Archinect
anchor

archiCAD

reed b/w

I have used archiCAD as my primary drafting and modeling program for over three years.  I am a big fan of the program.  However, I am finding out that it may be less poular than I once thought.  Everyone's BIM default seems to be revit. 

I have a basic knowledge of revit, I know enough to be dangerous.  However, I'm wondering if there are some fellow archinecters that are fluent in each program.  How similar are they?  What are each program's strengths and weaknesses comparitively.  Also, will revitt eventually make archiCAD obsolete?

Thanks

Apr 19, 12 12:24 pm
gwharton

All BIM programs have the same basic logic to them, though the command structures differ. I've used both ArchiCAD and Revit (though primarily as a design tool, since I don't do CDs), and the differences between them are sort of like the differences between Spanish and Portugese: clearly different, but similar enough that if you're fluent in one you can get by in the other without a lot of difficulty while you learn its nuances. I find them far more similar than, say, Microstation and AutoCAD, but maybe that's because I use them in a specialized way (schematic design, mostly). Actually, I'd say that Revit is more similar to ArchiCAD than it is to AutoCAD, even though it's an AutoDesk (spits on ground) product.

Apr 19, 12 1:20 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

we're in same boat as gwharton. eventually, even revit will become obsolete. but if you are comfortable working in archicad, it's not going anywhere for a long time. it's a lot more common in europe (along w/ vectorworks).

Apr 19, 12 1:41 pm  · 
 · 
zonker

Holz.box - this begs the question - whats over the horizon that's going to replace Revit? - just researching this issue now to avoid ending up - "Well Tuck looks like we gotta let ya go this new ZYZ software is way over head my friend"

Apr 19, 12 2:45 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

i don't know - i just know that eventually, like all software, it will eventually be replaced by something better.

i imagine it will be replaced by some uber-connected, uber software that is not just utilized for all phases of design and evaluation, but construction management and building lifecycle management as well.

Apr 19, 12 3:04 pm  · 
 · 
blah

I used to use Archicad. Sold my license a few years back to an architect in Ireland. It's a great program but the network here in the USA is too small to leverage into any competitive advantages.

Apr 19, 12 3:18 pm  · 
 · 
gwharton

As for replacements for Revit, has anybody noticed how Google is slowly revamping Sketchup to move into parametric modeling? A quasi-parametric Sketchup would be a true Revit-killer.

Apr 20, 12 4:52 pm  · 
 · 
zonker

gwharton - just as i suspected - 2 months ago, they had an add for Architects with 1 - 3 years exp with Revit and sketchup - then again they could have been doing another routine TI to the Googleplex in Mountain View,Ca

Apr 20, 12 5:47 pm  · 
 · 
jcr

There is an extensive discussion on LINKEDIN, ArchiCAD Group, ArchiCAD vs. Revit. It will help you understand the pros & cons. It is more difficult to find work (in the U.S.) when your expertise is in ArchiCAD but if you find a job you want that uses ArchiCAD initially you will have a huge advantage, Good luck!

Apr 20, 12 9:41 pm  · 
 · 
I concur with the Spanish/Portugese analogy. The firm I'm with now uses ArchiCAD, and I was up and running in a day or so (with still learning tricks every now and then) due to my background in Revit. There are a couple of other firms in Chicago that use it, but it definitely is not common in the States. We are pretty prepared if we ever decide to work in Europe though.
Aug 31, 14 11:20 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: