Archinect
anchor

The Inevitable Project Runway Thread

myriam

Yeah--lars--I don't really have a problem with help as long as it's all out in the open. A competition should be judged on as equal grounds as possible. That's probably why Tim Gund was all, if you had help, here's your chance to tell me.

Oct 16, 06 4:19 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

but then he admitted to having sent some work out. just can't quite
figure out how much work other people are allowed to do.

Oct 16, 06 4:31 pm  · 
 · 
stephanie

maybe someone on archinect needs to try to secure an interview with laura!

Oct 16, 06 6:44 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Oh the horror!

I am stuck in St. Louis for the finale Wednesday night. Please try to keep all talk of the winner to this thread because I won't be able to see it until I get home Thursday at the earliest! God this is killing me!

Oct 18, 06 12:20 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Am I really the first one to comment on last night's show? It should have been Uli, that seems pretty clear to me.

Michael's pushed the line of glamour a little too far and ended up slutty. Laura's collection was solid but predictable, with one exception: that gold belt with the ebading that blended into the silver beading was stunning, I couldn't take my eyes off it, looked exactly like a lava flow! Such simple moves with simple material can have an amazing effect, this is a lesson for architects too.

Jeffrey's was certainly fresh and inventive but overall I thought sloppy, too costumey, and unwearable for most women. Uli's on the other hand I thought was perfect: totally wearable, every piece was fun AND flattering, beautifully made, the pieces moved and flowed with the models' movements - Jeffrey's by contrast all looked like the flowing fabric was hindering the models. Oh well. Good for him, and Uli will be successful anyway. All three who did not win were graceful in their loss which is great to see - but I bet Jeffrey wouldn't have been!

DubK I hope you enjoy your delayed viewing of it.

Oct 19, 06 8:49 am  · 
 · 
archasm

I was really disappointed in Michaels line. I thought it was plain and unattractive. The other three did really well. I thought most of Lauras dresses were beautiful, esp that one with the chartreuse belt.
Uli's stuff was amazing, very creative. Its hard to make gold and silver look good together. Jeffrey's stuff would work on Gwen Stefani as MKors would say, but I can't see many women wearing it. The first dress he sent out was really cool though. Loved the show, loved the collections, they all did very well. Except Michael... too bad. I love that guy.

Oct 19, 06 6:43 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

you guys have made me love fashion again!!!

Oct 19, 06 7:24 pm  · 
 · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

i liked some of Uli's work - color, pattern and such - but her clothes look like mumu's for the fashion friendly in hawaii...jeffery's had edge and looked fantastic. all that drama last week and all that happened was jeffery lost a piece....

Oct 19, 06 9:27 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I have to disagree with both of you about Jeffrey's, especially that first dress. It looked sloppy, it hung badly - meaning the fabric didn't appear to be falling in a natural line, ti looked trapped by the hem -, it wasn't at all flattering to a woman's body, the fabric - all his fabrics - looked like JoAnn Fabrics quality. That dress with the two different color stripes bisecting down the center of the model's chest? Clown costume. My god his stuff was just awful - if he had been allowed to use the wigs he never would have won because that would have pushed it all over the top to Halloween-style!

Come on beta...when Uli's model pulled off that "dress" to reveal that it was a swimsuit coverup didn't you catch your breath and think "Gorgeous!"?

Oct 19, 06 9:40 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

So I downloaded the show off the internet and watched it tonight.

I actually liked all the work but like everyone else, was disappointed in Michael's line. I think with him, he responds well to limits and given a ton of time and money, he got kind of lost.

Laura's line was beautifully done and I could see myself purchasing something in the same vein. However.....

I completely disagree that Uli's line was so much more wearable than Jeffrey's. Certainly if you are a size 2 and have no boobs, then yes, you can walk around in flowy fabrics with big slits down the front and everything will work fine. However, if you are like most of us and need some sort of support, then you can imagine how I would appreciate Jeffrey's attention to detail and structure. Also I thought it was so innovative, to borrow a line from the show. It looked like the designer versions of stuff that I would buy at H&M. I loved it!

I think the ones in Jeffrey's line that I didn't like were very similar to the ones in Uli's line that I didn't like. The long-ish ones with the flowy fabric that just kind of hung there. They might be pretty but only 1% of the population can wear them and that's a perpetuation of an ideal that does nothing for me.

So, sorry, lb, we're going to have to agree to disagree on this one!

Oct 19, 06 11:01 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I just didn't see either structure OR detail in his work: it seemed he was fighting against the fabric's own structure in virtually every piece. The sheer little jacket and zippy vest had lots of seaming, but weren't particularly innovative. And as for structure, every one of his dress waistlines was too high - the models looked uncomfortable. None of the structures fit in the way that, say, Laura's did.

As for detail, Uli's shirt that appeared to be a tank but revealed a ring connection in the back was IMO a show stopper.

I'm fine with agreeing to disagree though. I admit that part of what I don't like about Jeffrey's is it felt very mid-80s to me, and having lived through those fashions I don't recall them fondly. And obviously I disagree with the judges, and surely they have more educated fashion eyes than I!

Oct 19, 06 11:41 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

And sorry, DubK, I do want to hear if you have a response and talk more on it all but I need to get to bed now...

Oct 19, 06 11:42 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

I too thought Uli was overrated by far; but I also think Laura was. None of her stuff was particularly thrilling or interesting to me; they were all kind of mid-range ok. Nothing jumped out. Same with Uli. A couple of Michael's jumped out at me, and a couple of Jeffrey's jumped out at me, but overall I thought Jeffrey hit more highs and Michael more lows (I agree about the time-limit thing WonderK mentioned) and therefore I agreed with the judges' decision. Also, it helps that I LOVE the zipper dress. And that split colored one. I would wear a bunch of Jeffrey's stuff and a bunch of Michael's but I could never in my life wear anything of Laura's or Uli's! Laura is too confining, precise, and straight-edged overall and Uli is the opposite, too diaphanous and unbound for my personal taste. There you go, my two cents!

Oct 20, 06 9:30 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

Diaphanous! myriam wins a gold star for "best descriptive word of the day". And it's true! You hit the nail right on the head.

Oct 20, 06 11:42 am  · 
 · 
larslarson

saw alison in a bar last night and she's rather attractive in person
as well.

that and making the acquaintance of one susan surface and it
was quite the evening.

Dec 8, 06 10:56 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

lars, what a glamourous life you lead!

( I know I misspelled glamorous, but I like it better that way.)

Dec 8, 06 11:58 am  · 
 · 
stephanie

did you see alison and susan in the same bar?
i think that would be over the hotness occupancy load.

Dec 8, 06 12:05 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

yeppers steph. the bar was smokin.

and lb. sometimes it's rough.

Dec 8, 06 12:25 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

bravo's doing a project runway marathon today of this season

they're on the dog challange right now .. just finished the miss usa gown

god bless the u.s.a.!

Jul 4, 07 3:08 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Am I the only one watching it this season?

And am I the only one who thought spit-marking was a clever trick and not at all gross?!

Nov 23, 07 10:26 am  · 
 · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

i am dvr'g it...so i'm in.

Nov 23, 07 10:32 am  · 
 · 
won and done williams

i'm watching it.

but i definitely thought spit marking was gross. what did she say? it was creating some spiritual energy in the fabric. weird and annoying.

no favorites yet, still trying to sort out the characters. the little androgynous snobby guy seems to be the only one that stands out at this point. and the spit marker. and the bald middle eastern guy's, (rami?), dress from the first show of the season was fairly remarkable.

i'm looking forward to this season. always have my wednesday nights booked.

Nov 23, 07 10:39 am  · 
 · 
le bossman

what the hell are you guys talking about?

Nov 23, 07 10:43 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

ja, I think that comment about imbuing the fabric with spiritual energy via spit was a joke. She's wacky and she knows it. And the fit of her dress (under the cape, which I wasn't crazy about) was perfect.

God, have a baby - a tiny bit of spit is totally benign.

The little asymmetrical hair guy - Christian? - is fun, but I'm not crazy about his work so far - too 80s, but very complex and impressive for his age (21!).

I thought the dress that won this week - with the Minnie Mouse bow and little vest - was terrible. Just awful in every way.

Nov 23, 07 10:52 am  · 
 · 
won and done williams

i don't know, lb. i'm sensing a serious new age streak in her. the whole "polymorphic" thing - bad vibes.

my wife really likes the asian woman's work who won this week's. her dress from the first week was pretty good. i think she'll be a player this season.

Nov 23, 07 10:57 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

lb, I actually don't think it was a joke. I think she's a little crazy.

Through an unfortunate series of events I only caught the first 10 minutes and the last 5, but it was enough to know who was and wasn't going home when they were kicking people off. I think the little blond girl is this season's Alison....I think I like her stuff so I hope she doesn't go home early. Also, Carmen is very interesting. Good stuff.....from now on, my Wednesday nights are booked as well!

Nov 23, 07 1:39 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

I don't think the spit was a joke either. I didn't understand the whole grossness of it, but then again I'm not easily grossed out. So far Sweet P has intrigued me as has Victoria. The big guy Chris, for whatever reason, cracks me up . I'm not impressed with Christian's designs, especially that uber 80's creation. It was even unflattering on the model so I can't even imagine what it would look like on an average woman's body.

Nov 23, 07 2:21 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

"And am I the only one who thought spit-marking was a clever trick and not at all gross?!"

yes

Nov 24, 07 12:22 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

How many of you know the measuerment of the distance between your thumb and pinky tips when your hand is spread as wide as possible?

We should use our bodies for things, otherwise they atrophy and we become unmoored from the physical world. That's my comment on the spit mark thing.

Nov 24, 07 3:24 pm  · 
 · 
carbide

it takes me a few episodes to figure out who and what i like, and i really hope sweet p sticks around long enough to see if her work is as awesome as she seems. i'm an episode behind with alluc-lag but the new-ageyness so far seems far grosser than spit-marking.

(but seriously, who measures someone by hand when they have a tape beside them? it's not that much faster, and it's gotta be perturbing to be treated like a horse the first time you meet a person.)

anyone watching project runway canada? of the project runways and project catwalks, it's my favourite so far. there's no tim gunn and iman has this wooden/regal thing that i find hilarious and irritating in turn, but there's more design than drama, and i like that. (this is where the UK version, project catwalk, really sucked, but i guess they're not making competitive reality shows for design nerds.) there was a bratz challenge with an amusing runway bit (too slutty for bratz?!). i am crossing my fingers for a biddell/marie genevieve/lucien final, although i only like the first two.

Nov 24, 07 3:43 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Hmmm, maybe I should switch to the Canada show, I didn't know about it. I liek Iman, and her woodeness would be far more appealing than Heidi Klum's snottiness - I spend half the show hoping a runway light will crash onto her head just to shut her up.

Nov 24, 07 5:42 pm  · 
 · 
carbide

project runway aside: does anyone else get a great desire to refer to BRANDNAME ROOM after watching? euphemistically visiting the l'oreal paris make-up room, like. i have been joking about making models at school from cigarette packets when i run out of other materials, and quite fancy sabotaging my own crit with "and here the kids can access the PHILIP MORRIS library annex...".

Nov 26, 07 11:37 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

OMG, I don't even really care about menswear.

But this is the best Project Runway ever.

Nov 28, 07 10:28 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Yeah that challenge was out of control. But they are really bringing the celebrities in this time around!

This year's group is really full of characters, but my favorite all-time challenge was the one in Season 3 (i think) where they had to design outfits for the socialite with the matching doggie. Those dogs were the cutest things ever, and BRAVO to whoever thought that one up.

Nov 29, 07 4:30 am  · 
 · 
won and done williams

last night's show was hilarious. sweet p's outfit - couldn't stop laughing and the model's expression while wearing that thing was priceless. i don't know why the one guy won - he put together a matchy matchy frat boy button down and pin stripe pants - is that fashion? can't wait to see tiki wearing that thing.

Nov 29, 07 8:03 am  · 
 · 
laurilan

i totally agree about the winner - i thought it wasn't very inventive. and i actually thought there were too many stripes with the whole thing.

i think the most hilarious part about the show was not actually the show, but listening to the comments of the 7 gay men i was with.

"male models!!!"

Nov 29, 07 8:09 am  · 
 · 
****melt

It was out of control last night, but a good one none the less. I can't imagine how hard it would it be to create menswear when you have only had experience making women's clothes. That tie Sweet P's made was hysterical.

The dog one was a great one DubK, but I I think my favorite show was from the second season where Daniel made a dress that was inspired by an orchid. I think that was the challenge where they had to take the inspiration from their environment.

Nov 29, 07 8:19 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

laurilan....7 gay men?!? Did you infiltrate a committee meeting or something?! As my gay best friend would say, were they updating the handbook? :o)

Seriously though, the gay guys on this season's show are AWESOME, as in, entertaining. I hereby nickname them "Waterworks" because they almost all start crying when something goes wrong, or right. It doesn't take much, does it? I think the blond one is my favorite, because he's so subtle, and proper.

I heart Kevin though, he's good, AND he's straight....what a trooper.

I will watch any show with a bunch of male models taking off their clothes!

Nov 30, 07 12:57 am  · 
 · 
won and done williams

what was up with the copying of the shorts pattern? it seemed like a major storyline that wasn't followed up on. i have a feeling that one may be coming back in future episodes. it's too similar to what happened last season when the one guy was kicked off for having a pattern book. we'll see.

Nov 30, 07 8:05 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

Oh my gosh I love this show. Tonight is so good. Quote of the week, from Tim Gunn: "I've made lots of bad decisions at 3 am" then the designers start snickering, and someone says "Names! I want names!".

Designers, gather 'round!

Dec 13, 07 1:31 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

That may have been the best PR ever.

Dec 13, 07 2:04 am  · 
 · 
****melt

That was pretty funny. I was sad that Jack leave, but I can totally understand.

Dec 13, 07 12:11 pm  · 
 · 
brer

I think I like Tim Gunn because he's something of a caricature of design teachers - a satire on all of my art and architecture studio instructors. He is always my favorite part of the show.

Dec 13, 07 2:47 pm  · 
 · 
SavedByTech

i forgot about this thread - MY FAVOURITE SHOW!
but please could i ask the US contingent to be careful towards your EU counterparts: were at the end of series 3 (we had the reunion last week), so if you're ahead please mark your post SPOILER or something...i can't know the result in advance!

in fact i'm afraid to read the thread...argh, the agony.

btw. why do i get so much shit from male flatmates for watching this? i have to sneak down at 2am and watch this when everyone's gone to bed in order to avoid the sarcastic comments.

Dec 13, 07 3:52 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

we're getting closer to fashion week

oh the joy!

Jan 17, 08 12:44 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I enjoyed last night's show, in a slightly sadistic way. I just wish Christian would hush up, he's like a Chihuahua. Their dress was pretty cool, but the big wing-like thing off the back was not glamourous - a little too big. Victoria and the curly-haired girl's outfit was really perfect.

Jan 17, 08 11:38 am  · 
 · 
rozz

Can someone tell my why Ricky cries in every effin episode? I mean come on already! To have Kit and Kevin be booted off and Ricky still be there is beyond me. ?????

Jan 17, 08 3:51 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

he'll be gone next episode. he's this season's vincent. every week you expect him gone, and they keep bringing him back.

i love jillian. i think she's gonna win it. i thought rami was her main competitor, but he seems to be a one trick pony.

i think christian's a pretty good designer, but he needs a few years. he's still a little rough.

Jan 17, 08 3:59 pm  · 
 · 
rozz

Yeah Jillian is turning out to be a great designer...one word...
TWIZZLERS!!! Unbelievable outfit. Didn't think she was going to pull through. Christian is still my favorite though. I predict the top three will be Christian, Rami, and of course Jillian.

Jan 17, 08 4:37 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

First off, I want to thank that person on YouTube for uploading all the episodes the day after. I want my free cable back!

That said, I'm disappointed that Kevin left last week and Kit this week. They were my Alisons of this season. On the flip side, Ricky is like the Sanjaya of Project Runway. Similar to what jafidler said, Sanjaya + Vincent + Angela rolled up into one, well-intentioned ball of tears. Unfortunately though, you knew it was going to happen as soon as they paired Kit with Ricky. The stronger one is always team leader and the weaker one pulls the strong one down. I wish they would mix it up for once and send a team member home, and not a leader.

Theirs was the weakest design this week. Jillian and Victorya's kicked so much ass. I wanted to put it on and prance around in it.

Jan 18, 08 12:37 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: