Archinect
anchor

Will Frank Gehry win this competition?

piero1910

I was looking at some new projects in Los Angeles, and I saw this article which says that they are gonna build a new courthouse there. In the article, there is a list of architects who are competing to design this building. So, I saw that Frank Gehry is mentioned. Also, Thom Mayne of Morphosis who is another good architect. Thus, I wanna know your opinion. Thanks

http://la.curbed.com/archives/2012/02/14_architects_for_federal_courthouse.php

Mar 18, 12 12:58 am
BrianYamagata

I will personally, always vote for anything by Thom and Morphosis. I just love their work! I don't know if it's their existing SF Federal Building, Caltrans, etc, but I feel that their style exemplifies a NEW civic architecture.

Mar 18, 12 5:41 am  · 
 · 

what a wildly unfocused list! morphosis is in pretty well with gsa, obviously. there are several excellent firms there, and most would be good choices - but would deliver completely different results.

the question here is what would the selection folks be looking for? if they want gehry: gehry, if they want heavy research/reinvention but a more quiet architecture: cannon. the others fall between these on a sort of spectrum between signature design style and deep exploration of program and solutions. 

it would be great if an l.a. firm were selected. that's a quick way to reduce the shortlist. 

Mar 18, 12 8:39 am  · 
 · 
piero1910

Yeah, I know what you mean. Thom Mayne has designed a lot of public/civic buildings which is good. But I was thinking that Frank Gehry probably will want to win this because his Grand Avenue Project in LA has been delayed a lot. Therefore,  he would design something really amazing. 

Mar 18, 12 11:44 am  · 
 · 
zonker

SF Federal works because Morphosis's circulation plan encourages interaction - something L.A. could use and no parking structure - this was done to encourage people to use public transit - 

Mar 18, 12 5:29 pm  · 
 · 
pi12

no.

Mar 18, 12 6:36 pm  · 
 · 
accesskb

really?  how is one to know until the design submissions have been released? 

Mar 18, 12 6:37 pm  · 
 · 

it would be great if an l.a. firm were selected. that's a quick way to reduce the shortlist. 

Steven, one of the frms SOM is re-opening their LA office few decades later...

Mar 18, 12 6:47 pm  · 
 · 
piero1910

we know that, but it would be better if a firm based on LA will design this project because they would care more about the project. As I said that Frank Gehry probably will want to have another great project in the city where he lives. 

Mar 18, 12 7:48 pm  · 
 · 

well, let me tell you, the cost on that bad boy is huge - like 320M huge. and, if memory serves, it's potentially a design/build. if so, most of those teams are going to do as well as their construction partners.

gsa's design excellence program is a great fit for this - it's going to be a hard decision on some levels, probably not so hard on others. my guess is that if one of the 'alterna' l.a. firms gets shortlisted (gehry, brook scarpa, etc.), it's going to be one of the ones who've completed several larger institutional projects.

Mar 18, 12 7:57 pm  · 
 · 
*your name

Putting Brooks Scarpa in the same parenthesis with Gehry is bit of a stretch. I think this is a project for people with actual experience building in that scale, not just speculative renderings. I am for lesser known and younger firms but their past work has to prevail a particular genius for architecture and urban design for that kind of a loaded site and program. You can only go so far by pasting metal screens on every project. In that respect, get the original screen act, Gehry.

All in all, if GSA is getting really adventurous, I think Michael Maltzan would be a good choice for this project. Both Mayne and Gehry already have their marks on downtown Los Angeles. Most others are the corporate big boys looking for a recession aid for a delivery of a safe and trite building. 

Mar 18, 12 10:00 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

I will personally, always vote for anything by Thom and Morphosis. I just love their work! I don't know if it's their existing SF Federal Building, Caltrans, etc, but I feel that their style exemplifies a NEW civic architecture.

I dunno - that cooper union building is atrocious.

Mar 19, 12 9:41 am  · 
 · 

SF Federal works because Morphosis's circulation plan encourages interaction - something L.A. could use and no parking structure - this was done to encourage people to use public transit -

Interaction and good circulation are not on the top list of priorities for a building that literally and figuratively sentences people to death.

That's like asking for some nice marquetry and gold leaf on the guillotine.

Mar 19, 12 11:13 am  · 
 · 
piero1910

I understand all your points, but I am just asking. Don't you think Frank Gehry would want to have another building in LA? Because the last project that he designed in Los Angeles was the Walt Disney concert hall that is actually built. Since, The Grand Avenue Project is taking a long time to start the broke ground. I am talking about projects in Large scales. I know that he has some projects around LA area but they are not as big as these ones. 

Mar 19, 12 1:10 pm  · 
 · 

the answer to 'will frank gehry win?' is..... no.

shortlist announced and the gray haired master didn't make the cut. of course, the one firm i suggested would have a hard time actually did. glad to see them give b+s a chance...

Shortlisted teams:

Skidmore Owings & Merrill with Clark
Yazdani Studio of Cannon Design, Gruen Associates and Rios Clementi Hale with Hensel Phelps
Brooks + Scarpa and HMC Architects with McCarthy
NBBJ Architects with Mortensen

more at archdaily

Apr 5, 12 8:43 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: