Archinect
anchor

Internship in Europe- your opinions?

pablic

Hi,

I'm in third year of my studies and I've decided to do an internship in some architectural office in Europe. I would receive scholarship from my University but it only would keep me alive and not starving for 3 months of internship (and it is going to be 6 months).

So the last month I have sent about 60 applications to the offices that I admire and to be honest I am a bit surprised that I have received almost 30 positive responds. And here the big problem starts.   As I've read previous posts about internships I already know that working for free even for the /star-architect's/ company is not a best choice ,so despite the fact that I love danish companies (like COBE ,We ...) I have automatically decided to give up those offers.

After the brainstorm I had written the aspects of my internship that I do care about.

1. I would love to learn something, generally the way of thinking about the space / to    admire someone who is experienced / to gain new skills in design.

2. To get the contacts - I mean that internship should open some future opportunities of working in other companies  ( does it means that the office should be well known?)

3. To achieve a monthly stipend that would at least cover partly my expenses 

---------------------------------------

Therefore I have separated my offers and now the dilemma arises.  I can do my internship at small practice (16 people working) in Amsterdam and getting paid about 400 euros per month  or  I can do my internship at big company - JDS architects (around 50 people)  in Copenhagen and getting paid almost two times more.  The question is where would I learn more ? At two of this offices there are 3-5 people working on one project. At the same time I don't want to be a /CAD-slave/ but I'd love to participate in the whole process. The other aspect - I think that in small office there are more chances to learn from someone who's the most experienced in the office (for example boss?).

I hope that someone is able to help me with the choice :) - I'm looking for opinions ,reviews of 'older' colleagues and I would appreciate any answer,clue.

thanks ! 

Apr 21, 12 2:40 pm
archict

personally id go for JDS. id boost my CV more during my internship years, and will look for the real experience in a smaller firm after i graduate. but it really depends on what your intention is. and congrats for the job offers

Apr 22, 12 6:56 am  · 
 · 
Gjalt

I don't know about Copenhagen. But Amsterdam is a really expensive city and 400 euro's by far won't be enough to get yourself an apartment or a studio.

Regarding experience. I'd go for the bigger firm in Copenhagen. This will look better on your CV and with more people around there are more people you can learn from.

Apr 22, 12 7:09 am  · 
 · 
H3ndrik

Copenhagen is more expensive than Amsterdam.

Also, JDS's main office is brussels so I dont know if that would factor into how much design learning you get to do.

Apr 22, 12 12:39 pm  · 
 · 
pablic

hi, 

thank you very much for your replies . 

H3ndrik are you sure that JDS main office is in brussels ? I have heard that the company is based in Copenhagen... strange.

I already know that Copenhagen is extremely expensive as I ve been living in Denmark for a while. Probably in Amsterdam food is cheaper. But the prices for room rent are more or less the same.

Archict thanks, probably you are right - maybe at the job market in the future it would be like this : the bigger, more famus company is in the CV the more chances I will have :)

Apr 22, 12 1:30 pm  · 
 · 

you sent 60 applications and received 30 positive answers? wow im jealous!

I sent 188 applications and got only 3 positive answers.

what is your secret?

Apr 26, 12 5:10 am  · 
 · 
nicolasmjlee

@pablic, congrats on all the positive answers! And yes, i believe JDS' main office is in Brussels, with Satellite offices in Copenhagen and Shanghai.

I am graduating this may with a B.Arch and have recently received several internship offers in young european firms. While I am very determined in working at one of these firms (BIG), the major problem I am facing is that, I am also doing a masters program (M.arch 2) in the coming fall. This means that I only have 3 months to intern, yet these firms are offering internships of at least 6 months. I am wondering what do people normally do? I have read somewhere in the forum where people would just agree to the 6 month internship and quit when they need to (after 3 months)? I appreciate any suggestions! Thanks in advance

Apr 26, 12 8:28 am  · 
 · 
PradaTransformer

JDS will open doors to other large and famous offices such as OMA, BIG, etc. 

May 1, 12 12:42 am  · 
 · 

Hi,

I'm about to obtain an internship in Denmark  and I need some information.

I would like to know about how much an intern (with 3-5 years of work experience) is paid in general and if an intern will work on certain areas depending on how they evaluate your profile (CAD drafting / renderings / 3d modeling / concept talks or you participate in all of the above). What can you tell me about the recruitment process for an intern?

Thanks

Jul 2, 12 3:30 am  · 
 · 
Lee Jinho

Hi, I'm a student studying in Korea. 

I am planning to do an internship in Europe just like you. In someway I really want to go to the BIG firm for CV, or even small firm for experience. Actually I don't care about the size of the firm. 

My question for you is that I don;t know many offices like you. I have a passion to apply more than 50 company but I have no idea where should I apply and how to contact company. If possible, can you tell me the companies you've applied? Or can anyone else help me?

My mail address is jjinppanglee@gmail.com

Thanks

Jul 2, 12 11:03 am  · 
 · 
accesskb

Leen: sure you can keep quite and just tell them that you can work 6 months but quit after 3 months, but do realize that it will look bad on your part and could possibly hinder yourself from every being hired by them again.

Jul 3, 12 7:41 pm  · 
 · 
updience

Updience is a young company with headquarter in Slovakia and with subsidiary in London UK. We are looking for Interns who can work with us in Poprad/Slovakia.

Field of Studies: Marketing, management, media, strategy marketing, project management, graphic designer

Tasks: Online communication, social media, articles marketing ideas,
Graphic tasks :creation of visual, interactive and multimedia designs, creating online marketing visuals - Graphic mails, online banners

Placement Duration: 3-6 months
Benefits: Fully furnished home for free of charge

Placement Period: From 09/2014

If you want to apply please send your CV at hr@updience.com or reach us via https://www.facebook.com/pages/updiencecom-Human-Resources-Zone/418351311573716?ref=hl

Aug 7, 14 3:42 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: