Archinect
anchor

Is there any future in Architecture???

May 2 '12 70 Last Comment
May 10, 12 5:26 pm

No.  There is no future for architecture.  Not when we now have ordinary citizens designing perfect houses and its front page news on yahoo!

We are all doomed, yo!

b3tadine[sutures]
May 11, 12 1:14 am

eh, he's a shit-head, i don't care how much money he has, or where he worked. i'll kick him right in the nuts if i see him.

harveyspecter
May 11, 12 10:09 am

the future of architecture? 

BRAD PITT- ARCHITECT SLASH ACTOR

jla-x
May 11, 12 11:01 am

@b3tadine[sutures] 

hahaha. best comment of the day!

Parad0xx86
May 11, 12 12:52 pm

The article says the house was designed by San Francisco architect Andrew Skurman while Martha Angus (the interior designer) helped O'Sullivan pick the furnishings and finishes. He just thought about how he and his future wife would use the house and decided how many bedrooms were needed etc. He just figured out small things like the closets, drawers, bins for kids' toys. Yes he oversaw both the design and the construction but that's what clients do, they watch the progress and tell the architect to do minor changes according to their needs because in the end it is THEM who will live in that building. It is not interior designers' duty to figure out how to arrange the toy bins and he is a very thoughtful man for thinking about his future family's possible needs.

Something tells me the hatred here stems from jealousy and insecurity. :))

Dr. Architecture
May 11, 12 11:05 pm

Not the future of architecture, but does show the myriad of careers that an architectural graduate can pursue.

http://www.architectsuccess.com/2012/04/01/architecture-and-beyond-opportunities-abound-by-lee-w-waldrep-ph-d/

t a m m u z
May 12, 12 12:52 am

that is, only if you have knowledge/experience in many of these listed carreers. an architect cannot just be a director or an animator or a mechanical engineer unless, in parallel to architecture - and not specifically owing to architecture- she or he has  the skills and talents required. similarly, you can't just be a "critic" unless you have a sharp acumen and, over a long time, acquired a lot of knowledge. you know, animators (And we're talking of proper animators here, who know much more than house fly-throughs or software - they have studied anatomy and motion, drawing to a very high level, storyboarding...etc) typically, nowadays go through a 3-5 year university program.

in short, many of these items on the list are not relevant to architects who have not developed sufficient skills in those areas outside the  core of architecture. 

elinor
May 24, 12 10:09 pm

So for some reason my Archinect app brought this thread up at the top of the list, even though i now realize it's quite old...

i have one comment for some of you who are wondering why it's so hard for you to find work...you have BS or BFA degrees.

These are non-professional degrees in a field that, um requires professional degrees in most areas of practice. Although that's not strictly true everywhere, many firms in competitive markets won't even look at you beyond an internship position. 

It's pretty sad that these degrees are offered to students who are probably too young to know better.  i think they really should be eliminated.  Would you be able to get a job as a doctor with a non-professional degree in a medical subject?  no, you'd probably be a paramedic, or something similar.

i don't mean to be harsh, because it's not your fault.  and in a better economy, there would probably be enough jobs floating around for you to get your foot in the door and work your way up through work experience.

but really, what the hell is a BFA in architecture??

elinor
May 24, 12 10:10 pm

oops, wrong thread... :)

elinor
May 24, 12 10:12 pm

double oops, this iS the thread I meant to post to...this app is damned confusing!

backbay
May 24, 12 11:07 pm

really?  i've been told people consider them the same.

you learn almost the same exact thing in a BSArch as you would a BArch.  I did a 4+1, and I honestly don't see the +1 contributing that much to me being a professional (some more history, some more theory... no building science or structures though).  Architecture as a profession is learned on the job.  A BArch should be attainable in 4 years, and a college degree in architecture coupled with experience should be enough to take the test.  

Either that or the AIA should allow you to take classes that let you make up ONLY where you're deficient in silly criteria points.  Most people have to get a whole new degree, and thats just a dumb waste of time.

backbay
May 24, 12 11:10 pm

and, sorry for the double post, but a license is met for the "safety and welfare" of the people we serve.  I don't see how my taking bonus classes (lets be honest, thats what they are) helps protect people any better.  i would sooner give a license to a guy with a BS and 20 years of experience over some kid that graduated 3 years ago if thats what it were really about.

accesskb
May 25, 12 1:59 am

Is your goal to become a STARCHITECT?  You're probably doomed if so.  Otherwise, there are millions of jobs in the architecture industry, anything from interior design to constructing facades to innovating the nuts and bolts, to installing new windows or building decks in a garden... If you don't want to be a CAD monkey, stop complaining and pick a job that interests you before someone gets that job too xD

cmrhm
Jul 6, 12 3:29 am

Gregory you did a great post. Thanks.  As for the OP, my suggestion is looking for an opportunity to work abroad. This is the best way to learn and utilize your skills, in the meantime, you get a reasonable pay.

garethcooper9
Jul 6, 12 6:09 am

There is a future in Architecture for sure but that does not mean that every guy who finished uni will become an architect. These two are completely different thigs

BEH5
May 27, 13 4:20 am

HELLO AALGENISS

Actually I have a same problem as you.I graduated last year in architecture major from Iran and I am planning to immigrate to Canada next year.In the mean time,I wish to expand my qualification in an especial architectural field which will enable me to find an appropriate job later in Canada market.

I have some experiences in interior design, 3D modeling and AutoCAD but not in very professional way .In this regard, I do highly appreciate if someone advise me of the qualifications that I need to gain before coming to Canada. Is there any special software certificate or work experience in an specific field that you advise and can be helpful for me?

Await your kind feedback.

archigeniss
May 28, 13 7:46 am

Hi BEH5:

I suggest you to start searching for the type of job you want, make a list of a least 10 or 15 similar jobs to the one you would like to be working. Take the skills of every job, look for the common ones within your list. In other words, look for the tendency, what is or are the skills those firms have in common. You could start there, it will give you a better perspective to what skills are required or mostly necessary to get the job you want. 

However, get those new skills will not be a guaranty to get the job, but will be part of the key plan to get a  job. In my personal case I've become full BIM, CAD, 3ds Max and Adobe CS 2-6 proficient, it's a tendency around here to be asked for architectural skills along with graphic design skills and I've not land my first architectural job. 

Good luck on your search and I hope this help you!

Megamind
Jun 30, 13 8:06 am

It's so lucky I found this page. As a non-arch major undgrad student, I have been struggling deciding whether change the field of study into architecture by applying architecture graduate school. I am suggested to look into the future of being an architect, and I see many doubts yet many supports here. It's great to see how others share the same problem I have! Although it's a late comment, I still cannot help putting it up.

Xenakis
Jun 30, 13 3:17 pm

It's way too crowded - only room for the best and brightest top 2% - if you have any doubts about your ability stay or you will be tossed aside (try a year of unemployment and life savings lost) it's just not worth it  - think instead in terms of what it takes to be financially responsible - don 't go for long shots like architecture - pick engineering or computer science where there is high demand and a better ROI on career investmant

Miles JaffeMiles Jaffe
Jun 30, 13 3:22 pm

Best and brightest doesn't have a thing to do with it.

• ×Search in:

Please wait... loading
Please wait... loading