Archinect
anchor

M.Arch in Pratt/Parsons

berkay

hey there,
I have been reading the discussions on Pratt's and Parson's architecture program but they
seemed to be quite outdated. I have been accepted to both for the upcoming fall M.Arch program. I wonder if anyone have an idea about their recent conditions.

I personally am searching an education mostly based on social and environmental issues having a technical bases as well. Both their programs seems very much theoretical but what parsons is doing during the few years seems really interesting; The comprehensive studio and the design workshop.

All of my tutors are directing me to Pratt but I am concerned if Pratt would have a similar program to that of parsons or is it only using New York as a thinking laboratory?

I visited both the locations and parsons seem much appealing

Also am concerned about the alumni, connections and other working opportunities after graduation. It sound as if Pratt would seem stronger on my resume...
I am currently an ug interior architect student,

would appreciate if any one is interested

Apr 27, 11 2:04 pm
barefoot

Hi there, 

I'll be going to Parsons for the Fall. The main reason being the social and environmental approach to the program. I dont know much about Pratt but went there for a visit couple of years ago thought why not visit a school Peter Zumthor went to. I spoke to the students who pretty much told me if you're interested in Zumthor, dont come here- that pretty much did it for me. It seemed extremely digital. I also received acceptance to Penn, but for similar reasons rejected the admissions, however, all of my profs, friends etc had recommended me to go there. I think the decision is really yours as you know yourself much better than others so decide based on your interest. 

Apr 28, 11 1:17 pm  · 
 · 
cartj391

Hi folks,

I am a current student at Parsons, one year from completing both the M.Arch degree and the MFA in Architectural Lighting Design.  I gather Pratt has a fine reputation, though I really don't know much about the program (but I know enough to agree with Barefoot's findings that Zumthor would likely not fit in there now!). 

Although I was initially planning to go to UC Berkeley, a visit to Parsons promptly changed my mind.  The tight working relationship with professors who take both professional practice and academic research seriously was important to me.  Also, the diversity of the students-- in terms of both cultural and educational/skill backgrounds-- is just amazing.  As for tools, at Parsons we m-a-k-e stuff.  There is plenty of computer work, but the curriculum really isn't insistent on any one particular work flow or software, just an emphasis on using a variety of methods and experimenting meaningfully. 

The last thing I'll add is that cross-disciplinary approaches are very real here.  I am writing while sitting within a group of architect students working on a studio project in southern India, immediately to my left is an interior design student (getting one-on-one time with one of our well-known faculty), and across from me are lighting design students working on daylighting models big enough for me to sleep in.  I hope some of this helps! 

Apr 28, 11 4:44 pm  · 
 · 
berkay

Zumthor was actually the dominant reason ive applied to Pratt.

What really important for me was creating something not only using computer media
but expressing your ideas using any possible media available around you.

Cartj, just curious have you had any experience with any of the design workshops yet?
thank you guys both, it is possible that I see you next semester,

Apr 28, 11 5:30 pm  · 
 · 
cartj391

I did the Integrated Studio last semester, which engaged an amazingly complex site on Newtown Creek.  The Solar Decathlon design/build project and a Design Workshop in Highbridge Park are currently underway (and seem excellent), though I chose to focus on a project in India.  While New York is definitely our "lab" at Parsons, I wanted to get some experience designing for hot/humid climates which are really tough.  Personally, I've already done a ton of construction work before entering Parsons (backgrounds in guitarbuilding and home construction), so I've pursued other paths.  That's the beauty of this place, so many good ways to go.  Even though I chose not to do the Design Workshop, it was really important to me that Parsons has that at the core of its program, it's very much the spirit of this place!

Apr 28, 11 6:20 pm  · 
 · 
barefoot

Hey Cartj, borky..

Great! I am a huge follower of Zumthor, Samuel Mockbee etc.. and had been dying for a program in design build. I also can't stand being confined to just architecture so hoping I can explore the multi-disciplinary approach more.. Great to hear about the India studio- I've been working in Nepal for a couple of years now..  

I'll actually be going into the 2 yr program coming fall and really excited to start making! Btw.. I love their splash house project - to be completed this year? http://sce.parsons.edu/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/DESIGN-WORKSHOP-2011-Press-Package.pdf

Thanks for the insights Cartj.. Hope to see you guys in 4 mths.

Apr 28, 11 6:20 pm  · 
 · 
golgol

Hi everyone!
I have a bachelor degree in architecture and a MFA in lighting design from spain. I am already working as a lighting designer but I think I need to get back to school inorder to find the connection between architecture and lighting alot more than what I am experiencing now.
What do you think about Parson's dual degree(M.Arch and Mfa in Lighting design)?? can I see your portfolio to get an idea of the expectations they have?
Thank you very much

Mar 23, 12 3:01 pm  · 
 · 
astew426

@barefoot:

How did you like year one at Parsons? Were you able to explore the social and environmental aspects of design, as you wrote in your first post? Any thoughts on your experience thus far would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Apr 5, 12 7:56 pm  · 
 · 
fiormz

Hello!

Sorry for reviving this thread, I am interested in pursuing Parson's dual degree (Lighting Design MFA / M.Arch) and was wondering if anyone taking it could help me get a general idea of it in terms of how the curriculum works, projects, and most of all the overall cost of it after graduating (how much is the total loan? If its 4 years does it mean that I'd have to pay almost $22,000 every year for a grand total of almost $250K?)  and if there are job opportunities after graduation?

Any help at all is welcome and greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Jan 8, 15 10:49 pm  · 
 · 
tomahawks_619

Hi so Pratt is very digital oriented and extremely parametric. In other words if you like the work of sci arc its basically what idealogy we follow . The teachers are extremely helpful and almost all of them worked in big firms or owns their firms

Most of the first year studio is spent learning heavy duty digital programs mostly Maya/Grasshopper and Rhino, Eventually we branch out into more advance software and its very abstract . A lot of emphasis is put on digital over hand drawings . ( I believe we never hand draw in this school except for very few instances ) How ever pratt is in Brooklyn and its quite the different field than Parsons

For parsons well its more focused in urban context and yes they really dont emphasize any specific program cause they aren't very form focused like pratt. You could steer your years in a manner to be more digital but the school itself doesn't have any agenda when it comes to digital programs . 

Both the schools are great and a lot of the teachers from pratt teach in parsons and vice versa. 

Good luck 

Pratt = Digital

Parsons = Urban focused

Parsons UG / Pratt Grad

Jan 9, 15 11:35 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: