Archinect
anchor

Done Undergrad, Portfolio Time - Redo or Revise?

cooldude1988

Hey you guys,

So i'm in a bit of a pickle, I'm done my undergrad and now I'm really trying to work on a portfolio for work experience, and hopefully would lend itself well to graduate school applications in the near future. 

I can just put the work that I did all these years in to a nice book, but i'm realizing the flaws that came out of critiques. I definitely do have time to revise, but some of them I might want to redo. I guess my concern is what do firms look for in fresh graduates in terms of the portfolio. I know each work should represent your acuity in your technical skills, but is there any grace or compassion with mistakes made in your design.

Also, would you consider putting projects that were partnered projects or would you revise it to your own (i.e. studio project done with a partner, partner did the renderings and photoshop...cause that's what he's good at....I plan to kinda redo it with the comments from our design review as well as do the renderings myself)

May 1, 12 12:04 am
cooldude1988

I guess i'm asking if it's worth redoing projects or it would be best to show what you did...good or bad. (in terms of looking for work)

May 1, 12 12:05 am  · 
 · 
kubo

A portfolio shouldn't be restricted to what you presented at the final review. To me, a portfolio should show accumulated knowledge and experience, thus it would be perfectly fine to retouch and revise a project. I am actually redoing my first undergraduate studio project. The same underlying design concept will be retained, so I will just be developing the model and revising the form+program the way I would design it if I were to be taking that studio now. I look at it like I am adding some depth to an old design, filling out certain details, and making up for some technical weaknesses I had back then (in terms of 3D modelling in Rhino).

I'm interested to hear what others have to say regarding this, particularly those in architecture firms as well as in the academic side. I've heard a couple of my professors advising students who had a promising project, but failed to deliver the goods, to "work on it further" for their portfolio so I guess it's fine.

The choice is between a portfolio that accurately shows your development through your 4-5 years at school (which may include a mediocre/bad project) or your work from school, but refined to show experience you've gained since the beginning of your academic career. To me, both would be acceptable but the latter would be preferable because it (probably) shows the best work.

May 1, 12 11:05 am  · 
 · 
archinet

kubo
I agree I just "jazzed up" a project that had loads of potential when I was in school but simply could not explore it properly and have it completed (it was a group project and I had to work on it alone). I did the project all by myself therefore it is accurate to my present skills. It has been working in terms of responses etc. I mention this during interviews and go through the process of how I arrived there thoroughly, I get positive responses about this.

As long as you are honest in your interviews it should not be a problem. Actually it shows your present skills more accurately.

May 1, 12 11:52 am  · 
 · 
l3wis

I've been intending to do this as well. I think it's necessary to clearly state that you revisited the project, and that these drawings were made recently (2012), etc.

May 2, 12 9:39 am  · 
 · 
bmpietras

I'm also debating the use of redoing projects. For example, I just "finished" a senior thesis but kind of hate the direction I ended up taking. Is it worth revisiting even if it means basically redoing the entire design? I have heard from others that the post-undergrad pre-grad time period should be spent doing everything you won't be able to do in grad school. But in terms of the portfolio itself (as a final product), it seems as though schools want you to show your abilities at the time of application, so revising would be a good idea. 

May 2, 12 7:20 pm  · 
 · 

I don't think there is anything wrong with redoing a few things. I tend to think that we see our mistakes and dwell on them when others probably wouldn't even notice. That being said, I would take a prioritized apporach. Identify those things that if changed will benefit you the most (like the glaringly obvious shortcomings of a project, etc.) and save the little detail type stuff for last (or not at all). I would be careful not to spend too much time redoing things just because you can or want to. I made a list myself of things I wanted to touch up or renderings I wanted to redo for my portfolio and I soon realized that I was biting off more than I could chew if it came down to getting my portfolio out there.

Worse case scenario, you don't redo enough and you get some feedback about your shortcomings in an interview. Then you come back to change those things.

May 2, 12 7:41 pm  · 
 · 
accesskb

nothing wrong with redoing studio projects in your portfolio... To be honest, personally, I seem to have learnt the most after each semester was over.  Maybe its just me, but during the studio term, everything seems so rushed and due to the pressure of deadlines, I often fail to grasp what a crit or prof might have tried to get across to me for better or worse.  Its usually at the end of each semester, when I have time to look back at my project, that I figure out what or where I could have done differently.  In the end, as long as you learnt something, that's all that matters.  Whether you completed a project during studio or on your own time, during your final year or first year, doesn't matter as long as you take away something important from each project

May 29, 12 11:54 pm  · 
 · 
3tk

Redo what you can, touch up projects that don't need an overhaul - no use presenting something that you're not completely happy with.  Final review is simply an arbitrary presentation deadline and not the end of a project.  I've finished models, redone drawings, etc to have a more "complete" presentation set for my portfolio and award submissions.  Some of my professors were delighted to see that I cared enough to continue working.

Redoing images also allows you to create the images in the format you want for the portfolio (the layout controlling the images rather than available images controlling the layout) which gives you more flexibility in portfolio design.  As others mentioned it allows you to show case your current skill set as well, and presumably a more cohesive graphic touch.  Do prioritize what images need to be done for your portfolio as redoing everything can end up being too much.  Pick the few best projects to work on for work/grad school portfolios - leave the rest for your personal one.  Don't feel pressured to fix everything, being able to critique your own work ("if I were to take it further" or "if I were to revisit the project" "I would...") during an interview can show maturity and a willingness to learn that is appreciated.

Partner projects are fine to present - just be clear as to what you role was and if any images were done by another, give them credit.

Different employers expect different things from new graduates.  In general technical software skills (2D CAD, 3D CADD, adobe suite, sometimes BIM software like revit) are expected and a sense of graphic understanding.  Some will want more design, others more technical construction knowledge.  Look to their websites for some idea of what they do and cater to them (assuming you have a target "type" of firm).

good luck

May 30, 12 12:02 pm  · 
 · 
sidalfe1990

Hello, i finally found a post that has to do with some concerns i have. I am on the last year of my studies and currently trying to set my portfolio swell. But since i had some unexpected collaborations in some studios, i was wondering if i can do 2-3projects from zero, since i found their subject interesting showing in a portfolio. Would that be "acceptable"? [i just feel that i can show better work than that] And if its acceptable, do i have to mention tutor and collaborator name? Or is it better just to keep them like that?

thanks in advance

Apr 2, 15 12:33 pm  · 
 · 
natematt

You just need to be honest.

If you are starting the design over from scratch then it's yours, but it's no longer a school project. If you are reworking all of the drawings but the design is fundamentally the same, then you really need to mention that it was a collaboration, but you can obviously take credit for all of the output that you redid. You never have to mention the tutor/teacher if you don't want to.

Apr 2, 15 1:15 pm  · 
 · 
sidalfe1990

That's what i thought so, just wanted to be sure. Thanks for the fast response!

Apr 2, 15 1:24 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: