses and its front page news on yahoo!

We are all doomed, yo!

May 10, 12 5:26 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

eh, he's a shit-head, i don't care how much money he has, or where he worked. i'll kick him right in the nuts if i see him.

May 11, 12 1:14 am  · 
 · 
cipyboy

the future of architecture? 

BRAD PITT- ARCHITECT SLASH ACTOR

May 11, 12 10:09 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

@b3tadine[sutures] 

hahaha. best comment of the day!

May 11, 12 11:01 am  · 
 · 
Paradox

The article says the house was designed by San Francisco architect Andrew Skurman while Martha Angus (the interior designer) helped O'Sullivan pick the furnishings and finishes. He just thought about how he and his future wife would use the house and decided how many bedrooms were needed etc. He just figured out small things like the closets, drawers, bins for kids' toys. Yes he oversaw both the design and the construction but that's what clients do, they watch the progress and tell the architect to do minor changes according to their needs because in the end it is THEM who will live in that building. It is not interior designers' duty to figure out how to arrange the toy bins and he is a very thoughtful man for thinking about his future family's possible needs.

Something tells me the hatred here stems from jealousy and insecurity. :))

May 11, 12 12:52 pm  · 
 · 
ARCHCareersGuide.com

Not the future of architecture, but does show the myriad of careers that an architectural graduate can pursue.

http://www.architectsuccess.com/2012/04/01/architecture-and-beyond-opportunities-abound-by-lee-w-waldrep-ph-d/

May 11, 12 11:05 pm  · 
 · 
chatter of clouds

that is, only if you have knowledge/experience in many of these listed carreers. an architect cannot just be a director or an animator or a mechanical engineer unless, in parallel to architecture - and not specifically owing to architecture- she or he has  the skills and talents required. similarly, you can't just be a "critic" unless you have a sharp acumen and, over a long time, acquired a lot of knowledge. you know, animators (And we're talking of proper animators here, who know much more than house fly-throughs or software - they have studied anatomy and motion, drawing to a very high level, storyboarding...etc) typically, nowadays go through a 3-5 year university program.

in short, many of these items on the list are not relevant to architects who have not developed sufficient skills in those areas outside the  core of architecture. 

May 12, 12 12:52 am  · 
 · 
elinor

So for some reason my Archinect app brought this thread up at the top of the list, even though i now realize it's quite old...

i have one comment for some of you who are wondering why it's so hard for you to find work...you have BS or BFA degrees.

These are non-professional degrees in a field that, um requires professional degrees in most areas of practice. Although that's not strictly true everywhere, many firms in competitive markets won't even look at you beyond an internship position. 

It's pretty sad that these degrees are offered to students who are probably too young to know better.  i think they really should be eliminated.  Would you be able to get a job as a doctor with a non-professional degree in a medical subject?  no, you'd probably be a paramedic, or something similar.

i don't mean to be harsh, because it's not your fault.  and in a better economy, there would probably be enough jobs floating around for you to get your foot in the door and work your way up through work experience.

but really, what the hell is a BFA in architecture??

May 24, 12 10:09 pm  · 
 · 
elinor

oops, wrong thread... :)

May 24, 12 10:10 pm  · 
 · 
elinor

double oops, this iS the thread I meant to post to...this app is damned confusing!

May 24, 12 10:12 pm  · 
 · 
backbay

really?  i've been told people consider them the same.

you learn almost the same exact thing in a BSArch as you would a BArch.  I did a 4+1, and I honestly don't see the +1 contributing that much to me being a professional (some more history, some more theory... no building science or structures though).  Architecture as a profession is learned on the job.  A BArch should be attainable in 4 years, and a college degree in architecture coupled with experience should be enough to take the test.  

Either that or the AIA should allow you to take classes that let you make up ONLY where you're deficient in silly criteria points.  Most people have to get a whole new degree, and thats just a dumb waste of time.

May 24, 12 11:07 pm  · 
 · 
backbay

and, sorry for the double post, but a license is met for the "safety and welfare" of the people we serve.  I don't see how my taking bonus classes (lets be honest, thats what they are) helps protect people any better.  i would sooner give a license to a guy with a BS and 20 years of experience over some kid that graduated 3 years ago if thats what it were really about.

May 24, 12 11:10 pm  · 
 · 
accesskb

Is your goal to become a STARCHITECT?  You're probably doomed if so.  Otherwise, there are millions of jobs in the architecture industry, anything from interior design to constructing facades to innovating the nuts and bolts, to installing new windows or building decks in a garden... If you don't want to be a CAD monkey, stop complaining and pick a job that interests you before someone gets that job too xD

May 25, 12 1:59 am  · 
 · 
cmrhm

Gregory you did a great post. Thanks.  As for the OP, my suggestion is looking for an opportunity to work abroad. This is the best way to learn and utilize your skills, in the meantime, you get a reasonable pay.

Jul 6, 12 3:29 am  · 
 · 
garethcooper9

There is a future in Architecture for sure but that does not mean that every guy who finished uni will become an architect. These two are completely different thigs

Jul 6, 12 6:09 am  · 
 · 
BEH5

HELLO AALGENISS

Actually I have a same problem as you.I graduated last year in architecture major from Iran and I am planning to immigrate to Canada next year.In the mean time,I wish to expand my qualification in an especial architectural field which will enable me to find an appropriate job later in Canada market.

I have some experiences in interior design, 3D modeling and AutoCAD but not in very professional way .In this regard, I do highly appreciate if someone advise me of the qualifications that I need to gain before coming to Canada. Is there any special software certificate or work experience in an specific field that you advise and can be helpful for me?

Await your kind feedback.

May 27, 13 4:20 am  · 
 · 
archigeniss

Hi BEH5:

I suggest you to start searching for the type of job you want, make a list of a least 10 or 15 similar jobs to the one you would like to be working. Take the skills of every job, look for the common ones within your list. In other words, look for the tendency, what is or are the skills those firms have in common. You could start there, it will give you a better perspective to what skills are required or mostly necessary to get the job you want. 

However, get those new skills will not be a guaranty to get the job, but will be part of the key plan to get a  job. In my personal case I've become full BIM, CAD, 3ds Max and Adobe CS 2-6 proficient, it's a tendency around here to be asked for architectural skills along with graphic design skills and I've not land my first architectural job. 

Good luck on your search and I hope this help you!

May 28, 13 7:46 am  · 
 · 
Megamind

It's so lucky I found this page. As a non-arch major undgrad student, I have been struggling deciding whether change the field of study into architecture by applying architecture graduate school. I am suggested to look into the future of being an architect, and I see many doubts yet many supports here. It's great to see how others share the same problem I have! Although it's a late comment, I still cannot help putting it up.

Jun 30, 13 8:06 am  · 
 · 
zonker

It's way too crowded - only room for the best and brightest top 2% - if you have any doubts about your ability stay or you will be tossed aside (try a year of unemployment and life savings lost) it's just not worth it  - think instead in terms of what it takes to be financially responsible - don 't go for long shots like architecture - pick engineering or computer science where there is high demand and a better ROI on career investmant

Jun 30, 13 3:17 pm  · 
 · 

Best and brightest doesn't have a thing to do with it.

Jun 30, 13 3:22 pm  · 
 · 
t3hbollardofd00m

It really just depends what you would like to do.

I had the same fears as you while in school but since working with safety bollards I have been able to find a decent balance of making money and enjoying my work life.

Go for it man we need more architects!

May 22, 15 12:10 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

^ probably the strangest spambot I've seen so far.

May 22, 15 12:27 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

wtf haha

May 22, 15 12:45 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Jla-x, I mean I wish I had a safety bollard while in school... that extra cash and sense of security would have been a god-send during final reviews.

May 22, 15 1:13 pm  · 
 · 

The Bollard of Doom is actually an excellent handle.

May 22, 15 2:58 pm  · 
 · 
StarchitectAlpha

Dude is no one going to tell him? OP your grammar is pretty bad, I'm assuming English is not your first language, you may be really talented but if an employer reads your cover letter and it reads like your comments on this site they aren't going to call you in. Have some one proof read your cover letters

May 22, 15 8:47 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

it's not my place to say, but i would allow thebollardofdoom to remain, despite being a spambot.  hopefully he will be able to find a few more appropriate threads to post in.

May 22, 15 9:25 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
Curt. I totally agree. Reading his post sure made me laugh.
May 23, 15 3:12 pm  · 
 · 
ArchNyen

Interesting trend. So where is everyone now after many years since this trend started? Have the OP (or anyone else) find himself a job in architecture or has he moved on to nuts and bolts detailing? computer science? moved to Canada? got his Master? improved his grammar and reapplied to other firms?

Fill us in, where are you now...

May 23, 15 5:45 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

can artificial intelligence really be that funny? bollard of doom!

...posting elsewhere this link shortly later

May 23, 15 9:46 pm  · 
 · 

... sheesh

May 24, 15 4:40 pm  · 
 · 
archigeniss

It's been three years since I started this thread and I can't believe after those three years last week someone decided to write something again... (ArchNyen) No, I have not moved to detailing nuts and bolts. My skills are at a higher level than that (maybe by the time I started this post they were).  No, I've not moved to computer science...LOL. Canada is too cold for me. By the time I started this thread, I wasn't even in the master program yet, because I was accepted in that summer. No, I haven't finished my master, but I almost there. My grammar has improved a lot, but it still not perfect (It is good enough to write specifications). I have learned couple of tricks since that, proofreading, revising, editing and the most important have a second set of eyes to check my work/writing. The architecture field has improved a lot since that and now there is a lot more jobs around (even when they keep asking for a lot of experience still). I'm working for architecture related firm  where I use a lot of my creative skills and not so much the technicals ones, which is great for my portfolio and experience. I work with a lot of architects around the country and I have received good feedback about my design skills and the technicals ones too. I've been blessed with my skills and hard work, because I get job offers very often to I pick and choose if I want to or need to. 

May 26, 15 11:09 am  · 
 · 
Sharonda

Of course there's a future in architecture! It won't be the architecture of today, but there will always be a need for people like us-designers with an eye for the culturally relevant aesthetic. There are still firms, studios and even individual designers ensuring the profession moves forward-although yes, an architect's ego is usually as inflated as their base price. I know if it weren't for innovative schemes like the Stephen Lawrence / Peter Morrison of RMJM scheme I wouldn't have broken into the profession at all

Sep 24, 15 6:51 am  · 
 · 
AdrianFGA

@Jefferson:

"I love that I am a licensed architect and still get to draw up the principal's designs in CAD and get to contribute nothing to the design process."

Roughly put, this is a fairly typical arrangement for architectural offices, in the sense that the (bulk of the) design is always performed by the principal (or the principal in charge of the design), while the rest of architects are acting either as drafters / detailers, or much more likely as PA's, who ensure the project is (ideally) completed in time, within budget, with no quality or legal issues and so forth. The PA's type of knowledge / skills is sort of a mix between that of a contractor, an economist, a lawyer, a manager, a communicator, etc, etc, all wrapped up within the personality of an efficient bureaucrat. A "designery" architect not only does not have the required personality / skill set, but would literally be a nuisance and a liability to everyone, should he/she acted as a PA, so, yes, there is little need for designers, other than those principals.

Jun 17, 16 3:46 pm  · 
 · 
mohitsharma

hey, am from Delhi, India

I have completed my graduation with 8 cgpa but am sitting at home from last 2 months.

architectural firms wants employee to be experienced. how could one get experience if no one wants a fresher to work for them. All those who got reference are stable and people with skills are sitting idle and trying every door step for job.

Jun 29, 16 4:20 pm  · 
 · 

A future in Architecture, requires according to dear old dad, at the very least two million dollars, and plan to lose at least one million in the practice of Architecture, so that you will still be invited to the proper social parties.

A secondary plan is to marry up, traditionally to a wealthy girl you have met in a proper Ivy league Architecture program.

I hope this advice is welcomed.

Jul 15, 16 9:58 am  · 
 · 
rkeytorchr

archigeniss-

I stumbled upon this post in a random fashion...

I have to be honest, when I read your first post... I was thinking to myself that you could sent out the best resume in the world, send an amazing portfolio, and a cover letter that didn't "flow well" AND, you would be doomed! Often, people (including me!) wrongfully assume someone is not qualified/intelligent by virtue of their written language skills; I say written because if you're in face-to-face conversation with someone... it is more than likely obvious that English isn't your native language (but, you are trying!). As far as written language errors, it is not obvious that you are non-native - and could signify "this person just does not care?!"

However, with that said... your written language has improved exponentially from earlier posts to most recent post.

I I had always wanted to become an architect since the age of five... it was a long, arduous process - many times asking myself "is this worth it?" but, nonetheless I persevered, and obtained my license to practice architecture in the state of Wisconsin (I possess a BSAS degree - a "non-professional degree").

I think the dreams that I had (which were probably dreams of many people on this site), were doing architecture that is 100% fun! But, the reality is... it is a job, and there are plenty of boring tasks that NEED to be accomplished as well...

It is great that you are getting to do the "fun" or creative stuff, but truly firms need to know that you can understand the technical aspects of a building (knowing how the pieces all "intertwine" together)... for me... I am definitely not an expert at detailing, but I have learned immensely since being in school (where I learned nothing of it!)

I enjoy your post!

Aug 31, 16 12:12 pm  · 
 · 
muayadnoor

I need job am an architect graduate in 2014 I founded job for one year contract with company after finished didn't find job the market goes down contracting companies shutdown so there is will be no benefits from the design if someone know job pls tell me I would thankful.

Dec 14, 16 7:39 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
^this is not how you look for employment.
Dec 14, 16 7:52 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

It obviously is, I'm going to try it.

JOB ME PLS.

Dec 14, 16 8:18 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

^I have a site visit this morning I'm too busy to attend.

How quickly can you make it here?

Dec 14, 16 8:40 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

Depends on your location, can you finish my site CDs?

Dec 14, 16 8:57 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Do you offer compensation in beer?

Dec 14, 16 8:58 am  · 
 · 

Is there any future in architecture? Apparently not in Pakistan.

May 17, 17 8:20 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Is there any future in Pakistan?

May 17, 17 8:26 am  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

More than Donald Duck's America.

Jul 12, 17 2:58 am  · 
 · 
Archiblogger

This profession is not what it used to be and for some of us it is probably too late to change. I'm a registered architect, I've been in the profession for over 20 years, have been through two bad recessions, and been made redundant half a dozen times in my career. At both high school and architecture school I was one of the top students with outstanding grades. I guess I could have become anything....a doctor, lawyer, engineer and would have been better rewarded for my efforts. This profession has not treated me well. The lack of good opportunities, low pay, long hours, stress, and job insecurity just suck!

Don't get me wrong, the subject of architecture is very interesting and the conceptual design is the fun bit of the job. However, a lot of the rest of the job is routine, stressful - as we often work to tight deadlines, and production orientated...almost as if you are a machine operator churning out drawings and information. The management side of the job has it's own problems - people expect you to know everything, and you will be blamed when things go wrong....which they often do!

In the early years of your career you will be optimistic, idealistic and full of energy. As you go through the ups and downs of life and this career you will soon realise that you could have made a better choice. You will see your friends / relations etc. who are your contemporaries or even younger than you, earning more money with great employment benefits, buying new and/or big houses and cars, and enjoying a better life than you while you are still struggling to just get by or improve your situation.

The big prestigious firms only employ the creme de la creme of the profession or those well connected, competition is fierce, and you will be very lucky if they even reply to your job application.

At the end of it all you will feel like you wasted your life and have been cheated. That's how I feel. I know I could have done better than this. People less intelligent / able than me, and working less hard are making more money than me. The equation doesn't work. Too much input for very little output. It's not fair and it sucks!

I wouldn't advise anybody to go into architecture as a profession. It's OK if you are independently wealthy but if you have to start from nothing you have to be very lucky to get far financially.

Jul 11, 17 11:16 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Sounds like you took a bad turn early on. What you describe is nothing like what I, and many of my colleagues, experience.

Jul 11, 17 1:04 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

so depressing.... Is the core issue compensation in comparison to peers?  

I make around 80k with 10 years exp. 

Many of my friends make +100k yet seem to truly hate their jobs (mostly law or engineering)

Jul 11, 17 12:43 pm  · 
 · 

Jul 11, 17 12:52 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

but it's tuesday

Jul 11, 17 12:57 pm  · 
 · 

shh, monday was just that bad for them it spilled over into tuesday

Jul 11, 17 12:58 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

My tuesday (or extended monday) is just great. Spent the first half on site watching the guys putting up 100lb masonry blocks in 30 degree heat. Then I retreated to my cooled office to a hot coffee.

Jul 11, 17 1:02 pm  · 
 · 

Americans are obsessed with money.

Jul 11, 17 1:01 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

not as much as feeling better/superior to their neighbour.

Jul 11, 17 1:03 pm  · 
 · 

Apparently money buys superiority ... or was it happiness?

Jul 11, 17 1:16 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

Americans love to buy stuff they don't need, but it's not their fault. remember Darrin from bewitched?

Jul 11, 17 1:22 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

Ontologically speaking ... heard that stupid archi-speak after a while

Jul 12, 17 3:04 am  · 
 · 
archi_dude

I believe Archblogger isn't saying that he wished he made more money but rather he wished he chose something that had better job security and that if you worked hard you were rewarded for your efforts. Seems he is just pointing out the obvious fact of how off the ratio of effort vs. compensation is in architecture. 

Jul 12, 17 12:29 am  · 
 · 

I see your point, but when Archiblogger says they've been made redundant half a dozen times in their career ... that's probably the bigger issue. When you're redundant the result is low wages and lack of job security because someone will always be willing to do it for less than you. The only way to stand out is to work harder or put in more effort than those around you, resulting in the ratio your talking about. Find a way to not be redundant and you'll be fine in this industry and the ratio will be more favorable (the same could be said for any industry really).

Jul 12, 17 1:14 pm  · 
 · 
Archiblogger

I didn't mention that I am from an ethnic minority. Most of my white classmates from university days are now in senior positions...associates, partners or directors. I've had mostly terrible jobs and terrible luck. Hence I am in the situation I am in now.

Jul 21, 17 12:34 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: