Archinect
anchor

Grad School Admission with super low GPA?

sandiego

Most schools require minimum of 3.0. I would like to know what the chances are for me to get into any graduate school with a super low undergard GPA. If possible, which school should I try to apply to?

Or what other route can I take to gain admission?

Thank you for any suggestions.

Oct 3, 06 12:16 pm
Chili Davis

What exactly is super low??

Oct 3, 06 12:37 pm  · 
 · 
sandiego

I think the minimum GPA to graduate from college is 2.0

Oct 3, 06 12:43 pm  · 
 · 
two-headed boy

its case by case and dependent on the other portions of your application package. i had a 2.7 from undergrad and was accepted to some good schools: upenn, sciarc, pratt, waitlisted at ucla. Your portfolio and letters can offset your academic record if they are done well. You'll have a better shot if you apply to schools that you fit well with as opposed to trying to anticipate which schools are willing to accept a flunky :)
Some people advise to address the poor grades in the essay and possibly offer a reason for them (although I didn't).
Also, a good way to get passed the bad grade thing might be to show that you are very serious. Attending a career discovery or similiar program might give that impression.
good luck.

Oct 3, 06 12:56 pm  · 
 · 
Chili Davis

Would you wear the bare minimum amount of flair, or would you wear 37 pieces of flair like Bryan over there?

Oct 3, 06 1:08 pm  · 
 · 
Chili Davis

Seriously though, if you're just gettin by with a 2.0, I would seriously think about a change in career. Maybe something more respectable like a 2.8 would have a chance, but if you're coming out of undergrad with a 2.0, why even waste your or anyones time and money by going to grad school. It's obvious this isn't something you enjoy doing, so why don't you pick up the free press and find a job selling stoves at some appliance center??

Oct 3, 06 1:10 pm  · 
 · 
sandiego

I have regretted for not being serious enough to do well when I was in college. However, I was very fortunate to have the opportunity to pursuit my career in the field of architecture.
I am pleased with my current job, but always had this ambition to explore further in architectural design.
It is not my intention to waste money and anyone’s time; that is why I created this post in search of help.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Oct 3, 06 1:27 pm  · 
 · 
Chili Davis

Why don't you try taking one or two classes in your free time to make sure you want to go back to school. You may find that you have the same ambition now that you had during your undergrad. If you do find that you enjoy the classes, it is a good point to focus on, that you are serious about an architectural education and that you have done well in these classes. If not, keep selling refrigerators.

Oct 3, 06 1:35 pm  · 
 · 
kerfuffle

I know a few people who had sub 3.0 GPAs and went to places like the GSD, Penn, and RISD.

I think you really have to show that you are committed to graduate school and that your low-grades in undergrad do not reflect the person who is now applying to the program. That's why there are other parts to the application. if your statement and portfolio really resonate with the admissions committee, it won't matter so much that your grades were just average.

just my thoughts...

-to

Oct 3, 06 1:35 pm  · 
 · 
starrchitect

Im in the same boat, and would like some input from fellow archinecters. I graduated with a low GPA (2.3) from a top notch school (cooper union) 6+ years ago. If any one here went to cooper, then you know of the massive professor egos and dictatorial shinanigans that you must deal with. Im only 29, so I still have the energy and desire to attend school again.

However, since graduating, I've received my ARE license, and have been revamping my design portfolio the past few years. Does anyone think that this will offset my shitty GPA, and hopefully get me into an Ivy League school. I am hoping for Columbia or Yale. If not an Ivy school, then I dont really have much desire for a master's degreee. Any one care to give me their two cents. Thanks.

Oct 3, 06 1:55 pm  · 
 · 
Chili Davis

I think you should be more open about your choices here, chicarchitect. I don't think its the education you are after here. If you just want to tell people you went to Columbia or Yale then buy a sweatshirt and save some cash! If you're serious about advancing your education, you have to be practical and realize that with a 2.3 GPA you may not get in at your top 2 choices. If you really want that degree though, take a look at some other schools offering it. I'm sure if you take a deeper look into things you'll find you can get in at a great university. Why exactly do you want a masters anyway?

Oct 3, 06 2:02 pm  · 
 · 
mespellrong

take a post-grad year. many good schools have them and you can use it to show that you can get better grades. If you pick and choose carefully, you can also use it to place out of some stuff you might not want to take...

Oct 4, 06 9:00 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

here's what i would do...target a program that you are interested in. move to that city if necessary. take a couple of classes at the school, get good grades in them, then apply to the university.

Oct 4, 06 9:24 am  · 
 · 
starrchitect

But, does anyone think that since Im already a licensed architect and have a Cooper Union 5 year degree, Im just wasting time by going back for a master's?

My logic is that if I'm gonna blow 15g's a semester on school tuition, I might as well spend it at an Ivy. 15 g's to attend Pratt, or some 2nd tier state school like UIC, (out of state tuition), that will not impress clients, or bank loan officers, just seems ridiculous. Although Im sure UIC and Pratt have decent programs. Sci-Arc would be cool, but its the same tuition rate, and way the fuck out of ny.

Any thoughts? All opinions would be appreciated.

Oct 4, 06 11:10 am  · 
 · 
santa monica

If you're licensed, the main reason to go back for the MArch is to have the option to teach. My experience is that clients care less about your alma mater and more about the projects you've built.

Oct 4, 06 12:44 pm  · 
 · 

nothin' wrong with pratt. as discussed on another thread today, it's zumthor's alma mater.

i'd argue that, if you're looking to go back to school, know what you're going back for. what do you want to do with this additional education besides buy another line on your resume?

if you're going after something - have some drive to explore an idea, a preoccupation, a set of issues - it won't be a waste of your time and money. if you're just going to say you went, i'd recommend waiting for some more compelling reason to go.

i went back to school at 35 because i had learned enough in practice that there were things into which i wanted to dig deeper and going back to school was the only way to have the focused time necessary.

Oct 4, 06 12:56 pm  · 
 · 
sandiego

vado retro, would the school allow you to take classes even you are not registered?

Oct 4, 06 7:04 pm  · 
 · 
oe

My gpa is embarrasingly low. Im sure it will fuck me down the road. Its absolutely crippling, but I just cant bring myself to do nitpicky crap or even care about procedural bullshit that doesnt dirrectly benefit my mind. I just cant convince myself its worth my time for very long, and most of my professors take it really personally because I do really good work when I care. I was a spoiled little bitch in school. Pride is a motherfucker.

Oct 8, 06 3:31 pm  · 
 · 
punky_brewster

a low GPA can be offset by a huge GRE score, admission boards understand a change in focus of students, and if you can prove you 'can' focus to get a high GRE #, they'll take you more serious. if you, however, don't study and get a poor GRE score, it's not likely you'll get in to many schools. masters programs are professional programs for serious students, and they expect high standards.

Oct 8, 06 4:39 pm  · 
 · 
binary

i walked into cranbrook with my protfolio and said here it is...... they accepted me on the spot and didnt really care about the rest since they seen my work....so i guess it's all about the school.... gpa's are one thing..portfolios are the other....... i would tend to believe that a port shows more about a person than a gpa

?

Oct 8, 06 5:00 pm  · 
 · 

237amdotcom, you are my new hero...

Oct 8, 06 5:19 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

most colleges have continuing ed classes that you could take

Oct 8, 06 5:32 pm  · 
 · 
binary

pixel.... why you say that?.... are you trying to get into cranbrook?.... i have my foot in the door but trying to raise money to attend..... i really dont want to do finacial aid again....

b

Oct 8, 06 6:20 pm  · 
 · 
TED

chicarchitect - if i was on a review committe i would not only give you a place but would give you full scholarship -- dont worry -- i could name some folks that are regulars on archinect that were not great students or infact didnt finish - you want to go - they will see the passion -- hit it that way and ignore the numbers -
your TED

Oct 8, 06 6:28 pm  · 
 · 

Cranbrook is high on my list if not at the top for when I do grad school in a couple years. Just a matter of if I can get in or not...

Oct 9, 06 7:24 pm  · 
 · 
SATX

Sorry for bringing back a 7 year-old thread.

But some classmates and I are concerned about our low-gpa's coming from BS in Architecture. My GPA is about 2.7 and was considering some of the more well-known architecture schools. I am a senior now. But, I have been contemplating applying to graduate school soon. My portfolio is progressing and I haven't even thought about the GRE yet. My safety school is SCI-ARC. How far am I from Columbia or Princeton? Other schools (Pratt, Northeastern, UCLA, etc).

Oct 8, 13 8:45 pm  · 
 · 
On the fence

I think the key would be to take a few courses, one or two per semester and over summer.  Hammer out A's.  Then apply to a school showing that you have in deed changed the way you view school and studying.  They will want to see that you actually did mature and not some promise from you that you did.

Oct 11, 13 2:30 pm  · 
 · 
ACPT

Similar situation here, 2.89 GPA (3rd in the graduating batch with the topper at 3.08) - my school is known to dole out low GPAs, or so i've been told. But the last 60 credits is about 3.42. How does one make these points stand out before they toss my app in the garbage :S. In the application of some of these univs the GPA is right outside the degree information page(?) That just seems harsh. Suggestions to my grievances would be most appreciated :) Thank you.

Oct 11, 13 3:43 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: