Archinect
anchor

Revit Tutor Recommendations in LA?

101W101

Hello,

I am looking for a Revit tutor to help me learn the program ASAP.  I am a recent graduate from a MArch program and want to learn the software while I search for a job.  

Does anyone have any recommendations on how to find a tutor in the greater LA area?  

Thank you!

Apr 2, 12 3:24 pm
CrazyHouseCat

Just a word of caution...  There are too many people claiming such capabilities now a days. 

It will be better if this trainer has actual and current working experience in Revit from architectural firm(s), and is referred by people you trust.

Also, the amount of training you'll receive in the (hopefully) short duration you are looking for work, won't make you an advanced Revit user.  If you've not had actual working experience in Revit, it will be hard / almost impossible for Revit skills to be your "selling point".

Firms will mostly likely accept beginner level / general Revit skills if you exhibit strong commitment, great attitude, and desire and ability to learn.

Apr 2, 12 5:28 pm  · 
 · 
Narddog

I wasn't going to comment at first but I have to agree with the above....

Putting Revit in your resume skills or even claiming to "know it" during an interview will most likely not cut it. I applaud your efforts for jumping on the commercial bandwagon and trying to learn the mainstream Revit but again that simply isn't enough. Firms will prefer individuals with Revit experience and work examples.

With that said, however, may I suggest you post a listing in Craigslist in your respective location, in this case, Los Angeles and post the link to your posting here. You should mention what you are looking for in terms of hours, weekday tutoring or weekend tutoring, have software/don't, etc...

I would love to help you out but unfortunately I am not near you.

Apr 2, 12 5:42 pm  · 
 · 
101W101

Thank you for your feedback.  I am not looking for a resume boost necessarily.  I have had a few interviews and everyone asked about my Revit skills.  I want to go into a job with some knowledge under my belt.  I will feel more confident.

One another note, I am saddened that my MArch program didn't bother teaching the software through one of the required detailing courses.  I know of a person whose undergrad institution used their detailing course to teach Revit.  It seems like such a logical move.  Oh well. 

Thanks again for your help.  

Apr 2, 12 10:16 pm  · 
 · 
Narddog

I know what you mean....but it really goes back to the bigger debate about the "academic world" and the "pragmatic, realistic world." It's that same realization many students have coming right out of school with innocent ideas about architecture only to be shunned by reality. My point is while sometimes I wished my previous education has prepared me with more real-world applications (i.e. project management, using BIM software, etc.) I think it was good in the academic sense that I wasn't confined/limited to factors such as software like Revit. I feel like it limits you as a designer. However, with that said, I see more and more schools introducing Revit in different ways as side classes and I think that has potential.

Apr 3, 12 12:30 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: