Archinect
anchor

2012 M.Arch Applicants - Final Results, Decisions, Stats, etc.

phycon

23/Male/Asian

B.A. Architecture / UC Berkeley 2011

GPA: 3.4

GRE: V: 159 Q: 153 W: 4.0

3 letters of recommendation: 2 from studio professors and 1 from building science professor and graduate student instructor

Applied Six Schools.

In: Columbia (MSHP,MArch 3-year), WashU, USC, UCLA

Out: Harvard, Yale

Final Decision: Columbia GSAPP 

May 8, 12 5:00 pm  · 
 · 
jaded

- 26/F/Turkish

-BA Architecture 2009, 2,5 years practice at international offices.

- GRE v153 q 167 w 3.5

- TOEFL 101

-Fulbright Grantee

In: MIT ( half ride+10 K), Cornell (20 K), Pratt (+$), Cooper Union (full ride)

Out: Rice

I am going to MIT, my dream school for long years!

For Fulbrighters: If your correspondence is with IIE, please do not care their school choices and insist on where you want to go. I understand their proficiency in education, but they give wrong decisions too. For instance, I have been rejected many times  to put MIT in my school list with a repeating notice: Your scores are not competitive.

Eventually, I applied by myself and get accepted with scholarship!

For Cooper Union: During my interview, I was told that: " We prefer to take people who has presented their personal work, not the group or office ones." I had plenty of office work which are really nice and taught me so much.

General: I strongly considered my personal profile and background. This way the reason you go to grad school becomes more convincing.

All the luck for the starters!

May 9, 12 12:57 pm  · 
 · 
PradaTransformer

Congrats Jaded!

Which programs did you apply to? M.Arch I or M.Arch II/SmarchS?

May 9, 12 10:42 pm  · 
 · 

-21/M/Nigeria

in: Miami university, Dessau institute of Architecture Germany

May 11, 12 8:21 am  · 
 · 
jaded

Hey PT,

Thank you! I will start SMarchS Architecture and Urbanism.

May 13, 12 10:29 am  · 
 · 
aspenarnthors

22/F/Icelandic

Before I begin, I think I need to explain a little bit about the Icelandic school system. The mandatory education here is grades 1-10 which are equivalent to american grades K-9. Then, to enter college, we must complete a student's degree which takes four years, and is equivalent to grades 10-12 and freshman year of college. Then, we go to college and it takes us 3 years to get an undergraduate degree. The school were you complete your student's degree is similar to community colleges, at least my school translates their name to Breidholt Community College. It is both confusing and rewarding seeing as when you start these "community colleges" you get to start specializing right away, unlike American high schools. I majored in Spatial Design and started studio work right away when I was sixteen (10th grade USA) and also took many art history courses (which led to my major in college, it was a breeze because of the preparation I had gotten from community college).

Anyway:

Student's Degree majoring in Spatial Design // minor Sociology // Breidholt Community College // 2009

GPA: 3.1

B.A. in Creative Writing // minor Art History // University of Iceland // 2012

GPA: 3.1

GRE: V152 // Q148 // A4.0

TOEFL ibt: 117

3 recommendation letters, one from community college studio professor, one from head of Creative Writing department at U Iceland (who was my professor as well) and one from my current boss, I work at a home for disabled people.

I think the thing that stands out about me is probably my essay, which I don't feel comfortable about posting. I go into my background in detail, talking about how growing up in Sweden, Seattle and Iceland has formed me, and how I have wanted to be an architect since before I was walking. I also talked about my world view, and how I would like to see the future in architecture.

My portfolio only consisted of work I did in Spatial Design, and a few conceptual sketches, it was very plain and I didn't have a lot of confidence in it. Unfortunately I do not have a link to it.

No special preparatory programs, just my experience from the Spatial Design program. I got to work with actual architects and artists, it was so much fun.

Applied to: Cooper Union, University of Washington, SCI-Arc, University of Louisiana Lafayette.

IN: SCI-Arc M.Arch 1

OUT: University of Washington, Cooper Union

ULL requested some sort of assessment of my B.A. degree, and I was about to send my transcripts to WES when I got into SCI-Arc, so I didn't do it, and will probably not hear from them. Pretty sure that was the only thing standing in my way of admission though.

Still need to finish Calculus and Physics, will be taking them in summer school this June.

Since I'm in Iceland, I didn't go to any open houses.

Final decision: SCI-Arc.

Still can't believe I got in, it's the school of my DREAMS! By mid-May I had given up all hope. I didn't expect getting in anywhere but ULL.

May 27, 12 7:20 pm  · 
 · 
wangfei

a little bit late but hope it will be helpful

24 / m / china

b.a., soa, tsinghua university, beijing

gpa: 3.73

in: 

princeton soa     m.arch ii

harvard gsd    m.arch ii

yale soa   m.arch ii

(i canceled mit  s.march s after i got 3 admissions above)

finally head to princeton

my personal works and words are sorted out upon: 

www.studiowangfei.tumblr.com

stay a while and listen! hope you enjoy.

Jul 31, 12 4:39 am  · 
 · 
bhuner

Hi jaded congrats!

Is there a chance for you to upload an example of your portfolio??

Aug 13, 12 7:18 am  · 
 · 

SCIARCer   can you please post your portfolio.I am also applying for m.ARCH 1 AND NEED SOME IDEA ABOUT MAKING PORTFOLIO.i am doing civil engineering from bits-pilani

Sep 5, 13 2:23 pm  · 
 · 
kadam-patil

hi sankalp are you applying this year ,m a prospective march 1 applicant too with a bs in civil engineering 

Sep 6, 13 11:13 am  · 
 · 
harikakoripalli

21/Female/India

B.Arch 5 years

GPA 3

GRE : 143 Verbal, 160 Quant ,AWA 2.5

IELTS: 7

3 letters of recommendation from principal, 2- professors

i'am looking for the universities to apply for M.Arch II programme., I am really very confused to which collges can i apply to- please suggest some safe universities i can get admits based on my profile..

Thanks

Oct 29, 13 3:47 am  · 
 · 
mindarch

Hi I have a small enquiry....I got a toefl score of 99 and the minimum requirement at harvard gsd is 92 with a sectional requirement of 23..

The problem is i got 21 in reading and the remaining i crossed the 23 mark.

should i be taking the test again?

please help!!

Sep 10, 14 4:22 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: