Archinect
anchor

The Inevitable Project Runway Thread

myriam

The skirt of kayne's dress was beautifully done, I thought. The bodice was not good. I missed the whole french part though! ack!

Sep 7, 06 10:25 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

I am glad that Vincent is gone. His love for himself + that ugly dress finally did it. Frankly, as entertaining as he was, and as much as I appreciated his humility in the Everyday Woman challenge, he should never have gotten that far.

I still love the show and I love Michael Knight, but I am still disappointed. I hate to love Jeffrey but his dress last night was glorious and the first real "Project Runway" type of garment that I think we have seen all season. I was thinking about Santino last night - how every single week you knew that at least he was going to give us something wildly overstylized and fantastical, even if it was over the top.

Laura's construction is excellent but a 13-piece collection is not made on construction skills alone. Methinks the exhaustion from her pregnancy will contribute to her demise next week, well that and the fact that she's starting to look like a one-note wonder.

Also, I liked Kayne's dress last night. I thought it was interesting. I thought in the context of the challenge it wasn't tacky so they must have seen something I did not.

On a side note, I think New York Fashion Week starts, um, tomorrow so if anyone is in NYC and wants to sneak into the tent and take some pics for us that would rule.

Sep 7, 06 10:26 am  · 
 · 
stephanie

are there veteran runwayers with shows at fashion week this year?

Sep 7, 06 10:29 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

Hmmm. That's a good question. I was refering to the notion that if the timing is right, I think that the final 3 designers from our current PR season will be showing their collections this week. Spy cameras, anyone?

Sep 7, 06 11:43 am  · 
 · 
myriam

ack no! I don't want the surprise spoiled! I enjoy the thrill of waiting to see who gets booted too much ;)

Also, I think the guy who won Season 1 is showing a full collection this year, the one he made with his winnings.

Sep 7, 06 12:03 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

I will be interested to see if he does, myriam. I missed the first season but according to friends who did watch it, he was quite good.

Sep 7, 06 2:47 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

He WAS good. The first season was by far the best. Made Santino look like the joke he was. You should rent it.

Sep 7, 06 3:04 pm  · 
 · 
stephanie

i second that! i loved jay! everybody loves jay! and there was funny model drama in the first season, that hasn't really happened since.

Sep 7, 06 3:41 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

Yeah I miss getting to know the model aspect of things like you did in the first season... really you got a sense of what they have to do to compete, too. But I guess that's covered in 'Top Model' anwyay, and we get to see more design this way...

Jay was fantastic. A bunch of them were talented. My fave in the second season was Andre... also Cleo or whatever her name was, and she won, so it worked out for me. :D

Now if only Michael wins, I'll be 3 for 3!!!!

Sep 7, 06 3:46 pm  · 
 · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

i have to say that jeffrey and michael are the top two, and if jeffrey's mouth can keep writing checks his ass can cash then he'll win, but if not look for michael to take it. jeffrey's paris outfit was perfect, and while i certainly don't know much about couture, it seemed to me that his dress was in the spirit of what was asked.

Sep 7, 06 7:22 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

michael did not do a good job at Paris - pretty mediocre.
As for Laura, she's got a lot going for her as she is on her nth kid and is an architect blah blah, and there is a certain emotional quotient attached to it, but in the end the competition should be fair and hte results should be based on the product, not on the person's history and life. I hope Laura gets canned next, her designs are so boring and 2-d, as an architect i think she really could do better.

Sep 7, 06 8:04 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

I totally agree sameolddoctor, but don't you have to think that there is some sort of creative burnout that goes along with all of this? We look at it and say this and that about the designs but when it comes down to it, these guys are doing studio projects every flipping day and then at the end of the day, someone who they've bonded with has to go home. That's just a mindfuck.

I'm sorry. I could talk about this all day. I love to sew and wish I could sketch like them so I could try this too.

Sep 7, 06 11:47 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

yea WonderK i agree that the way people are sent back after tremendous efforts can be a bit painful, but then, its a competition. My SO is a fashion designer too and being with her has surely given me a newfound respect for fashion designers and the super-intense amount of work they put into their work. Well maybe laura isn't that bad, just that her work is kinda boring and she has to be oh-so-righteous all the time....

Sep 8, 06 1:11 am  · 
 · 
larslarson

wonderk

dont you think they probably have a couple days between competitions?
not sure..but this can't all be filmed in a couple weeks right?

Sep 8, 06 2:37 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

I've always wondered about the timing. I feel like they want us to think that their only down time is after the runway shows.

Laura is kinda boring. We call that "classic". And Keith cracked me up when he called her Bad Mommy. I guess when you're used to correcting the behavior of 5 youngsters all the time, it's hard not to do with any adults that you are forced to commune with. Also, I'd really like to introduce her to my birth control pill. Ah, 20th century medical advances.

I keep thinking of how this would be if it were all architects designing little buildings every few days. Can you imagine the lack of craft on those things? I'm jealous that these fashion designers can do this gorgeous stuff in 2 days whereas anything we did in 2 days would look like ass.

Sep 8, 06 8:32 am  · 
 · 
larslarson

i have a sneaking suspicion that they're given more time than they
say...to heighten the drama. just seems as though more people
wouldn't finish each time.. and there have been a couple times
where someone has been struggling and they'll say '1 hr left' and
they haven't even started...and all of sudden they have something
out of the blue.

they have writers on these shows for a reason.

as far as a show for architects what would be the equivalent building
challenges? i don't think it's unrealistic for a tailor to put together
a suit or the like in a couple days, but you would never expect an
architect to design a building in a few days...although when i was
in school we had all kinds of two or three day competitions. and
we put out some pretty good stuff. not much in terms of models,
but definitely had boards done.

Sep 8, 06 9:33 am  · 
 · 
larslarson

you probably wouldn't expect a couture designer to put
something together in a couple days either in retrospect.

Sep 8, 06 9:35 am  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

i can design something in 2 days, but not be able to represent it well. Now thats where i get jealous of fashion designers - they can design their stuff and get to make the actual product so fast. If it does not come out too good, big deal just make it again! The lack of permanance in that profession is what fascinates me.

Sep 8, 06 2:04 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

Am I the only one who hands down HATED laura's dress this time around, thought it did NOT fulfill the criteria, did not look good on the hot-ass model, the hair and makeup didn't work, nothing nothing nothing?!?! My roommate and I were absolutely FLABBERGASTED that the judges not only LIKED it but fucking gave it the win!!!!! I still can't believe it, I thought she'd go for sure. Michael's was absolutely beautiful once again, and his model was the only one whose hair and makeup looked like it fit with the dress design. I just don't get why they kept Laura in, let alone gave her the win.

Wow.

Sep 13, 06 11:30 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

You might not be the only one. It didn't get me off (as Vincent would say!) but I didn't hate it. I'm glad that Angela and Vincent underperformed (predictably) so that they got the boot AGAIN. Honestly I thought it was shitty that they brought them back to begin with. Angela's dress, if you can call it that, looked like absolute hell.

What it boiled down to was this: Uli's looked goofy, Jeffrey's looked cheap, and Kayne's didn't take him down a road that they haven't seen before. Micheal is always going to be good, and was tonight, but with Laura, she showed them range that she hasn't displayed before. It's too bad that she had to get whiny to get to that point. I mean I understand that she probably had a lot of pregnancy hormones running through her but after 20 years of being an architect, you would think she would take criticism a little bit better than that weepiness we saw this evening.

I thought the sleeves were bad. Beyond that I thought it was OK. I think she has really good construction skills, but I'd like to see her try to sew or design something not so drapey or hangy. I am sad that Kayne left because he can really make clothes. I hope he does well after this. (PS I still don't think his dress last week was as tacky as they thought it was)

Sep 13, 06 11:56 pm  · 
 · 
Smokety Mc Smoke Smoke

The best part was when Kayne starting chugging the champagne as soon as he saw Angela.

Sep 13, 06 11:59 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Perhaps the winner could get the opportunity to design for this brand new couture label:

Target Couture

Yes it is even pronouncedTar-zhay

Sep 14, 06 10:13 am  · 
 · 
stephanie

i agree SMSS! that, coupled with the look on jeffrey's face.

i was frustrated that they brought back the two most annoying people, and wish they would have given some of the nicer people a second chance...but, oh well.

i'm glad to see laura get a win finally. i think she deserved it for if anything, finally showing something without a plunging neckline, and for at least attempting to stay on the show, despite her self-doubt.

kayne. i dont know. i liked michael koors' quote that went a little something like "at least she didn't look like she was going to an elvis convention!"

hands down i would like to see full lines from any of the remaining 4, I'd like to see Uli do something that wasn't a hippy crazy sun dress. I would like to see Jeffrey something more sophisticated and clean. I would like to see Laura do pants. and Michael, I don't know, he can do whatever the hell he wants, because he already seems to have a range.

Sep 14, 06 10:21 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

I like Laura and I think she has done well with the challenges but I don't know if she can put together a full line. That said, I take the other three, and Michael for the win.

I wish Alison was still in it though.

Sep 14, 06 10:44 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

Exciting! All 4 of them get to go.

Here are pictures of their collections from Fashion Week. Predictable but interesting.

Sep 27, 06 11:12 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

WonderK, i've been trying like crazy to avoid leaks. i will not click on that link!

please don't talk about them!!!

Sep 27, 06 11:18 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

OK, I won't, I promise :o)

The reunion show is going to be good. Keith is back to stir the pot and everything.

Sep 27, 06 11:43 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I actually watched almost the whole show last night, instead of seeing just the runway portion as usual. I'm glad all four of them are going on. Uli's dress was really great. Jeffrey's sucked but it did show a different side of him and we all know he has a vision. Michael's photograph was gorgeous and the dress was lovely but I agreed that the keyhole was a little too revealing and unfinished.

I love Laura. I love her. She makes me feel proud to be an architect and a mother and a strong woman in the professional world and I absolutely love her. Granted, a lot of her work looks the same, but I've posted here before about the work of some artists I like - Richard DeVore being one I love - who explore pretty much one idea through their entire careers with incremental refinements over time. So I prefer to see her work that way. And I just love her personal style and when she cried last week about being so exhausted and pregnant I cried too and when she said "Fuck!" this week when the elevator door kept closing I again totally empathized. I adore Laura. I don't think she'll win, but I adore her.

Sep 28, 06 9:19 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

did any of them have their sweaters tucked in? thats the latest thing you know. word from the street.

Sep 28, 06 9:52 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

Um, did anyone see tonight's show?

I hope so because I'm going to talk about it now....

First of all, the ending was crap. We already know Jeffrey showed at Fashion Week, we know this because we saw the pictures of him on the Runway. I'm a little aghast that someone can just sit there and say, "his work is too good, i bet he didn't do it himself" without any inkling of proof and then suddenly the producers have to look into it. That's crap.

Now that all of this has happened, and I've gotten a glimpse of what he can really do, I'm rooting for him to win. Uli's is going to be a bunch of the same stuff over and over again, Michael's looks like it might be approaching tacky, and Laura just flat out pissed me off. I liked her before but she pissed me off! What a snotty thing to do.

And I actually love Jeffrey's stuff. It looks like a very fresh and young and punky collection, interchangable and wacky, but fun.

That is all.

Oct 11, 06 11:42 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

Laura is so bad...its really commendable that she has so many kids and has one more coming on the way, but she is a total bitch who cannot see good things happen to others. What she was trying to do with jeffrey was downright cheap. (Whats worse is that i heard from some friends - oh yes, laura is an architect, what else can you expect from architects-wtf)

Again i really appreciate the fact that she is doing so much in her life, but then really, this show is about design and her design is repetitive (with the big stupid buckle in everything), and she has NEVER appreciated anything anyone else has done uptil now. what worries me even more is that her fifteen (okay, five) kids are going to be as stupid and over-competitive as her when they grow up.

Oct 12, 06 2:47 am  · 
 · 
plastic_soldier

jeffery's collection is very forward thinking, which completely sets him apart and pisses Laura off....i think the root of her "attack" is this: she see's a relatively young guy, with limited formal design education, no school loans and a better sense of design than her long time trained, high status, artist bloodline self. plus, laura the architect, of all people, should know a thing or two about designing something and then dropping it in other peoples hands for production...needless to say, i think i've seen most of her work over the past 5 years at bloomingdales and bannana republic...cocktails are cocktials.
michael needs to learn how to edit his work...he creates something great, and then sprinkle's his bling all over it...uli's collection is what it is...

Oct 12, 06 7:08 am  · 
 · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

it was a pretty underhanded tactic to claim something only based on feeling, and what was produced on the challenges. it's one thing to design and construct one piece in one or two days - how would that ever have any quality about it - and another to spend two plus months and your every waking hour doing a collection. i think she is jealous that she was not able to spend the time jeffrey did, because of her brood.

by the by, did anyone catch that husband? is that a case of the student fucking the professor? he looks like he's 10-15 years her senior. don't tell me she didn't fuck him for an 'a'. what i want is to see her work.

Oct 12, 06 7:18 am  · 
 · 
Oops!!

liberty bell - what are your thoughts about Laura after the last show?

Also, and I could be wrong here, but isn't the world of fashion constantly changing?

Do you think FASHION designers should "explore pretty much one idea through their entire careers with incremental refinements over time"? (This quote is about an artist...is Laura considered an artist?)

I'm asking questions because I don't know the answers. Also, I never really liked Laura or her work. I’m not attacking you, just interested in what you think...

I like Cranbrook...

Oct 12, 06 1:41 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

laura's husband looked like einstein

Oct 12, 06 2:14 pm  · 
 · 
stephanie

i think laura's accusations of jeffrey are pretty ridiculous and underhanded.

but i still really like the way her line looks! it looks goregous, and like things i would want to wear!

jeffrey has not been a favorite of mine, but i really LOVE the way his line is looking, and out of the four of them, it definately is the most forward and fresh. (as everyone has already stated.)

<conspiracy>so..back to the end/previews for next week, tim gunn totally said "unfortunately"!!! you can't say "unfortunately, laura, you're wrong" UNFORTUNATELY sounds bad! i wonder if jeffrey was disqualified, but still got to show. and i also think something fishy went on with his receipts.</conspiracy>

Oct 12, 06 3:51 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

stephanie, insider news is that jeffrey showed at olympus fashion week...

Oct 12, 06 5:04 pm  · 
 · 
stephanie

i know that...i'm just sayin', maybe he wasn't a contestant anymore when he showed.

Oct 12, 06 5:22 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

The thing is, that even though what Laura said was bitchy (and also did her no favors), I can't really say that it's such a big deal, because fashion is bitchy and petty and overly competitive and I'm sure Jeffrey's prepared and able to deal with that. It sucks that they're going to go through his receipts, and frankly, I think that if they go through his (which they kinda have to in order to maintain the integrity of the show premise) then they should go ahead and go through everyone's receipts and make it anonymous and uniform. That would it would be about the RULES and not about the petty relationships.

But still, Laura should have shut up and let her designs speak for themselves. Life isn't fair--who among you guys thought instantly of that guy in studio who had tons of money and could pay for incredible full-color plotted presentations--or that girl who always had her boyfriend the shop monitor help make her models? I mean the bottom line is, either the designs are good, or they ain't.

Wait actually, come to think of it, that analogy doesn't work since studio isn't a competition where there is one winner... hmm. Well, anyway...

Oct 12, 06 6:36 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

**then it would be about the rules

Oct 12, 06 6:37 pm  · 
 · 
stephanie

i was under the assumption that they do go through everyone's receipts.
nothing big and accusatory happened last season, instead they just had to design an additional garment at the last minute, but remember season one with kara saun's shoe debacle? it seems like this sort of thing is just the nature of the show/industry as mayriam pointed out.

Oct 12, 06 6:44 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

mhopkins, I didn't see this week's show!! So I don't know what to think about Laura. I'll try to catch it in repeats this week.

The bulk of the fashion world certainly changes quickly and is all about being fresh and new and the "next look" and all. But I do think there are designers who make (by comparison) minimal changes, who are really exploring an idea or two for a long period. The Chanel suit comes to mind immediately, of course, although I'm not really familiar with how it has changed over the years I believe that within the boundaries of the iconic "Chanel suit" one can make changes from year to year in fabric, hem length, detailing etc. but still always recognize a Chanel suit.

Here is picture of "litle black dresses" by Yves Saint-Laurent, ranging from 1975-1992.

I see in that image 20 years of exploring some similar ideas. I'm certainly not saying every bit of fashion needs to be this serious, but I am happy that the range of young super-hip through YSL is available.

Oct 12, 06 9:41 pm  · 
 · 
Oops!!

liberty bell- good argument.

I see in that image 7 items that could be Laura's collection (granted, I know very little about fashion).

I think, in this case it could be compared to something like Bill Massie and Oscar Niemeyer. Jeffery is to Bill (young, clumsy, pushing limits to some extent) as Oscar is to Laura (experienced, somewhat implacable, whose work is refined, simple, and beautiful but perhaps unattainable by many)…

That may be a really bad comparison…

In the end I’m looking for the newest freshest thing. Not because it’s flashy and fun or ‘it looks cool’ but because when people can except those crazy 12 piece dresses, there will be fewer limitations in which the "Chanel suit” could go. That’s exciting.

Who wants to own a cell phone that looks like a burnt orange rotary Trimline phone from the 1960’s? Same goes for clothes.

Oct 13, 06 9:39 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I totally agree with your Jeffrey:Bill :: Oscar:Laura comparison. Dead on.

As for freshness vs. refinement, there already are zero limitations on where the Chanel suit could go. Design is totally open. Some people choose to work within a certain set of limitations - that's a chosen boundary. Others want to defy every limitation possible - that's another chosen boundary, as it means not being able to repeat any ideas.

A burnt orange Trimline phone was super fresh and trendy, at one point....now it's kinda cool in a retro way, no? Good ideas will persevere through time.

Oct 13, 06 11:16 am  · 
 · 
stephanie

i totally disagree with your final point, mhopkins
there are plenty of people (like myself) who appreciate retro things - phones, clothing, furniture, burnt orange anything (kidding, kind of).

bad ideas even persevere through time.

Oct 13, 06 12:57 pm  · 
 · 
Oops!!

I have no problem with retro…just a problem with cheep imitations or things built/made to “look” old that are clearly new. i.e. the parking garage across the street that is made to look like it’s from the 1840’s! Did they have cars then? No! Did they have parking structures for wagons and horses…not so much.

Perhaps there were bad ideas that led to something great…

Oct 13, 06 3:05 pm  · 
 · 
archasm

if you want to see slideshows of the four finalists collections...
ruin your suprise here

Oct 13, 06 6:28 pm  · 
 · 
Stides

The thing about the Laura telling on Jeff thing, well it's not like Uli and Michael came over and told her she was crazy. They all agreed with her that it can't be all his work, they just didn't have the balls to speak up. I say good for her for not rolling over.

It's not implausible to think that Jeffrey had some help sewing this or that. I mean if he has people there working on his collection he can just say "here throw a zipper on this." He already admitted to getting pleats added to things.

Oct 14, 06 2:16 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

from what i understand though..it's not illegal for them to get
some work done...it just has to show up in their receipts right?
basically the idea being if they get work done by other people
they have to pay for it. which would be out of his budget.

the thing i'm interested in is how they could prove it.

this same sort of thing happened in my thesis year. a girl was
asked point blank in her review whether or not she had created
all the work that was being shown...she said she had. she won
second. the truth was that she had something like four people
help her (you were allowed to have some help..it's just that she
lied about it in front of the jury that pissed me off)
...the same thing with the girl that won first. they changed
the rules the next year to no outside help.

Oct 15, 06 5:28 pm  · 
 · 
stephanie

first season jay had people make really awesome knitted sweaters for his show, i think.

Oct 16, 06 3:58 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: