Archinect
anchor

Help: UT Austin vs. UT Arlington

StaticSocks

I was accepted to both the UT Arlington and UT Austin M.Arch II programs and now I'm having trouble deciding where to go. The obvious answer would be UT Austin (high rankings, more prestigious), but my financial situation is tough.

I received a full ride to UT Arlington plus a significant stipend that would basically make living/food expenses nonexistent. UT Austin has not sent out financial aid letters but will do so early this week; I'm not holding out hope that I'll receive a scholarship from Austin. I visited both schools and I fell in love with UT Austin. The faculty, the school, the students, and the city all had me hooked. UT Arlington just didn't excite me...it felt like my undergraduate degree all over again.

Here's my main question: Is a graduate degree in architecture worth going into debt?

I'm trying to think long-term with my graduate degree. Will either school give me a head start in the job market? Or are both schools equal if the student works hard and puts in the effort for job applications? Is the UTSOA so much better for my education that it's worth going into debt for...or am I just an idiot for taking on loans when a full-ride is available at another school?

My heart tells me to go with UT Austin, but my head says UT Arlington.

Does anyone have an opinion on either school? I'm tired of hearing people say that UT Austin is a "bargain" school. Sure it is, when you compare it to a Harvard price tag. But I just don't have $20,000 a year to throw around (living expenses plus tuition).  Is the UT Austin really worth the money or should I just go to a school that doesn't excite me for free, get my degree, and get out?

If you have opinions on either schools, please voice them!  I've read through the posts on both schools but none of them really cover what happens post-grad school.  Again, just trying to think of where my graduate degree will take me.

Apr 8, 12 1:21 am
drums please, Fab?

follow your head

Apr 8, 12 12:04 pm  · 
 · 
LITS4FormZ

Is UT a better school? Yes. Are you more likely to get an interview immediately after graduation with a degree from UT over UT Arlington? No.

I've worked with grads from both programs, all competent architects and no one cares where they went to school once you've established yourself in practice.   

Apr 8, 12 12:11 pm  · 
 · 
The Arquitektonix

@LITS4FormZ - Amen, brother, amen.  Probably one of the smartest answers I've read. I've actually tried to make the same point myself on an earlier post, but I feel people are too caught up in the "name game" to listen. 

Apr 8, 12 12:51 pm  · 
 · 
soali

I did my undergrad at UTA... couldn't stand it so I switched out of the architecture program and got a B.A. and now just got into a bunch of graduate schools around the county. This is my personal opinion but, the undergraduate program has some good professors in the last year or so, but the rest of them are old and bitter. And I hear that gradschool is a lot worse. If I were you I would avoid UTA. Where did you get your undergrad at? If you're in-state, UT is a bargain for the quality. My friends and I had to work our asses off to get in to grad programs far away from UTA. 

If you're looking for a quality program, go to UT. These professional guys might say differently but UTA isn't worth 2 years of your life even if it is free. You're better off spending those two years working and gaining experience.

Apr 8, 12 3:11 pm  · 
 · 

Wait... if you are going for an M.Arch II then you dont "need" to go to school at all. If you are, you should make sure you are going somewhere that can help you with your goals and plans in life. (I really hope I dont offend any UTA people here) As an architecture student at University of Houston, we would never take UTA's program very seriously. I wouldn't go there. UT on the other hand is a fantastic program and also much more reputable on the global scale. Of course all of this depends on what you want, and where you want to be post graduation. And any dedicated student can do great things in any institution. 

But if it were me, I would go to UT, or not go to grad school. 

Apr 8, 12 5:42 pm  · 
 · 
LITS4FormZ

Appreciate the response The Arquitektonix. The level of academic hubris this time of year is sickening. Your client is going to care more about your ability to talk college football than what your piece paper on the wall says. "Bad" schools can turn out successful architects just as "great" schools can turn out graduates who will struggle. Everyone is going to have an opinion, if you have the means go visit both of the schools! There is no better substitute than actually sitting down and talking with future professors. 

FYI, not all University of Houston graduates look down on other schools, except maybe Rice.  

Apr 8, 12 8:44 pm  · 
 · 
Acrophony

Staticsocks-- Ralph Hawkins, CEO of HKS Inc., is a graduate of UTA's architecture program. Obviously he's respected enough by his peers in the industry to lead a team of 900+ designers, engineers, and support staff at one of the largest commercial architecture firms in the U.S.

Apr 11, 12 5:48 pm  · 
 · 
idiotwind

UTA undergrad = very good

UTA grad = poor

Apr 12, 12 12:44 am  · 
 · 
jamesherm

I completely agree with idiotwind. Having experienced both graduate programs, I can tell you that UTA is an utter waste of time, even if it is free. I wrote a post detailing many of the problems of UTA's program about a year ago; I'd be happy to find it for you if you'd like.

The critical one, though, is that the graduate program accepts anyone that applies, so many graduate students are only there because they were rejected from every other school. You will find very few fellow students that will give you any valuable feedback at all.

The undergraduate program is excellent however, and many of its students go on to pursue master's degrees at Harvard, Columbia, MIT, etc. The faculty and administration just do not take the graduate programs seriously at all.

Apr 14, 12 9:16 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: